Majority of Conservative voters support defunding the CBC — but not attacks on media

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think it would have to be clear to anyone at this point that the CBC news is NOT news, it's propaganda. And we're being forced to pay for it. Don't you love shelling out $1.7 billion/yr so our public broadcaster can lie to us and/or just play stupid fucking semantic games with us?
Kill the TV but keep RadioOne and Two but go edgy on the talk segments with actu opposing views to engage Canadians in actual dialogue rather than a bunch of shitheads who talk like theyre at a funeral.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think it would have to be clear to anyone at this point that the CBC news is NOT news, it's propaganda. And we're being forced to pay for it. Don't you love shelling out $1.7 billion/yr so our public broadcaster can lie to us and/or just play stupid fucking semantic games with us?
It's a problem with state broadcasters or "information agencies." As I've said, CBC had its day, when getting meeja out to all of Canada was necessary and important. No longer needed, it still won't die, because, and here's the inflexible, unavoidable truth. . . whenever you create a government program, regardless of how stupid, unnecessary, and ill-run, it instantly gets a constituency that will fight to the death (of boredom) because that's where the constituency makes its money.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It's a problem with state broadcasters or "information agencies." As I've said, CBC had its day, when getting meeja out to all of Canada was necessary and important. No longer needed, it still won't die, because, and here's the inflexible, unavoidable truth. . . whenever you create a government program, regardless of how stupid, unnecessary, and ill-run, it instantly gets a constituency that will fight to the death (of boredom) because that's where the constituency makes its money.

There's also a huge difference between the CBC News network, and CBC's other interests. On TV you've got a lot of programs that are popular and people love (Schitt's Creek, for example. Corner Gas; etc). Then on the radio is the national and local programming (Information Morning, As It Happens, Ideas, Quirks and Qwarks, etc). So for all those screaming "Defund the CBC", that'd mean these programs get axed. That's a LOT of jobs lost, a LOT of information, documentaries and so on, lost, and I think a lot of people don't want to lose that. Sure it's programs "We" pay for because it is Government, but it's also damned good programming, regardless of medium.

But then my parents were CBC people when I was a kid; any trip in the car, or half the time the radio was on at home, it was on CBC. And despite hating it as a kid, now and then I'll listen on my car radio if something gets my interest, and I DO listen to the intro to As It Happens for the horribly bad/good puns it uses when giving highlights about the show, just before work.

So guess I am a bit biased.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There's also a huge difference between the CBC News network, and CBC's other interests. On TV you've got a lot of programs that are popular and people love (Schitt's Creek, for example. Corner Gas; etc). Then on the radio is the national and local programming (Information Morning, As It Happens, Ideas, Quirks and Qwarks, etc). So for all those screaming "Defund the CBC", that'd mean these programs get axed. That's a LOT of jobs lost, a LOT of information, documentaries and so on, lost, and I think a lot of people don't want to lose that. Sure it's programs "We" pay for because it is Government, but it's also damned good programming, regardless of medium.

But then my parents were CBC people when I was a kid; any trip in the car, or half the time the radio was on at home, it was on CBC. And despite hating it as a kid, now and then I'll listen on my car radio if something gets my interest, and I DO listen to the intro to As It Happens for the horribly bad/good puns it uses when giving highlights about the show, just before work.

Used to have a girlfriend who lived out in coal-mine country in southwest Virginia. When I'd visit her, I'd often drive back at night. No decent FM radio out there, but at night I could get CBC on skip from Windsor. Always interesting, best part of the drive.

Reactions: Serryah

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Schitts Creek is long gone as is Kim of Kensington but Corner Gas was CTV.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Used to have a girlfriend who lived out in coal-mine country in southwest Virginia. When I'd visit her, I'd often drive back at night. No decent FM radio out there, but at night I could get CBC on skip from Windsor. Always interesting, best part of the drive.

Sad day for a lot of us locals, really. Soon as you saw those towers, you knew you were 'home'.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
You are correct. Whenever governments create a program, it's almost impossible to close it down, especially if there's something in it for some people. Name one program that has been shut down where funds are dispensed to Canadians. If they were, Canadians would scream like hell, not realizing that they're asking gov't for support that the government itself is responsible for implementing which is why the program was created to begin with. It's a vicious circle.

Take funds from taxpayers, say that "some, or most" will go back to them which makes the program supposedly less harmful. Seriously people THINK! Why take the money to begin with if you're returning it - like Trudeau says that people will get back more than they've paid for Carbon tax. WTF? So what's the point in taking it to begin with if your simply giving it back? Of course, it's a lie, like all their lies. Canadians apparently don't give a crap b'cuz we're seeing our country go downhill & protesting Israel on behalf of terrorists is an example of just how far we've fallen.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

The majority of CBC radio programming we get in BC is pure garbage. much is from Toronto, so totally irrelevant. What is produced here mostly has a strong left wing bias.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The majority of CBC radio programming we get in BC is pure garbage. much is from Toronto, so totally irrelevant. What is produced here mostly has a strong left wing bias.

As opposed that they should do an extreme right wing bias?

Man, can get why you're so Anti-CBC though. Programming here is pretty varied, has both left and right wing 'biases' and overall, it's pretty good.

Least it's something I suppose.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As opposed that they should do an extreme right wing bias?

Man, can get why you're so Anti-CBC though. Programming here is pretty varied, has both left and right wing 'biases' and overall, it's pretty good.

Least it's something I suppose.
If it's not Tucker Carlson or Rush Limbaugh, it's SOSHULIST!

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah