Is Fukushima About to Blow?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
How many of you really know much about Nuclear Energy and Radioactive sources? My son works in that field and has done so for almost 40 years. The power of the radiation present in these Nuclear powered Power plants have half life's of less than two years. We live in a world where the Radioactive sources in use in the Nuclear Medicine Departments of our Oncology Hospitals is far more dangerous than this situation. Many of you reside within two miles of some very intense and strong Radioactive sources and never give it a thought. Why do we worry about a plant that is over 8,000 miles distant emitting weak sources?

I don't think you understand the difference between a small but intense source, vs a large but lower-intensity source.

Are you trying to say that the overall amount of radioactive material present in a typical hospital is larger than a 4 or 6 unit power plant?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nobody should give this story a second thought while Arnold Swhartzinpecker is about to climb back into the saddle. We,ve all seen what he can do when he has the right weapons. We've seen him overcome every imaginable threat. I have no doubt he is completely immune to radiation. If it wasn't for his horrible X this radiation thing wouldn't have even happened.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm pretty sure it's all Obama's fault, just ask a certain poster on here....
I though the US had the inside scoop on all events going on in the world, .... except for the ones they missed that is. Like 3 meltdowns in this case.

If the power company is 'coming clean' then the US missed the true events as they were quite accepting of anything promoted for the last two months. (other than the area that should be evacuated if you were an American citizen) Has the sale of one-way tickets climbed at all in the last two months?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There was two months before people started dieing because of Chernobyl. 1.6M according to some USSR data.

Please... don't make me laugh. Anyone who died for any reason was counted in those foolish numbers because people simply weren't dying of radiation poisoning like the No Nuke people wanted them to.

Does that mean you discount the pilots and the miners as being dead?

1.6 Million pilots and miners died?

Don't be silly.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I found out something interesting today; worldwide shipments of the elastomer 'Aflas' have been halted, due to the Tsunami in Japan. Aflas is a specialty elastomer used to make o rings for certain chemical services, it's fairly common in industrial applications.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Looks like TEPCO needs some moolah......

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
TOKYO (Dow Jones)--The government of Prime Minister Naoto Kan on Friday signaled its intention to enact a rescue plan for embattled Tokyo Electric Power Co. within the current parliamentary session amid growing concern about the utility's funding situation.
"There is still time left for discussion in the current parliamentary session," Economy, Trade and Industry Minister Banri Kaieda said in a late news conference. "Let us have an in-depth discussion on this issue." The current parliamentary session is set to finish on June 22.
An early passage of the legislation is seen crucial to keep Tepco alive. The company is facing debt redemptions of Y750 billion by next March, as well as massive compensation claims from victims of a nuclear plant disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi complex.
The rescue plan is designed to shift the burden of compensation temporarily to other utilities and taxpayers, allowing Tepco to pay off all the liabilities over a period of time.
But some ruling party lawmakers are opposed to the proposal.
The rescue plan is expected to take several months to implement even after being approved by the parliament. Analysts at Moody's Investors Service have said that the failure to get the bill through the parliament within the current session could result in a serious funding problem at Tepco early next year.
To win public support for the taxpayers-funded rescue, Tepco on Friday unveiled a Y600 billion cost-cutting plan, while reporting a record amount of annual loss for any Japanese non-financial company, totalling Y1.247 trillion for the 12 months ended March, compared with a net profit of Y133.78 billion in the previous year.
"We would like to see Tepco doing as much cost-cutting as possible," Kaieda said, commenting on the restructuring plan. Tepco's president-elect, Toshio Nishizawa, said the company has already done all it can to reduce costs, including a suspension of executive remunerations and a sale of most of the non-essential assets.
Kaieda also said that he is looking for Nishizawa to stabilize the stricken plant "as early as possible."
-By Mitsuru Obe, Dow Jones Newswires, +81-3-6269-2770; mitsuru.obe@dowjones.com

TEPCO Director Weeps After Disclosing Truth About Fukushima Disaster

Is suicide still an honourable way of freeing yourself of guilt in Nippon?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
1.6 Million pilots and miners died?

Don't be silly.
Go back to post #315 and follow the direction, after you have watched it for a short time you will know what pilots and which miners and how many died. Your part about span (post #316)was your confession about your purpose on the thread apparently.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
20 terabecquerels of radioactive materials flowed out to Pacific

Tags:
Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Saturday that 250 tons of water tainted with about 20 terabecquerels of radioactive substances leaked into the Pacific Ocean from a pit near the seawater intake for the No. 3 reactor at the troubled Fukushima No. 1 plant earlier this month.
While the figure is far lower than the 4,700 terabecquerels released near the No. 2 reactor in April, it is still about 100 times the permissible level, according to Tepco.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
The very title of this thread indicates beyond any doubt that this thread is OBSOLETE and should be closed for any more comments.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
MHz, you are missing your Grade III lesson. "OBSOLETE" is an adjective, NOT a verb.

I blame your teachers for not teaching you and your parents for giving you birth.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
MHz, you are missing your Grade III lesson. "OBSOLETE" is an adjective, NOT a verb.

I blame your teachers for not teaching you and your parents for giving you birth.
If you keep coming back you will never reach your objective, an obsolete thread .

It blowed up good. Real good.
I agree antine you house shows up as a blip on the airport radar you can use any form of that word and be perfectly correct. In Japan's case it is also 'blowing down into the ground'