Iran under Sanction Pressures – Reaction?

Oil Sanction

• Total voters

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
lol "extended conflict" "sink every ship in the gulf" some funny stuff. We are talking about the same Iran that fought a stalemate with Iraq for ten years right? The fourth largest army in the world Iraq, the Iraq that had people all worried about getting involved in desert storm. How'd that turn out? This would be much the same. It's one thing to launch a missile, a whole nother thing to hit a target with it.

Iran would have only two hopes if it did come to war....1) getting their nukes ready in time and/or 2) Obama. :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The only economy that will benefit is that of the controllers. The American economy is just a rallying cry with as much validity as Iranian nukes.

Yup, Blame the Black guy. Bush bankrupted his own companies and yet he was an economic genius as a president. Funny stuff.

I have to second LG's "huh?"

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Oh yeah... like the 2.5 wars we've been in lately have really boosted our economy.

The only ones who are aching for a war with Iran in this forum are the EAO types. They dream about it.
Bite me.

I've never promoted war. I'm pointing out that Iran has claws which could scratch the US and its allies, not promoting war or hoping for the US to loose a fight with Iran. I'm just speculating about the possibilities.

I don't think war is necessary or inevitable. But if the US and their allies continues down the current path of covert sabotage and assassinations, then I'd expect a little tit for tat in response.

Also under law of the sea, hostile vessels cannot transit though Iranian waters. Neutral or allied vessels can pass through the strait, so technically the strait would only be closed to vessels Iran deems hostile. Iran can legally sink hostile vessels in their waters without warning. If they launched a massive assault against a US carrier group in the gulf a few seconds after they declared war, they'd probably do a lot of damage. I doubt that would happen. Instead I predict floating naval mines will appear in the strait at inopportune times forcing the US and its allies to close the strait until it was cleared of mines.

Also, Iran can close the strait temporarily for war games. A war game every time a US ally tried to use the strait would also not be closing the strait either, but it would be inconvenient.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bite me.

I've never promoted war. I'm pointing out that Iran has claws which could scratch the US and its allies, not promoting war or hoping for the US to loose a fight with Iran. I'm just speculating about the possibilities.

Dude you've been obsessing over a war with Iran for years now.

Also under law of the sea, hostile vessels cannot transit though Iranian waters.
Neutral or allied vessels can pass through the strait, so technically the strait would only be closed to vessels Iran deems hostile. Iran can legally sink hostile vessels in their waters without warning.

The Strait of Hormuz doesn't belong to Iran Brainstorm. They can't sink crap legally.

If they launched a massive assault against a US carrier group in the gulf a few seconds after they declared war, they'd probably do a lot of damage. I doubt that would happen. Instead I predict floating naval mines will appear in the strait at inopportune times forcing the US and its allies to close the strait until it was cleared of mines.

Also, Iran can close the strait temporarily for war games. A war game every time a US ally tried to use the strait would also not be closing the strait either, but it would be inconvenient.

They wouldn't be able to sink a thing. They would lose so much in the process. They already tried and their navy was stronger then. As I said... we sank 25% of their the Iranian Navy in an afternoon.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
ES, you'll have to quote me. I don't recall ever posting anything on this forum or any other supporting war as a solution. In fact I'm certain I've never done this, because I don't support wars or violence.

Meanwhile back on topic I read this article by Robert Fisk which points out the absurdity of claims that Iran is a few months or years away from building a nuclear weapon, especially when those claims are made by the Israeli government:

Robert Fisk: We've been here before
...The Israeli President warns us now that Iran is on the cusp of producing a nuclear weapon. Heaven preserve us. Yet we reporters do not mention that Shimon Peres, as Israeli Prime Minister, said exactly the same thing in 1996. That was 16 years ago. And we do not recall that the current Israeli PM, Benjamin Netanyahu, said in 1992 that Iran would have a nuclear bomb by 1999. That would be 13 years ago. Same old story....

Also I'd like to point out the absurdity of countries which have not signed the NPT or are in blantant violation of the NPT who actually have clandestinely built nuclear weapons demanding punitive measures against an NPT compliant country which allows all of its nuclear programs to be inspected and has sworn not to build nuclear weapons because they are "the work of the devil".

For the record, I am against the Theocratic Government of Iran for stuff they've done, not stuff their adversaries claim they've done.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
ES, you'll have to quote me. I don't recall ever posting anything on this forum or any other supporting war as a solution. In fact I'm certain I've never done this, because I don't support wars or violence.

You just obsess OBSESS obsess about a fictional war with Iran. Joooo hating and war are like fetishes to you.

You simply want there to be a war so you can go on and on about it.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
That's true. However Iran has focused its military research efforts on missiles:

I think Iran could sink every hostile ship in the Persian Gulf as well as damage US military bases throughout the region. I'm sure such action would come at a terrible cost. But Iran would be justified defending themselves from an unprovoked US led war based on unsubstantiated allegations.

The U.S. will not have to operate their ships in the confines of the Persian Gulf, they would be just as effective in the Indian Ocean or even the Mediterranean Sea. Submarines included. The problem is that you don't think about what Iran would be up against.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The U.S. will not have to operate their ships in the confines of the Persian Gulf, they would be just as effective in the Indian Ocean or even the Mediterranean Sea. Submarines included. The problem is that you don't think about what Iran would be up against.

He doesn't want to think of what they'll be up against. He wants to think that a few frigates, speed boats, and small corvettes will be able to sink a US Carrier Group. He wants to think that a bunch of land based missiles can sink every ship in the Persian Gulf.

He so wants to see that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

The Chines are very business orientated. Same with India - Iran will discount their oil. China cut their Jan orders by 50 % - Over the long term the sanctions will impact Iran - Banks - Basic food groups coting more - The Govt cut subsidies last year - Inflation running at 40 % - unemployment rising and like the US elections coming.

So Iran has a host of problems. Now if they go nuke, others will as well. Saudi will go nuke, anyone who thinks they will not is not thinking clearly. And Saudi along with others countries will ramp up their oil production.

So Iran will then become a pariah state, same as N Korea.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Chines are very business orientated. Same with India - Iran will discount their oil. China cut their Jan orders by 50 % - Over the long term the sanctions will impact Iran - Banks - Basic food groups coting more - The Govt cut subsidies last year - Inflation running at 40 % - unemployment rising and like the US elections coming.

So Iran has a host of problems. Now if they go nuke, others will as well. Saudi will go nuke, anyone who thinks they will not is not thinking clearly. And Saudi along with others countries will ramp up their oil production.

So Iran will then become a pariah state, same as N Korea.
If Iran goes nuke, it is because the west forced them to and do not have anybody else to blame. You push someone into a corner and even a mouse will come out fighting. The morons in charge at the Pentagon and other western war rooms are fuking lunatics, far worse than any in Iran. That is what you don't get.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If they were lunatics Iran would be a glass parking lot.
They're working on it. If it wasn't for their oil reserves they would be already. All this political pressure and interference is going to blow up in someones face. I just hope it is in the face of those who deserve it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They're working on it. If it wasn't for their oil reserves they would be already. All this political pressure and interference is going to blow up in someones face. I just hope it is in the face of those who deserve it.

Oh really? They're working on it? Well Cliff you must be in a position of great importance and have a pretty high security level to be able to peek into the Pentagon.

As if we don't have the capabilities already.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If Iran goes nuke, it is because the west forced them to and do not have anybody else to blame. You push someone into a corner and even a mouse will come out fighting. The morons in charge at the Pentagon and other western war rooms are fuking lunatics, far worse than any in Iran. That is what you don't get.

Iran could have negotiated security guarantees same as Cuba had after the 62 missile crisis. And the Pentagon is and has repeatedly informed the Govt and the media that attacking Iran would not be a positive decision. So the lunatics are preaching - do not have a war. Guess that qualifies as loony toones in some peoples books.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Iran could have negotiated security guarantees same as Cuba had after the 62 missile crisis. And the Pentagon is and has repeatedly informed the Govt and the media that attacking Iran would not be a positive decision. So the lunatics are preaching - do not have a war. Guess that qualifies as loony toones in some peoples books.

Like I said earlier... the real loonies are aching for a war so they can watch it on TV and run to the forum and tell us how bad war is.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The real loony toons are the ones who keep attacking other nations just because they can. Iran hasn't attacked anyone and are just trying to defend themselves from being attacked. You know I don't want anybody to have nukes, but if the west is going to have them and decide who can belong to their inner club, I say anyone who can build one should do so just to piss them self righteous pricks off.