Let’s tear down 24 Sussex — and replace it with something we can be proud of

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Let’s tear down 24 Sussex — and replace it with something we can be proud of​

View attachment 11779

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/01/20/opinion/lets-tear-down-24-sussex-and-replace-it
This is 150 year old “Heritage” money pit, and I don’t think the current Prime Minister even spent the night there in the last six years though I could be wrong. He and his family reside at the Prime Ministers Cottage Where he ran parliament from single-handedly including all of his breathy moist daily Covid updates for months when he had parliament shut down.

Personally, I think the place should be ripped down and removed, and then replaced with a 48 suite low-rental complex on the same property footprint, and that it’s mandatory for the PM & family to reside in one of the suites while in office. It would put the elite in touch with actual real people fighting day today just to get through boredom and monotony while trying to feed their families.

With 400,000 new immigrants to Canada every year, this would utilize the land in a manner much more fitting to the current political concepts and would be a sign of putting the money where their mouth is, from sooo many different directions.

Ripping the place down and replacing it with something like this could probably be done for somewhat comparable dollar figure than tried to rehab this 150 year old monstrosity. Having whatever PM happens to be in power at any given time reside there also would be a great thing for realizing that Canadians aren’t just an abstract population to the elite.

In 15 years when it turns into its own little mini ghetto, and they need to revamp it, at least they’ll be starting with something with modern wiring and installation and doors and windows and meth and coke & crack and graffiti as opposed to the current building that nobody resides in.

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
I wonder how much 24 Sussex has cost us over the past 25 years for repairs and renovations.
I agree that it should be torn down and with the 36 million they are now saying it needs, there could be an amazing structure built.
Heritage be dammed, it is time to be sensible.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder how much 24 Sussex has cost us over the past 25 years for repairs and renovations.
I agree that it should be torn down and with the 36 million they are now saying it needs, there could be an amazing structure built.
Heritage be dammed, it is time to be sensible.
Needing $36,000,000.00 in Reno’s? What’s the place actually worth? I tried to find that answer & the closest I could get was $7,200,000.00 so…?

1642957217474.jpeg
1642957244811.jpeg
The Last PM to actually reside there was Steven Harper in 2015….so it’s a vacant property (thank God it’s not in Vancouver or it would be punitively taxed for being empty, & that wouldn’t come out’a Justin’s trust fund I’m assuming).

If it’s worth $7.2 million needing $36 million in renos…if Reno’d, what would it be worth using the neighbouring properties for comparison? Maybe slightly more than $7.2 million?

By building a minimum 48 suite low rental complex on these 4 Acres, if would help by lowering the property values in that neighborhood achieving another goal of somehow lowering property values while still pumping in immigrants faster that housing can be built to house them.

Attachments

• 1642957498909.jpeg
    1642957498909.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 2

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maureen McTeer wrote about what a shambles the place was 40 years ago can you imagine what a dump it is now?
But one should remember that was a woman's opinion! They can be a little overly concerned about stuff like decor. I see it in our own home every day. :)

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That’s because Harper was voted in as the PM of Canada and 24 Sussex Drive is the Official Residence for the Prime Minister of Canada. He wasn’t an entitled trust fund prick I guess.

It wasn’t good enough for Justin Trudeau though, so when he shut down parliament to hide from various committees on WE & the Winnipeg BioLab Fiasco, we got these pretend daily Covid updates delivered moistly & breathily from the driveway of the PM cottage from the PM Circus Tent.

1642985382951.jpeg

1642988262275.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
According to a new Angus Reid Institute poll, a majority of Canadians would like to see the country’s official prime ministerial residence turned into rubble. The mansion is currently uninhabitable due to decades of chronic neglect, and hasn’t featured a full-time human occupant since Stephen Harper moved out in 2015.

If Canadians are hesitant to fix up the prime minister’s house, it might be a matter of price. According to the National Capital Commission, any renovation of the 12,000-square-foot home would require at least $36.6 million.

Heritage renovations aren’t cheap, but it’s safe to say that it’s a figure well beyond anything that would be considered for any equivalent 34-room mansion.

At the above link is a cursory look at what $36.6 million buys you in the current Canadian real estate market.