NHL Playoffs '09

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Honestly I think the league would do itself a favour in starting the season a little earlier and ending earlier: it does seem odd to be playing in June but then again kids play year round in summer schools, etc.

To answer some of the other points:

- there are NO teams in contention and NO teams made the playoffs with losing records. We can argue about the validity of some of the point values (with overtime/shootout losses given a point) but I think the league did the right thing in getting rid of ties.

- "Canadian Teams" are a myth in one respect and have been since we started bringing Europeans across to play. Canadian players still make up over half the league's player base but teams like Montreal and Vancouver have the bulk of their cores made of Swedes and Russians. Anaheim however won the Cup two years ago with a backbone of Canadian players. That all being said, the location of the expansion teams (of which Ottawa was one if we want to be fair) was largely dictated by the economics of the time, and our dollar being worth 65 cents US didn't make it possible for teams to compete. Now has the team expanded to some bad locations in the chase for that lucrative US TV deal? Yes. And the NHL is making noise about the possibility of coming back to Winnipeg too because the economics have improved.

- fighting. I know people like YJ are full of it when they get on rants about fighting. As talked about in other threads, stars like Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe used to fight. I'll agree it got out of control with the Broadstreet Bullies of the 70s but there isn't that much fighting in the game today and bench clearing brawls are more common in baseball. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but its not as bad as the critics who never watch it like to claim.

Talloola also made an excellent point about the quality of athlete now compared to "back in the day": guys that played in the 70s talk about it in interviews now. They talk about how much bigger and faster the players are, and how its a year round deal, not like when they came into training camp and had to sweat off 20lbs of off season beer.

Again no one is saying things are perfect, but this season's playoff run has been nothing short of spectacular. If you don't appreciate it, then go pout someplace else and let us enjoy it. I'm damned sure Lord Stanley would be proud to see the competition vying for his trophy!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Honestly I think the league would do itself a favour in starting the season a little earlier and ending earlier: it does seem odd to be playing in June but then again kids play year round in summer schools, etc.

To answer some of the other points:

- there are NO teams in contention and NO teams made the playoffs with losing records. We can argue about the validity of some of the point values (with overtime/shootout losses given a point) but I think the league did the right thing in getting rid of ties.

- "Canadian Teams" are a myth in one respect and have been since we started bringing Europeans across to play. Canadian players still make up over half the league's player base but teams like Montreal and Vancouver have the bulk of their cores made of Swedes and Russians. Anaheim however won the Cup two years ago with a backbone of Canadian players. That all being said, the location of the expansion teams (of which Ottawa was one if we want to be fair) was largely dictated by the economics of the time, and our dollar being worth 65 cents US didn't make it possible for teams to compete. Now has the team expanded to some bad locations in the chase for that lucrative US TV deal? Yes. And the NHL is making noise about the possibility of coming back to Winnipeg too because the economics have improved.

- fighting. I know people like YJ are full of it when they get on rants about fighting. As talked about in other threads, stars like Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe used to fight. I'll agree it got out of control with the Broadstreet Bullies of the 70s but there isn't that much fighting in the game today and bench clearing brawls are more common in baseball. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but its not as bad as the critics who never watch it like to claim.

Talloola also made an excellent point about the quality of athlete now compared to "back in the day": guys that played in the 70s talk about it in interviews now. They talk about how much bigger and faster the players are, and how its a year round deal, not like when they came into training camp and had to sweat off 20lbs of off season beer.

Again no one is saying things are perfect, but this season's playoff run has been nothing short of spectacular. If you don't appreciate it, then go pout someplace else and let us enjoy it. I'm damned sure Lord Stanley would be proud to see the competition vying for his trophy!

Yeah, they should try to start the season a little earlier,but it would be harder
on the teams that played the latest the previous season.
The training camps are short now, as the players arrive there in great shape,
have worked on their game for most of the summer, have worked out in the
gyms, knowing that if they don't, they won't be up to par at the camp, and
could get beat out by another player.
Kyle Welwood was not in very good shape coming to camp last season, but in
all fairness to him, he had a broken foot, and could not do very much till it
was healed enough to work out, so he was put on a strict diet, (canucks
staff had all of his meals prepared for him to take home), he was put on a strict
gym regime, and it took a while, but it definitely payed off, he has come
a long way since then.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Red Wings-Blackhawks Preview

May 22, 2009, 8:00 PM ET

CHICAGO (AP) - Pavel Datsyuk's scoring has been way down during the Detroit Red Wings' run at another Stanley Cup. And now the star center and MVP finalist has a sore foot to deal with headed into Game 3 of the Western Conference finals.
Datsyuk missed practice Thursday before the Red Wings departed for Chicago, but his coach and teammates were hoping he'd be able to go against the Blackhawks on Friday night.
Datsyuk was struck by a puck during Detroit's 3-2 overtime win in Game 2 on Tuesday night.
"He took a rocket off the foot the other night. We'll go from there and see what happens," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said.
He's day-to-day, simple. We'll see how his foot reacts."Datsyuk, who had 97 points in the regular season, has scored one goal in 13 playoff games. He did have an assist in Game 2, giving him two in the series and six in the postseason.​

email a friend!

Hawks Hope To Emulate Wings' Success At Home - 05/20/2009​

More news
Hawks Hope To Emulate Wings' Success At Home
Adam Kimelman | NHL.com staff writer NHL.com
May 20, 2009, 10:33 AM EDT

The Chicago Blackhawks have talked during the first two games of the Western Conference Finals against Detroit about not wanting to get sucked into the Red Wings' style.

Now, they hope to imitate the Wings by doing to them what Detroit just did to the Hawks -- win two straight games at home.

After a two-day layoff, Games 3 and 4 will be at the United Center Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

"You're supposed to win at home, that's the way I'm going to look at it," defenseman Brian Campbell said. "We go back home now and we need to take care of our business at home."

The Blackhawks have been strong at home in the postseason, going 5-1, and their 24 home wins during the regular season tied for fifth in the Western Conference.

"We should be excited about getting back to the United Center

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, they should try to start the season a little earlier,but it would be harder
on the teams that played the latest the previous season.
The training camps are short now, as the players arrive there in great shape,
have worked on their game for most of the summer, have worked out in the
gyms, knowing that if they don't, they won't be up to par at the camp, and
could get beat out by another player.
Kyle Welwood was not in very good shape coming to camp last season, but in
all fairness to him, he had a broken foot, and could not do very much till it
was healed enough to work out, so he was put on a strict diet, (canucks
staff had all of his meals prepared for him to take home), he was put on a strict
gym regime, and it took a while, but it definitely payed off, he has come
a long way since then.

Sure would make sense Talloola, years ago the reg. season was 70 games, which I feel is a pretty sensible number and that would enable the season to start the first of Oct. and the playoffs to end by about May 10. Wouldn't that be more sensible OR IS IT ALL ABOUT GREED?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sure would make sense Talloola, years ago the reg. season was 70 games, which I feel is a pretty sensible number and that would enable the season to start the first of Oct. and the playoffs to end by about May 10. Wouldn't that be more sensible OR IS IT ALL ABOUT GREED?

I guess for the NHL, greed does enter into it, the more games they play, the
more revenue, the more money they bring in. And, they have to take from the rich to
give to the poor in the league, as those ridiculous locations that don't bring
in enough revenue have to be 'helped out'.
It's not to do with the players, as they will make the same, no matter if the
season is shorter or longer, but the owners and the NHL make more money.
When Bettman and his like are brought into order, and told where to put
teams for the betterment of the league, it will improve.
They won't reduce amount of teams, and both sides, 'players assoc. and the NHL
will fight that, assoc. doesn't want to put players out of work, and the NHL
doesn't want to lose revenue (paid to them), even though they allow teams to
stay in the league who lose millions and millions each season, eg. the fight
going on in Phoenix right now.
The NHL is controlled by the board of governors, (bettman's bosses), and they
are also the owners I guess, (correct me if I'm wrong), so for them it's all about
profit. It was them who set the players contracts, by overbidding against each
other for the players, as they compete against each other for them, and
they are so rich, they play with their money like it's monopoly money. Now
they have the cap to follow, which is better for all, as it keeps those owners
in check, and will control salaries better, and keep the league in good parody.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess for the NHL, greed does enter into it, the more games they play, the
more revenue, the more money they bring in. And, they have to take from the rich to
give to the poor in the league, as those ridiculous locations that don't bring
in enough revenue have to be 'helped out'.
It's not to do with the players, as they will make the same, no matter if the
season is shorter or longer, but the owners and the NHL make more money.
When Bettman and his like are brought into order, and told where to put
teams for the betterment of the league, it will improve.
They won't reduce amount of teams, and both sides, 'players assoc. and the NHL
will fight that, assoc. doesn't want to put players out of work, and the NHL
doesn't want to lose revenue (paid to them), even though they allow teams to
stay in the league who lose millions and millions each season, eg. the fight
going on in Phoenix right now.
The NHL is controlled by the board of governors, (bettman's bosses), and they
are also the owners I guess, (correct me if I'm wrong), so for them it's all about
profit. It was them who set the players contracts, by overbidding against each
other for the players, as they compete against each other for them, and
they are so rich, they play with their money like it's monopoly money. Now
they have the cap to follow, which is better for all, as it keeps those owners
in check, and will control salaries better, and keep the league in good parody.

Yep, more games means more profits for the owners up to a point- That point being where being physical and mentally exhausted and subsequently injury prone, start biting into any profits. I think the whole pace is ludicrous- from Oct.1- Apr.10 they get two days off basically- on days they don't have games they still have to practice or work out in the gym, ride the bike whatever. It's no bloody wonder most of them are burnt out before 40. It's just about as insane as these chickens that are force fed under the lights 24/7.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yep, more games means more profits for the owners up to a point- That point being where being physical and mentally exhausted and subsequently injury prone, start biting into any profits. I think the whole pace is ludicrous- from Oct.1- Apr.10 they get two days off basically- on days they don't have games they still have to practice or work out in the gym, ride the bike whatever. It's no bloody wonder most of them are burnt out before 40. It's just about as insane as these chickens that are force fed under the lights 24/7.

With a 'few' exceptions, a hockey player who is 40, should be retiring, the body
is over it's peak of excellence, and there are many young players just bubbling
to get into the league.
I agree that some goalies are overplayed, but other positions should be able
to manage the schedule, and when they are dealing with injuries, the example
today is to allow them to 'heal' before they return, (with the exception of
playoffs). Years ago they would shove them back onto the ice, with concussions
and other injuries, and expect them to play. The care that is given to the
players now, is top notch, in regard to taking care of their body. And when
they have some time off, players who are dealing with 'body maintenance' can
and are allowed to take extra days off, which has been done many times.
These are top level professional athletes, being paid top dollars, and they
look after themselves very well, so I don't agree that they are burnt out, of
course with some exceptions, as there are some players who seem to be injury
prone, and do suffer more than the norm, and there are some players who
don't suffer any injuries, even though they play hard all the time.
The goalies are another problem, I don't think Luongo was burnt out at all this
year, only because he had all the time off healing from the pulled groin, but in
other years, he has played too many games, and should be controlled in that
respect, whether he likes it or not.
The chicken thing sounds legit. but it's not one of my areas of interest or knowledge,
so can't comment.;-)

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
More newsIt's A Great Day for Hockey - May 23
Sam Kasan
May 23, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT

Crosby

It's a Great Day for Playoff Hockey will be tracking the Penguins' Stanley Cup quest with constant updates throughout the postseason.

2:17 PM:
The Penguins are well aware that being up 2-0 in a series doesn’t mean that they are a lock to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. Pittsburgh was down to the Washington Capitals in the semifinals 2-0 and fought all the way back to win the series in seven games.

The Hurricanes are in a desperate situation. They don’t want to fall behind 3-0 in the series and will have the added advantage of playing at home and in front of their crowd. The Penguins know they need to have that killer instinct and match Carolina’s desperation.

“We have to have that desperation too,” Sidney Crosby said. “We were in this position last series down 0-2. We came back home and still felt confident. It’s the same with them. They know they still have an opportunity to respond with their home ice. There is definitely an opportunity for us to put their backs against the walls so we have to match their desperation.”

@
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Playoff comebacks have been commonplace for Carolina, and for the Hurricanes to make the Eastern Conference finals a series again, they'll need their biggest one yet.
Stuck in a two-game hole for the first time this postseason, the Hurricanes are well aware that if they can't get anything going on home ice - starting Saturday night with Game 3 - they'll have no chance of sending their best-of-seven series with the Penguins back to Pittsburgh.
"You can't get too much further back" against the wall, captain Rod Brind'Amour quipped Friday. "We're getting pretty close here, so we're going to have to fight back. We're going to have to put up our best effort and leave it out there. It's definitely not a feeling of, 'We're out of it,' or anything like that. We fought back all year. Whenever we've had to come up with a big game, we have. Obviously, this is that time again."

Let's get ready to 'rumblllllllllllllllllle.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I guess Brind'Amour was wrong. You can get further back. Another crushing defeat handed to them by the Penguins. Malkin and Crosby were great again.

Remember how I said a week or so ago that Malkin has woken up(against Washington)? Truer words were never spoken!;-)

I think they will sweep the series and be well-rested for the winner of Chicago/Detroit(hopefully Chicago).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's amazing that two players, the like of crosby and malkin could actually be on the
same team, and so young, both of them, if they build that team around them over
the years, (and they're doing a pretty good job right now), it will be a powerhouse.
They are both great players, and so different.
I look forward to many years of enjoyment from them, for all to see.
Yes, which ever team comes out of the west will have their hands full, and I'm
looking forward to it.
I'm glad to see malkin doing so well in the playoffs, because even though he won
the scoring title this season, he doesn't get the credit he deserves, maybe after
these playoffs are over, he will.
Detroit and chicago have pretty good defence, so they won't be allowed to zoom
in and around the goal so much, carolina's defence seems to have a few holes in it,
and they actually were left standing still on malkins goals, seemed to be watching
just how he was going to score them, and crosby too.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think part of Malkin's problem is that his style makes it easy for people to call him a "floater", because when he does his thing and the puck isn't going in the net (or he's not able to even generat scoring chances) it doesn't look lke he's doing anything. Its a stigma a lot of "natural scorers" labour under. He's been amazing the last couple games. I'd still pick Sid as the Conn Smythe guy of the two (on that team) at this point for two reasons: consistency and timing. With 6 first goals in a game, he's setting a tone for the Penguins and helping alleviate any pressure put on them.

As for Detroit and Chicago, I'm still thinking the Wings will come out on top but they could be in trouble with the Pens. These guys are a lot younger and that trip to the finals last year taught them how they can struggle to get there and then lose it in the end. Either way, it looks like the finals will feature two offensively talented powerhouses.

Oh and I have to say for the record, though I am cheering for Chicago over Detroit, that hit by Kronwall didn't deserve a 5 min major. Maybe 2 if they want to call it a charge but even that's an iffy call.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think part of Malkin's problem is that his style makes it easy for people to call him a "floater", because when he does his thing and the puck isn't going in the net (or he's not able to even generat scoring chances) it doesn't look lke he's doing anything. Its a stigma a lot of "natural scorers" labour under. He's been amazing the last couple games. I'd still pick Sid as the Conn Smythe guy of the two (on that team) at this point for two reasons: consistency and timing. With 6 first goals in a game, he's setting a tone for the Penguins and helping alleviate any pressure put on them.

As for Detroit and Chicago, I'm still thinking the Wings will come out on top but they could be in trouble with the Pens. These guys are a lot younger and that trip to the finals last year taught them how they can struggle to get there and then lose it in the end. Either way, it looks like the finals will feature two offensively talented powerhouses.

Oh and I have to say for the record, though I am cheering for Chicago over Detroit, that hit by Kronwall didn't deserve a 5 min major. Maybe 2 if they want to call it a charge but even that's an iffy call.

What you say is right about Malkin, and I was thinking that he was going to be
a no-show again this year in the playoffs, but I truly think that he just couldn't
relax in playoffs, thus, seemed stiff uninterested, but now he knows what he
can do, and believes in himself out there, thus the coming out playoffs for
him, and there is no looking back now, hope I don't have to eat my words in
the next round.
Crosby has everything, and his playmaking abilities are second to none. I
would pick him first as well, but I just thought malkin was being snubbed a
little, but then, it's up to him to squelch that as well, and it seems he is doing
that now.
Yes, if the penns/wings play each other, the penns have a lot of miserable
memories from last year, and will be much more determined, and are younger, but after saying
that, if detroit are 'just' better, and osgood keeps on rolling, they will pull
it off again.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

@ Sunday @ 3:00 eastern time

DatePlayerInjury/News5/22/09F Martin HavlatHavlat took a hard hit in the 1st period of Game 3 against Detroit and did not return to the game. Coach Quenneville said Havlat was better after the game and would be evaluated further Saturday. Current status is day-to-day.

5/23 Update: Havlat didn't practice Saturday but Quenneville said he is "optimistic" Havlat will play Sunday in Game 4.
5/22/09G Nikolai KhabibulinKhabibulin suffered a lower body injury in Game 3 against Detroit and was replaced in the 3rd period by Cristobal Huet. He will be evaluated further Saturday. Current status is day-to-day.

5/23 Update: Khabibulin didn't practice Saturday and the team will see how he feels Sunday
Detroit coach Mike Babcock said Kris Draper, hurt for most of the playoffs, would be out again Sunday. And star center Pavel Datsyuk, who missed Game 3 with a sore foot, would probably be a game-time decision again.
Havlat was looking down for the puck near the boards in the first period Friday when Kronwall hit him at full speed, smashing him to the ice in a heap. A dazed Havlat stayed down for several minutes before he was helped off the ice. He didn't return.
"The way I felt things happened, the puck went off the wall and he went to pick it up. I stepped in and he never saw me come. He never touched the puck, but I felt like the puck was right there," Kronwall said Saturday.
Told that some of the Blackhawks, especially Campbell, thought it was a dirty play, Kronwall said, "I think I would have felt the same way if someone did that to one of my teammates. It's unfortunate he got hurt and that's how it is."

The puck was all around havlat's feet just before the hit, it was very hard, but
it's just one of those hits where everything 'gels', the player is in a certain
position, and the hitter hits just at a certain time, going at a certain speed,
and 'crunch', but I didn't see anything dirty about the hit, and I think havlat
was knocked coockoo from hitting his head on the ice when he fell 'back'.
Every team would be upset from that hit, if it was one of their players, even though it wasn't 'high' or 'dirty', and he wasn't charging or boarding, and he
wasn't hit from behind, opposite. Havlat did look up before the incident, but
didn't seem to anticipate 'getting' hit at all, or maybe thought it would be a
'softy' like he does. Hope he gets back in the series soon.
Hope Datszuk plays today.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
And it looks like it will be a repeat of last year's Final. Detroit(even with Datsyuk and Lidstrom not playing) crushed Chicago 6-1.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And it looks like it will be a repeat of last year's Final. Detroit(even with Datsyuk and Lidstrom not playing) crushed Chicago 6-1.

Interesting game, as I'm sure chicago were a little too happy that those particular players were missing from the detroit lineup, and it didn't take
long to become 3-0, then chicago got stupid, their age and experience showed,
chippy, way too many penalties, and the ref could have called more, turned a
blind eye later on.
Hossa finally showed up, he was awsome, and the rest of the team didn't miss
a step, good for them.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think if Chicago ends up down a few goals next game, they are going to be head-hunting.8O

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think if Chicago ends up down a few goals next game, they are going to be head-hunting.8O

I doubt it. I missed yesterday's game (and with a 6-1 score it doesn't look like I missed that much :p) but I haven't seen anything in the previous series with Vancouver or Calgary that lead me to think they would. Sure, no one likes to lose and everyone gets frustrated and that comes out sometimes but head hunting when you're on the way out the door just hurts you more by earning suspensions and fines. These guys and their coaches are professionals and the coaches will be preaching discipline, which is a must to compete against the Detroit juggernaut.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
quenville was whining that the referees lost the game for them, what a crock. Yes
one call questionable, but in a 6-1 loss, I laugh at that reaction.
They lost their composure, acted like children, not head hunting, just stupid after
the whistle stuff, and also other unnecessary penalties as well.
Detroit frustrated them with their discipline, and their composure, just let them
take the penalties, and didn't respond with the same nonsense.
Of course when one goes through any game, depending what side you're on, there
is always questionable calls, or non calls, it's human error and is part of hockey,
one just has to bite their lip, and move on.

No game tonight.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
news on team 1040 this morning. Patrick Roy, and two other coaches from his neck of the woods, (jr. hockey I guess), will be hired by colorado avalanche, he will be general manager
as well as head coach, they will be his assistants. Another fellow will be co-g.m.
with him. Not confirmed yet.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
good news, AHL - Manitoba Moose has won the western conference finals against the
houston aeros, so now they advance to the 'calder cup' finals against the 'hershey
bears'.

Manitoba were the overall top team in the league this season, and now have won
two series.
Cody Hodgson is playing on the team, had one assist tonight, this is great experience for him, and now he will be part of the Calder Cup final.