NHL Playoffs '09

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Detroit definitely got tired at about the half way mark last game. Zetterburg, and
others playing too many minutes, not sure if they can snap out of that, we'll see
tonight, and it will be good to have datsyuk back, but of course he won't be at
top form, but he will make the team better because the lines will be back to a
more normal mode.
The player I am in awe of in this series in Malkin, he has shown he is the best player in the NHL this year, including the playoffs, and even if detroit does
manage to pull it off, he might still get the con smythe trophy, as detroit so far
doesn't have an individiual who has risen to the top in the playoffs, like he has.

GO DETROIT GO

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's SUMMER, for Heaven's sakes!

It is?

Weather Forecast: Elkwater, Alberta - The Weather Network

SNOWFALL WARNING: Cypress Hills Provincial Park - ForemostIssued at 10:44 AM MDT SATURDAY 6 JUNE 2009

AN ADDITIONAL 10 CENTIMETRES OF SNOW EXPECTED BY THIS EVENING OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

A COLD AIRMASS PUSHING SOUTHWARD ACROSS ALBERTA IS CREATING A STRONG FRONTAL ZONE OVER SOUTHERN ALBERTA TODAY. FAIRLY SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED ALONG THE FOOTHILLS AND IN AREAS NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY. PRECIPITATION IS FALLING GENERALLY AS SNOW OR A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW THIS MORNING BUT WILL CHANGE TO RAIN OVER MOST AREAS NEAR MIDDAY AS TEMPERATURES SLOWLY CLIMB. HOWEVER, OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE CROWSNEST AND CYPRESS HILLS REGIONS, AN ADDITIONAL 10 CM OF FRESH SNOW IS FORECAST FOR TODAY GIVING STORM TOTALS IN THE 15 TO 20 CM RANGE. CONDITIONS WILL IMPROVE BY SUNDAY MORNING AS THE MAIN PRECIPITATION AREA MOVES EASTWARD OUT OF THE PROVINCE.

Feels like hockey season to me.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
SERIES MATCHUP

GAME 4: 6/4 FINAL
2 - 4 Series tied 2 - 2 GAME 5: 6/6 8:00 PM

If detroit win tonight, this series will probably go seven games.
I hope both goalies play well, and are not the reason for any outcome.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
OK, I'm happy, love it.
Lets see what happens in Pittsburg next game.
I was a little worried last game, as detroit looked quite tired, but obviously that
dissapeared.
The return of Datsyuk made a huge difference, he played great, glad he's back.

GO DETROIT GO

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
OK, I'm happy, love it.
Lets see what happens in Pittsburg next game.
I was a little worried last game, as detroit looked quite tired, but obviously that
dissapeared.
The return of Datsyuk made a huge difference, he played great, glad he's back.

GO DETROIT GO

Didn't like the game, for a lot of reasons(not just due to Detroit winning;-)).

1. Pittsburgh did not show up.
2. Stupid penalties. Deserved or not, they took too many of them, and against Detroit that is just asking for trouble.
3. Too lopsided of a score. If the game had been closer it would have been still fun to watch, but once it was 4-0 there was no point. No one would climb from that hole against Detroit in the SCF so there was no point in watching the rest of it. All that would happen is to watch things get ugly(which it did).

In all honesty, I don't think that it was Datsyuk's return that was the reason they won. The way they played(and Pittsburgh didn't) they would have won without him easily. I'm not saying he was bad out there at all, but he wasn't the reason they won(as some Detroit fans on some sports forums are saying).

If Pittsburgh plays like they did tonight no chance of Game 7.8O

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I pretty much agree with Shadowshiv. Detroit was the only team that showed up. I don't think the stream of penalties should have been as one-sided as it was (the refs bought some acting jobs on some of them) but that didn't happen until the Pens were already down and the Wings were in control of the game. Datsyuk wasn't the only reason the Wings won but he played a strong game, so you have to give him credit.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Didn't like the game, for a lot of reasons(not just due to Detroit winning;-)).

1. Pittsburgh did not show up.
2. Stupid penalties. Deserved or not, they took too many of them, and against Detroit that is just asking for trouble.
3. Too lopsided of a score. If the game had been closer it would have been still fun to watch, but once it was 4-0 there was no point. No one would climb from that hole against Detroit in the SCF so there was no point in watching the rest of it. All that would happen is to watch things get ugly(which it did).

In all honesty, I don't think that it was Datsyuk's return that was the reason they won. The way they played(and Pittsburgh didn't) they would have won without him easily. I'm not saying he was bad out there at all, but he wasn't the reason they won(as some Detroit fans on some sports forums are saying).

If Pittsburgh plays like they did tonight no chance of Game 7.8O

No, I don't think datsyuk is the reason they won either, but it did make their
lines more balanced, which improves their team, and he was noticeably
good on the ice.
I wanted the score to go even higher, haven't seen a blowout yet, so I was
hoping for more, I liked seeing pittsburg looking humble and pitiful, and
their young guys, the best ones, were getting a little childish at times,
that age thing will come and bite you in the ass, when things don't go
their way, just like chicago.
Pittsburg can snap back, and win the next one, hope not.
Malkin was making a good run at 'winning' the con smythe trophy, but he better
play better in the next game, as he was awful last night, and chippy.

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I'm not fond of any blowouts: they make for boring games :p

And my pick for the Con Smythe would be Osgood for Detroit or Crosby for Pittsburgh. No one else on Detroit has stood out like Osgood and its nice to see him get that recognition. For the Pens, Malkin has turned it up but Crosby isn't far behind and has shown more consistency and overall effort, even when the puck hasn't gone in: Crosby has been a leader, Malkin has been a star.

I just wonder if the Pens can bounce back in game 6...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If the penns win the next two games and malkin continues scoring points like he
has during the playoffs, I would vote for him for con smythe, because it's the star
of the playoffs who wins it.
And, yes, if malkin doesn't pick up his game again this series, and wings win it all,
then I would agree on the osgood pick.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If the penns win the next two games and malkin continues scoring points like he
has during the playoffs, I would vote for him for con smythe, because it's the star
of the playoffs who wins it.
And, yes, if malkin doesn't pick up his game again this series, and wings win it all,
then I would agree on the osgood pick.

What do you mean, Talloola? Detroit is going to win the cup.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Only a traitor this side of ONtario would root for Pittsburgh. :lol::lol:
Wulfie 68-
I won't desert the canadians they 'do' have, and how long does a player have to
be in canada before they are accepted as canadians, and how about americans,
where do they fit in. I don't care about the 'roots', I care about them as hockey
players, as on the ice, and amongst their team i'm sure they don't even think
about nationality.
I don't think about it either until someone mentions it.
'I know you are not serious,' (i think), noticed the smiles, but since don cherry discriminated against
euros and has continued to do it for years, I am ashamed of him as a canadian,
and wish I could say he was from 'lower slobovia', then maybe he would keep
his ignorant mouth shut.
Ooops, just realized I answered the wrong post, oh well, i'm sure you all can figure
it out, I'm with you JLM.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
SERIES MATCHUP

GAME 5: 6/6 FINAL
0 - 5
GAME 6: 6/9 8:00 PM EDT LIVE ON CBC(HD), NBC(HD), RDS(HD)

Don't have a clue what to expect from this game, so I will watch it wondering
at first how it will play out.
Of course one would want to see a close well played game, with whatever team
you're pulling for to come out ahead, but, at this point, I will be happy if
the wings can pull out another 5-0, and get their point across loud and clear.
don't think that will happen.
of course those games aren't thrilling to watch, but I'm past that now, and just
hoping to stick the knife in a little deeper.

GO WINGS GO

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
wierd game, pitts all over det for two periods, then the other way around, osgood
and fleury were the stars.
it looked to me like detroit were just playing an ugly road game, doing nothing
much, just checking and waiting for a chance here and there, till the last period
then they ramped it up.
back to detroit on 'Friday; I think.
at least we know the next game is the last one, we need to move on.
the entry draft is coming up in less than two weeks, then july 1 is when the
unrestricted free agents can be approached, so time is going fast.

Pitts 2 - det. 1

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
At the very least the Pens won't have to watch the Red Wings raise the Cup in their home rink again.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I thought this was the most entertaining game of the series. Osgood was incredible. Was interesting to see the pluggers scoring the goals instead of the big names. If it was another team I'd almost wonder if doubt could be creeping in but the Wings are just too... businesslike? I hoping for the break in the homer win streak but agree its time to be done.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The thing about Game 7s is that there is equal pressure on both teams. It is now a must-win for Detroit and Pittsburgh. Anything can happen in a Game 7, and I hope that it is a good game like Game 6 rather than a lop-sided crap-fest like Game 5.:smile:

I hope it does not go to overtime on Friday as I have to work midnights and I want to watch the entire game.