Majority of Conservative voters support defunding the CBC — but not attacks on media

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
OH you mean that race where it got really bitter and they got to comment on how mean what PP said was or how they felt about CHarest (whom they wanted to win?) - SUUUURRREEE, LOTS of coverage there :)

Well they didn't actually. As usual there were a number of stories which could have been embarrasing to the liberals that went unreported. That's a pretty old trick of theirs -

My belief that reporting paid for by the public should be fair, equal, balanced and comprehensive? Actually - that's the problem in a nutshell.
Equal balanced and comprehensive . Which Canadians have time to weigh far and comprehensive coverage when all they have to know is orange man bad .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Funny, listening to CBC sometimes during the Conservative Leadership race, they had LOTS of Cons on.

And did okay reporting the news.

Are you sure you don't like CBC for being, I don't know, not kowtowing to your side of beliefs enough?
Or maybe it's because the CBC outright lies and makes shit up while playing right along with the politics of division.

Can't wait for the CBC to "report" that Russians and extremist Americans are funding the protests in Iran.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or maybe it's because the CBC outright lies and makes shit up while playing right along with the politics of division.

Can't wait for the CBC to "report" that Russians and extremist Americans are funding the protests in Iran.
The "Soup" took over CBC ages ago.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
And that's where the problem lies. IF they want to be a complete left wing bag of crap, and paying customers are willing to pay money and fund that left wing bag of crap, then that's fine. But to be bigoted and one sided on the public dime.. that's not ok.

"defund" is not the same as "Cancel". IF they can make a go of it with direct support from the lefties who favour their crap then have at it. They'll get that chance. But suddenly they'll have to actually appeal to enough audience that they make the money necessary to carry on. And i suspect that won't be possible being a left wing bag of crap. Left wingers don't like paying for their own content.

Chances are cbc radio might survive and they might keep a news show going or the like, but that's about it. And it wouldn't surprise me to see their television wing die altogether. Which gives you some idea how much actual support they have.
CBC radio can be the first thing to go. No relevant since the invention of satellite radio. Their radio news is mostly irrelevant or bullshit. Often both at the same time.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Funny, listening to CBC sometimes during the Conservative Leadership race, they had LOTS of Cons on.

Are you sure you don't like CBC for being, I don't know, not kowtowing to your side of beliefs enough?
No, it is because they lie and invent news so often. Also they have far too much overpaid management. The latter is the most frustrating.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
No, it is because they lie and invent news so often. Also they have far too much overpaid management. The latter is the most frustrating.
Yeah they really did show their colours during the trucker incident, where they manufactured a claim that all the money was coming from russia or america. Barely ever admitted they were entirely wrong either.

But honestly one of my biggest problems is what they DON'T say. PP does something wrong it's their front page for as long as the cycle will last but if Trudeau does something bad most of the time it either gets no mention at all or a few comments here and there and then it's swept under the rug.

You would be amazed how effectively you can distort the truth just by withholding it.

All of which would be their choice... except we're paying for it.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

While there may be exceptions, the reality is that MOST of their reporting is simply B.S. And, it's not only the CBC, it's the rest of the hooligans as well - CTV, GLOBAL ...

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Global is going broke...
Yes, I read that they were asking the government for more money! I emailed them & told them that if they actually did their jobs, they might find an increase in their audiences but that government propaganda & personal "opinions" are not facts nor are they news. Interestingly enough, I haven't received a response. ;)

• Love
Reactions: petros

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
While there may be exceptions, the reality is that MOST of their reporting is simply B.S. And, it's not only the CBC, it's the rest of the hooligans as well - CTV, GLOBAL ...

Ah, so it's everything out there then.

But what, Dix? Just who is the 'better' at reporting news, in your opinion, than CTV, Global, CBC, etc?

Maybe where you live they only put out Liberal stuff, but I've heard a lot of Conservative, NDP and even locally Green more than Liberal, so...

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ah, so it's everything out there then.

But what, Dix? Just who is the 'better' at reporting news, in your opinion, than CTV, Global, CBC, etc?

Maybe where you live they only put out Liberal stuff, but I've heard a lot of Conservative, NDP and even locally Green more than Liberal, so...
I live in a "liberal" city whose elected "servants" (which I use loosely) adore Trudeau since our Mayor used to be a Liberal MP. He's as clueless now as he was then. That's not to say that isn't an advantage at times - we're FINALLY getting an overpass on 50th street so if he arranged this, excellent. I'll give him koodo's for that. But most of the B.S. coming from City Council have absolutely nothing to do with services, infrastructure etc. for the city - it's all "woke" B.S. which to me should have no place in politics nor in our faces. What you want to do in your own life is up to you - I resent it being forced or to have to "comply" with B.S. that has no basis in science or biology. That's it.

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yes, I read that they were asking the government for more money! I emailed them & told them that if they actually did their jobs, they might find an increase in their audiences but that government propaganda & personal "opinions" are not facts nor are they news. Interestingly enough, I haven't received a response. ;)
Well the problem is the entire media model they use is out of date and not sustainable.

And we've seen this weird evolution as they all try to adapt - they went from old school reporting where people dug in and got facts about a story and reported it and tried to present real 'news', to people simply talking about the stories and editorializing and asking each other for their opinions on the story, to pretty much creating stories in an effort to be 'info-tainment' instead of news.

And the model doesn't work. People who really care bout the news go elsewhere and won't pay for that crap and people who really care about entertainment and drama watch game of thrones.

Meanwhile daily wire does their stuff online with a fraction of the budget but better research and is kicking ass and there's a number of others like pod save america and such that also are enjoying that kind of success.

the model doesn't work and they don't know how to fix it.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I live in a "liberal" city whose elected "servants" (which I use loosely) adore Trudeau since our Mayor used to be a Liberal MP. He's as clueless now as he was then. That's not to say that isn't an advantage at times - we're FINALLY getting an overpass on 50th street so if he arranged this, excellent. I'll give him koodo's for that. But most of the B.S. coming from City Council have absolutely nothing to do with services, infrastructure etc. for the city - it's all "woke" B.S. which to me should have no place in politics nor in our faces. What you want to do in your own life is up to you - I resent it being forced or to have to "comply" with B.S. that has no basis in science or biology. That's it.

Way to NOT answer the question, Dix.

But I shouldn't have expected an honest answer, should I?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
More like demanded more handouts.
My solution to CBC is to make it a private company and sell all the shares to the employees and their unions and leave them alone.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
My solution to CBC is to make it a private company and sell all the shares to the employees and their unions and leave them alone.
Well that in essence is what 'defunding' means. They will still be able to do business as much as they'd like, but now all their revenues will have to come from sales just like everyone else. SO if they're not selling content people and advertizers are willing to pay for then they go under.

And that will actually solve some of the problems the other media outlets have been having. CBC frequently undercuts their ad prices because they can, they aren't reliant on ad revenues only. With the cbc scaling back and having to charge as much as they can for ad revenues, the others will likely be far more competitive.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

The thing is, CBC was meant to be an outside, Government supported media entity that promoted more Canadian content than other stations/forms of media. If the CBC is turned into just another CTV, that won't stop it from being 'biased', or do none of you realize that?

It WILL mean that less Canadian programming gets seen in Canada so we might as well just watch Global or CTV if that's the case.

News aside - and it's bias - getting rid of the CBC is NOT a good idea. Local programs are informative and there's a lot of education in their programming. How about find another way to stop the news bias and leave the rest of it alone?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
The thing is, CBC was meant to be an outside, Government supported media entity that promoted more Canadian content than other stations/forms of media. If the CBC is turned into just another CTV, that won't stop it from being 'biased', or do none of you realize that?

It WILL mean that less Canadian programming gets seen in Canada so we might as well just watch Global or CTV if that's the case.

News aside - and it's bias - getting rid of the CBC is NOT a good idea. Local programs are informative and there's a lot of education in their programming. How about find another way to stop the news bias and leave the rest of it alone?
There really is no way. And the CBC exercises severe control over who gets the 'privlidge' of making canadian content. Their friends and like minded people get the chance, others don't.

Much better to get rid of them entirely and find another way to fund Canadian content makers.