Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
As we learned in Quebec, no one is safe from extremism

That narrative of civilization under siege has been popularized by nationalist political parties across Europe and by right-wing media in the United States. Now, it has been normalized by Mr. Trump, who warned against "the hateful ideology of radical Islam" during his campaign. His chief adviser, Stephen Bannon, warned in 2014 that "there is a major war brewing, a war that's already global." Among the President's first acts in office was to slap a completely arbitrary ban on visitors, immigrants and refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries, which caused a furious backlash and total chaos.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/op...http://www.theglobeandmail.com&service=mobile

Mentalfloss - do you actually read your own posts? Just wondering because you failed miserably in your accusations of people being "right-wing". You admit that Trump warned against "the hateful ideology of RADICAL ISLAM" not Muslims and he banned individuals from countries who support terrorism. If they happen to be Muslim countries, that's truly unfortunate but it wasn't Muslims he was objecting to - it's the terrorists stupid!!! I guess because Trump is hated so much, more is read into his actions than is deserved. While he is thinned skinned and a egotist, he is not your typical politician and calls things as he sees them and the PC crowd goes crazy!!! One of the few things I like about him LOL Love seeing people go nuts over his tweets.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Mentalfloss - do you actually read your own posts? Just wondering because you failed miserably in your accusations of people being "right-wing". You admit that Trump warned against "the hateful ideology of RADICAL ISLAM" not Muslims and he banned individuals from countries who support terrorism. If they happen to be Muslim countries, that's truly unfortunate but it wasn't Muslims he was objecting to - it's the terrorists stupid!!! I guess because Trump is hated so much, more is read into his actions than is deserved. While he is thinned skinned and a egotist, he is not your typical politician and calls things as he sees them and the PC crowd goes crazy!!! One of the few things I like about him LOL Love seeing people go nuts over his tweets.

Good post Dixie- Actually there's more to like about Trump than to dislike - actually the main things about Trump that I would question is he's a little impetuous & at times can be a little rude, crude and lewd.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Defence lawyers contest consecutive-sentencing in Quebec mosque shooter case
Canadian Press
Published:
October 26, 2019
Updated:
October 26, 2019 7:41 PM EDT
Alexandre Bissonnette.Tumblr
MONTREAL — A group of lawyers opposed to consecutive life sentences has been granted intervener status in an appeal of the sentence handed down to Quebec City mosque killer Alexandre Bissonnette.
The Montreal Defence Lawyers Association is arguing that the Criminal Code contravenes the Charter of Rights and Freedoms by allowing judges to stack life sentences for multiple murders instead imposing them concurrently.
Bissonnette, 29, pleaded guilty last year to six counts of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder after he walked into the mosque at the Islamic Cultural Centre during evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017, and opened fire.
The Crown had requested a sentence of six consecutive 25-year terms with no chance of parole — 150 years in total — but Quebec Superior Court Justice Francois Huot opted for life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for 40 years, saying that a sentence beyond life expectancy would have been “absurd” and a charter violation.
The law, however, would have allowed the judge to impose a 150-year jail sentence, which is what the association is now challenging.
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
The lawyers argue that “a sentence exceeding life expectancy without review mechanism” would be “inconsistent with human dignity” and a violation of Section 12 of the charter, which grants protection from cruel and unusual punishment.
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/de...tive-sentencing-in-quebec-mosque-shooter-case

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
Defence lawyers contest consecutive-sentencing in Quebec mosque shooter case
Canadian Press
Published:
October 26, 2019
Updated:
October 26, 2019 7:41 PM EDT
Alexandre Bissonnette.Tumblr
MONTREAL — A group of lawyers opposed to consecutive life sentences has been granted intervener status in an appeal of the sentence handed down to Quebec City mosque killer Alexandre Bissonnette.
The Montreal Defence Lawyers Association is arguing that the Criminal Code contravenes the Charter of Rights and Freedoms by allowing judges to stack life sentences for multiple murders instead imposing them concurrently.
Bissonnette, 29, pleaded guilty last year to six counts of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder after he walked into the mosque at the Islamic Cultural Centre during evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017, and opened fire.
The Crown had requested a sentence of six consecutive 25-year terms with no chance of parole — 150 years in total — but Quebec Superior Court Justice Francois Huot opted for life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for 40 years, saying that a sentence beyond life expectancy would have been “absurd” and a charter violation.
The law, however, would have allowed the judge to impose a 150-year jail sentence, which is what the association is now challenging.
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
The lawyers argue that “a sentence exceeding life expectancy without review mechanism” would be “inconsistent with human dignity” and a violation of Section 12 of the charter, which grants protection from cruel and unusual punishment.
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/de...tive-sentencing-in-quebec-mosque-shooter-case
I would have given him 60 years with n/p. He would be 87 when he got out. The families of those he killed are at a loss for their entire lives so I think a lifetime in the doghouse would be fair.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, saw that.

Fuk that guy and the judge who said he could apply for parole.
I was horrified and mystified when I heard his sentence had been reduced due to the fact it was "cruel and unusual" punishment. Is the judge too bloody stupid to see that the crime was cruel and usual? Is being an idiot a necessary prerequisite to being a judge?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I was horrified and mystified when I heard his sentence had been reduced due to the fact it was "cruel and unusual" punishment. Is the judge too bloody stupid to see that the crime was cruel and usual? Is being an idiot a necessary prerequisite to being a judge?
I thought what happened to his victims was cruel and unusual.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Just doing what Trudeau tried to slip through an omnibus bill. Dear Leader wanted to reduce the sentences for terror and gang-related activities. Shooting up a mosque would qualify as a terror-related activity would it not?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just doing what Trudeau tried to slip through an omnibus bill. Dear Leader wanted to reduce the sentences for terror and gang-related activities. Shooting up a mosque would qualify as a terror-related activity would it not?
Maybe but two wrongs don't make a right. You have to remember Trudeau is only luke warm when it comes to the I.Q. department! :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just curious about one thing the "word" "fuk" appears in most of your posts. Is that to strengthen your argument or to enhance your credibility? To do either a good plan might be to use it about once a month or so. Used too often it loses impact. :) Just sayin'

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Just curious about one thing the "word" "fuk" appears in most of your posts. Is that to strengthen your argument or to enhance your credibility? To do either a good plan might be to use it about once a month or so. Used too often it loses impact. :) Just sayin'

Fuk for spelling from the old forum - don't know if swearing is allowed now or not, haven't noticed - and because when I get pizzed/frustrated, I swear more.

I know it doesn't strengthen any argument or any of that BS. That's not the point of using it.

Reactions: B00Mer

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Fuk for spelling from the old forum - don't know if swearing is allowed now or not, haven't noticed - and because when I get pizzed/frustrated, I swear more.

I know it doesn't strengthen any argument or any of that BS. That's not the point of using it.
What is? :)