Majority of Conservative voters support defunding the CBC — but not attacks on media

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Yeah, I’m tired & dyslexic both….& I read the date on the link above as 2021 and not 2012…

Weird Question, but I think you stated that you don’t own a TV, right? But if you do (or did, or plan to, etc…), do you think you’d just turn on the TV & the CBC would pop up? I’m not sure if Rabbit Ears do anything or not, but you would “Probably” have to pay someone to watch what we’ve ALL already paid for already with the CBC…

It’s not like it’s free with our tax dollars, or commercial free due to our tax dollars, or a level & fair playing field to other media outlets competing for those same advertisers without the same level of Government subsidy/support/whatever….

Perhaps CBC TV & CBC Radio should become two different things…. with CBC TV becoming unsubsidized, leaving CBC radio advertisement free if it remains subsidized and it would a loan require less than $1 billion a year I’m assuming from government??
We have an antenna in the window that will pick up the 1 1/2 stations we had when I was a kid. I’m only about 40 miles from wher I was born, but it is a 45 minute drive and almost two hours on a ferry away.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Yeah, I’m tired & dyslexic both….& I read the date on the link above as 2021 and not 2012…

Weird Question, but I think you stated that you don’t own a TV, right? But if you do (or did, or plan to, etc…), do you think you’d just turn on the TV & the CBC would pop up? I’m not sure if Rabbit Ears do anything or not, but you would “Probably” have to pay someone to watch what we’ve ALL already paid for already with the CBC…

Yeah, no TV, no plans to ever own, not if what I want to see is on the computer, tbh.

It’s not like it’s free with our tax dollars, or commercial free due to our tax dollars, or a level & fair playing field to other media outlets competing for those same advertisers without the same level of Government subsidy/support/whatever….

Then maybe 'revamp' would be better than 'defund'?

Perhaps CBC TV & CBC Radio should become two different things…. with CBC TV becoming unsubsidized, leaving CBC radio advertisement free if it remains subsidized and it would a loan require less than $1 billion a year I’m assuming from government??

Now that I could agree with because in reality, it should be like that, IMO.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Have to say it….we watch TV (Netflix & YouTube anyway) sporadically weather permitting also. Don’t really watch much of any TV stations except for times like the hurricanes that hit the Maritimes or in Florida in the last week….& then we had it on in the background….& it was the weather channel

In winter we will have movie nights once or twice a week, or we will binge watch a series one or two episodes a night until it’s gone….& then not turn the TV on for a month or two.
1664714051880.jpegIn summer when it’s really nice and hot out, we will have Netflix movie nights out on our deck…. and that’s really about it as far as TV goes. We have CBC, and CBC news channel in our cable package because you don’t have any choice if you have any kind of cable package…. and I haven’t watched either of them in years, though we pay for both already through our tax dollars.
1664713966080.jpegWe have a large TV mounted to the wall in the living room for those winter movie nights, and I have a smaller 50” Monitor on my computer that I turn on every second month (?) when I play on the computer….& A similar size TV that only plays music in my girlfriends nail salon….
1664714568601.jpeg…..and the TV in my garage that makes its way out onto the deck in the summer that she’s gonna want mounted on the wall in the bedroom so that we won’t watch it there either.
1664714213842.jpegThe rest of the time we simply use our iPhones.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Okay, so a majority of every issue about the CBC seems to be the news.

The news isn't all they do.

How about instead of 'defunding' the CBC, demand more from the news, OR suggest that the News no longer be a part of the programming criteria, and instead the CBC focus on content for it's media platforms. Because on the local/national level, programs like As it Happens, Quirks and Quarks, and locally CBC Maritimes and Maritime Morning are GREAT programs (I'm sure there are equivalents in other provinces/areas/regions).

And BTW, if CBC is SUCH an anti-everything but Liberal corporation, why didn't previous CONSERVATIVE Governments get rid of it/defund it? Why do the Cons keep going on CBC programs?

Maybe it's because it's NOT as "All Liberal" as so many keep spewing out...?
Because in the past Conservatives were still "hoping" that the CBC would "love" them. They couldn't (and likely still can't) get it through their heads that no amount of appearing on CBC will change their attitude towards the Conservatives. They're now paid for by the Liberals and the Conservatives have policies that go against everything the Left & Liberals believe in. The Liberals never used to be like that as I voted for them in the past but no longer. They don't represent Canadians' best interests any longer, only their own.

Conservatives need to get a "spine" and start following policies that benefit ALL Canadians & stop trying to appease everyone. Conservative policies are generally good for the nation and benefits the majority of Canadians. Hopefully, PP will be the person to lead the Conservatives successfully but who knows. Until things start happening, we actually won't know because most politicians lie! Maybe under PP, hopefully the Conservatives will win the next election and if he follows through on his promises, he'll be in charge for a long time - that is IF he follows through on his policies & Canadians benefit.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Because in the past Conservatives were still "hoping" that the CBC would "love" them.

I don't know about love, but again, during the leadership race of the Cons, I heard quite about about Con views, including supporters of PP, so...

Maybe it's just your region that is "liberal heavy" when it comes to the CBC.

They couldn't (and likely still can't) get it through their heads that no amount of appearing on CBC will change their attitude towards the Conservatives.

Um, they don't HAVE to change their attitude to Cons. It's not their job to change THEIR attitude, rather it's the job to make Con views heard and for PEOPLE to change their views.

They're now paid for by the Liberals

And before that, the Cons (as they were Government...)

and the Conservatives have policies that go against everything the Left & Liberals believe in.

Yep, in favour of being authoritarian, anti-freedom to outright far right fascist.

The Liberals never used to be like that as I voted for them in the past but no longer.

That's true, it's why I don't vote for them either.

They don't represent Canadians' best interests any longer, only their own.

Same can be said for every single party. So guess we're all SOL when it comes to ANY government.

Conservatives need to get a "spine" and start following policies that benefit ALL Canadians & stop trying to appease everyone.

... um... :unsure: that made... no sense. Fact, you've contradicted yourself.

Conservative policies are generally good for the nation and benefits the majority of Canadians.

If that were so, they'd be in power now. But it's not, so...

It rather appeases the right, which is not the majority. They might have economically right (and good) policies, but their social beliefs SUCK and that's why they lost.

Hopefully, PP will be the person to lead the Conservatives successfully but who knows.

Unless he swings more middle ground, I doubt it.

Until things start happening, we actually won't know because most politicians lie!

Including PP.

Maybe under PP, hopefully the Conservatives will win the next election and if he follows through on his promises, he'll be in charge for a long time - that is IF he follows through on his policies & Canadians benefit.

Which Canadians, the right, or "The majority"?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I don't know about love, but again, during the leadership race of the Cons, I heard quite about about Con views, including supporters of PP, so...

Maybe it's just your region that is "liberal heavy" when it comes to the CBC.

Um, they don't HAVE to change their attitude to Cons. It's not their job to change THEIR attitude, rather it's the job to make Con views heard and for PEOPLE to change their views.

And before that, the Cons (as they were Government...)

Yep, in favour of being authoritarian, anti-freedom to outright far right fascist.

That's true, it's why I don't vote for them either.

Same can be said for every single party. So guess we're all SOL when it comes to ANY government.

... um... :unsure: that made... no sense. Fact, you've contradicted yourself.

If that were so, they'd be in power now. But it's not, so...

It rather appeases the right, which is not the majority. They might have economically right (and good) policies, but their social beliefs SUCK and that's why they lost.

Unless he swings more middle ground, I doubt it.

Including PP.

Which Canadians, the right, or "The majority"?
You need to think before you type. In the last two elections the Conservatives won the majority vote. It is only because of the lopsided way ridings
are set up that the Liberals won. So , in effect the Conservatives represent the majority of Canadians.
it is the extreme left that is anti rights and even brags about having government control everthing possible.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
You need to think before you type. In the last two elections the Conservatives won the majority vote.

Current system doesn't mean majority vote wins. No, I don't like it, I'd prefer voter reform, but that's how it is. Does not negate the point that if the Cons were 'good for Canadians' they'd be in power. It IS possible for them to gain power even with the current system, but their social ideas are NOT what majority of Canadians want.

It is only because of the lopsided way ridings

Then why don't THEY fix voting - oh right, they won't.

are set up that the Liberals won.

And those same lopsided ridings can have Cons win. So....

So , in effect the Conservatives represent the majority of Canadians.

Not socially, no.

it is the extreme left that is anti rights and even brags about having government control everthing possible.

And the extreme right that wants to deny rights to people who are anyone BUT who they approve of (Usually Christians, White, Straight/Heterosexual, Male, etc.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Current system doesn't mean majority vote wins. No, I don't like it, I'd prefer voter reform, but that's how it is. Does not negate the point that if the Cons were 'good for Canadians' they'd be in power. It IS possible for them to gain power even with the current system, but their social ideas are NOT what majority of Canadians want.
Given more Canadians actually voted for them than any other single party doesn't that void your statement?

And the ideas that the Canadians don't want are the ones spouted by the Liberals as the ones the Conservatives want not necessarily the ones the Conservatives want. And yes, the Conservatives have been ineffective the last 2 elections of deflecting that crap.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Given more Canadians actually voted for them than any other single party doesn't that void your statement?

That they have the majority, sure.

But my point is if they were what Canada wanted, they'd be in power, because they've been able to be in power before under the current system. And I'll admit that when they were in power, the Libs were also doing the "voter reform needs to happen" song and dance. That's how Trudeau got elected the first time.

And it didn't happen.

And the ideas that the Canadians don't want are the ones spouted by the Liberals as the ones the Conservatives want not necessarily the ones the Conservatives want.

I am... not sure what you're saying here, you lost me.

And yes, the Conservatives have been ineffective the last 2 elections of deflecting that crap.

Sure?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

“Considering dropping journalistic objectivity??” Considering?

CBC is reportedly considering dropping an age-old requirement for its reporters to be objective — at least for those from a visible minority group?

The revelation was shared this week in an editorial by the Quebec newspaper La Presse. Senior editor François Cardinal wrote that CBC was considering an internal demand by its reporters that the broadcaster abandon its current standards requiring reporters and staff to remain neutral on political issues??? Really? CBC?

View attachment 15886

Under CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices, the network’s reporters are forbidden from expressing personal opinions or partisan leanings? Seriously?

“Our value of impartiality precludes our news and current affairs staff from expressing their personal opinions on matters of controversy on all our platforms,” it reads? Yes, CBC…
Okay, so a majority of every issue about the CBC seems to be the news.

The news isn't all they do.
Isn’t that the truth….this is from Mid-February of this year:

The incredible powers that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has given his government to freeze people’s bank accounts is based on their reliance on “analysis” from the CBC.
How about instead of 'defunding' the CBC, demand more from the news, OR suggest that the News no longer be a part of the programming criteria….
Yeah, I think you’re onto something there, & if they remain on the annual gov’t dole, perhaps they shouldn’t be competing for advertising dollars with other media outlets that don’t receive a Billion taxpayer dollars each year. Not exactly a level playing field.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Is now a good time to talk about one of the most destructive forces in the Canadian media? I’m not talking Google or Facebook – though they are challenges to be dealt with – I’m talking about the predatory state-owned operation known as CBC.

On Monday, we were all witness to the bizarre spectacle of one of the owners of the Toronto Star taking the other to court over the direction of the company. One wants cuts to the Star newsroom, one does not.

As much as Star readers and Star reporters would be loath to admit it, CBC is a major problem for them and every other privately owned media outlet in this country. They undercut us all on price, they give away content for free that the rest of us need to find a way to pay for and they use their subsidies to go well outside their mandate while failing to fulfil the duties handed down by Parliament.

Around the world, media outlets are struggling to adjust to the changing landscape, but CBC offers unique challenges to Canadian media companies that our counterparts in the United States or Britain don’t face. BBC may have a massive footprint in Britain, much like CBC does here, but they aren’t allowed to compete domestically for online ads with their private sector counterparts.

The rest at the above Link.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, the majority of Conservative voters better not come here! Hereabouts, the majority of conservatives not only "supports" (with foam-flecked lips) defunding the CBC, they hold it's a propaganda organization on the level of Pravda or Deutscher Beobachter, and the only Real Troof comes from this here website I found. . .

Reactions: Serryah

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s two different news stories on the same reaction to the same situation, but one of these Media Outlets receives 1.6 Billion in taxpayer funding annually and the other one doesn’t:

Vs

This week saw a turnaround in the Trudeau government's approach to Iran as an unprecedented revolt against clerical rule that began three weeks ago showed no sign of slowing down.

The change began in Dartmouth, N.S., on Tuesday, where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government would be taking stronger actions against members of the Iranian regime, "including ensuring that we go after them for any assets or homes that they have in Canada."

Then on Friday, the government announced an entry ban on thousands of ranking members of the IRGC, although it fell short of the full terrorist listing activists were seeking.

"In the last few days, I think [the federal Liberals] realized the facts on the ground have changed, and also I think they've seen reactions from Iranian Canadians," said Kaveh Shahrooz, a lawyer who organized the march in Toronto. "The process of working with government is you keep pushing and eventually they give in to your demands."

Shahrooz told CBC he's aware the change of direction may have been motivated by Poilievre's inroads with Iranian voters.

Vs

The Trudeau government is sucking and blowing at the same time by publicly calling Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps — the thugs now terrorizing the brave women of Iran — a terrorist organization, while refusing to declare this under Canada’s Anti-Terrorism Act.

While Trudeau and Freeland announced further sanctions against Iran on Friday, the PM’s continued refusal to list the IRGC as a terrorist organization is utterly bizarre.

Trudeau’s stand is hypocritical given that for the past week he has accused Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre of misogyny because of a hidden tag in his YouTube videos referencing an anti-woman organization, that Poilievre said he removed as soon as he became aware of it in a report by Global News.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's full-throated embrace of Iran's uprising has won him praise in the Iranian community. Poilievre personally attended and spoke at both Tuesday's Ottawa rally and at a weekend march in Richmond Hill, Ont., attended by an estimated 50,000 people.

Trudeau, on the other hand, was criticized on Iranian social media for not appearing at any events related to Iran while finding time to go bungee-jumping in the Gatineau hills.