Humboldt Broncos bus crash

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
NO!!! Millions of other Truck drivers do not drive over their legal limit..

What I think you are missing is Truck Drivers are regulated by the government. Truck Drivers can only drive up to 13 hours in 1 24 hour period.

View attachment 7250

These rules are in place for "COMMERCIAL" Drivers..

The same kind of rules are in place for Pilots, Naval Captains, Locomotive Engineers ... of course Truck Drivers don't get a fancy title and are pretty much shit on by everyone on the road.

So next time you go flying, make sure to tell your Pilot, "it's okay to break the rules.. millions do it." 😂😂

Shit next time I go flying.. I'm going to drop a brick out my window onto your home.. eh but millions do it.
I get what you are saying....................No truck drivers EVER break any rules or laws and NEVER have moments of bad judgment or distraction. You can debate sensibly w/o having to be an idiot! :) When was it the driver got deported back to India?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM.. are you frigging retarded..

I'm a truck driver.. those log books are in place for a reason.. in Canada you are not allowed to drive over 13 hours in a day.. in the USA 11 hours.

The LAWS are there for a reason.. because unlike a gun.. I have 80,000 LBS I'm driving down the road and can kill as many as one with a loaded gun, if not more.

In the USA they don't fuck around with this crap.. and you can go to jail.. it's because of the seriousness of the situation and stats.

Glad the guy was deported.. but wish he had more jail time.
Truck driver in Humboldt Broncos crash awaits deportation decision | The Star Phoenix
Are you sure he's been deported already?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I get what you are saying....................No truck drivers EVER break any rules or laws and NEVER have moments of bad judgment or distraction. You can debate sensibly w/o having to be an idiot! :) When was it the driver got deported back to India?

I didn't say that.. I said MILLIONS as YOU claimed are not doing that.. they are driving legally

Every driver has bad judgement.. but not ALL Drivers are Breaking the Law every day. Driving over your Hours of Service is Break the Law.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Reactions: 55Mercury

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
In the USA 99% of the trucks have what is called eLogs .. they shut your truck down so you don't break the law.

After the bus accident Canada figured it would be a good idea to do the same..

What is nice is the Government can look at this anytime and not only impose heavy fines if you break the laws, but also pull your license if you continue.

800px-Qualcomm_EOBR_model_MCP110_September_2011.png

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm guessing if he continues to drive in future he could well be one of the best truck drivers on the road. For 8 years he'll have an excellent chance to study the rules. He made a terrible mistake, we should leave it at that!
In response to your last post (that I can't find) about leaving him in jail to rot and beating the shit out of him.................is that the kind of world you want to live in? The drivers you know who would be willing to beat the shit out him should never be behind the wheel of anything more sophisticated than a wheel barrow! Violence is NEVER a good solution!

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Poor guy. I'd hate to have to live which such a mistake. I get the anger but a mistake is a mistake.
Good one Pete, now someone is finally starting to make sense. I know if it was my relative who was killed/crippled in that accident I'd want to strangle the guy, but sooner or later you have to come to terms with things, so you don't destroy yourself. Either way, nothing that has happened is going to change.

Reactions: petros

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Good one Pete, now someone is finally starting to make sense. I know if it was my relative who was killed/crippled in that accident I'd want to strangle the guy, but sooner or later you have to come to terms with things, so you don't destroy yourself. Either way, nothing that has happened is going to change.

Go to bed, I know you got school in the morning

ExDH7.jpg

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago I read in an old law book (probably unofficial) that you can't be charged with a crime you didn't mean to commit, BUT obviously there's exceptions to that ruling...............one would be when drunk!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Driver in Humboldt Broncos crash denied first bid to remain in Canada after sentence
Jaskirat Singh Sidhu could be deported to India after his release from prison. He was sentenced on March 22, 2019 to eight years in prison.

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
Publishing date:Mar 09, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 3 minute read • 8 Comments
Jaskirat Sidhu, the driver of the truck that collided with the bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos hockey team, arrives for his sentencing hearing on January 31, 2019 in Melfort, Sask.
Jaskirat Sidhu, the driver of the truck that collided with the bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos hockey team, arrives for his sentencing hearing on January 31, 2019 in Melfort, Sask.
Article content
By Bill Graveland

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The Canada Border Services Agency has rejected a request from the former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash that he be allowed to stay in Canada once his prison sentence has been served.

As a result, the case of Jaskirat Singh Sidhu will now be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide if he should be deported back to India.

Sidhu’s lawyer, Michael Greene, said he and his clients had hoped for better news.

“My clients are devastated of course. It’s just terrible news. They had hoped for the best, but it was not to be,” Greene told The Canadian Press Wednesday.

“The deportation hearing, or as they call it the immigration inquiry, will be more or less automatic. They have decided to push through that process by sending him to this hearing where the result will be automatic — a deportation order will be issued.”

Advertisement 3
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Anna Pape, a senior communications spokeswoman for the Immigration and Refugee Board, said a hearing hasn’t been scheduled yet.

In March 2019, Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the April 6, 2018, collision that killed 16 people and injured 13.

Court was told Sidhu, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural Saskatchewan intersection and drove into the path of the Humboldt Broncos bus carrying players and staff to a junior hockey league playoff game.

Greene said Sidhu is already eligible for parole and “they can deport any time after parole eligibility.”

He is considering challenging the decision by the agency in Federal Court once he sees the reasons for rejecting his application.

Advertisement 4
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Chris Joseph,whose son Jaxon died in the collision, was one of several Broncos families who have written letters asking for Sidhu to be deported, saying the laws are there for a reason.

“The Government of Canada (CBSA) has spoken and we support their decision,” Joseph said in a text message Wednesday. “Justice is served.”

Scott Thomas, who lost his 18-year-old son, Evan, in the crash, said he’s disappointed Sidhu could be deported.

“I had the opportunity to meet with him, I had the opportunity to cry with him, and have been able to move past that. Whether he’s in the country is no issue in our family’s healing process,” Thomas said in an interview from Saskatoon.

Thomas had written a letter supporting Sidhu to stay in the country, because he feels Sidhu could help push through tougher trucking regulations in the industry.

Advertisement 5
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“That’s part of the reason why I’m disappointed. It’s another story that goes away, and people move on and forget about some of the issues that created the opportunity for this horrible tragedy.”

Several other Broncos families declined to comment.

Greene said his client had hoped he and his wife would be able to share a future in Canada.

“One of the things they are grateful for is there has been incredible public support for them and I think they were even surprised that the sheer volume and percentage has been supportive,” Greene said.

“I’m sure there are haters out there. I’m sure there are people who can’t forgive or won’t forgive or who just feel that justice demands deportation and it’s completely understandable.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 9, 2022.

— With files from Mickey Djuric in Regina and Stephanie Taylor in Ottawa

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Driver in Humboldt Broncos crash denied first bid to remain in Canada after sentence
Jaskirat Singh Sidhu could be deported to India after his release from prison. He was sentenced on March 22, 2019 to eight years in prison.

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
Publishing date:Mar 09, 2022 • 8 hours ago • 3 minute read • 8 Comments
Article content
By Bill Graveland

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The Canada Border Services Agency has rejected a request from the former truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash that he be allowed to stay in Canada once his prison sentence has been served.

As a result, the case of Jaskirat Singh Sidhu will now be handed over to the Immigration and Refugee Board to decide if he should be deported back to India.

Sidhu’s lawyer, Michael Greene, said he and his clients had hoped for better news.

“My clients are devastated of course. It’s just terrible news. They had hoped for the best, but it was not to be,” Greene told The Canadian Press Wednesday.

“The deportation hearing, or as they call it the immigration inquiry, will be more or less automatic. They have decided to push through that process by sending him to this hearing where the result will be automatic — a deportation order will be issued.”

Advertisement 3
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Anna Pape, a senior communications spokeswoman for the Immigration and Refugee Board, said a hearing hasn’t been scheduled yet.

In March 2019, Sidhu was sentenced to eight years after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and bodily harm in the April 6, 2018, collision that killed 16 people and injured 13.

Court was told Sidhu, a newly married permanent resident, went through a stop sign at a rural Saskatchewan intersection and drove into the path of the Humboldt Broncos bus carrying players and staff to a junior hockey league playoff game.

Greene said Sidhu is already eligible for parole and “they can deport any time after parole eligibility.”

He is considering challenging the decision by the agency in Federal Court once he sees the reasons for rejecting his application.

Advertisement 4
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“Chris Joseph,whose son Jaxon died in the collision, was one of several Broncos families who have written letters asking for Sidhu to be deported, saying the laws are there for a reason.

“The Government of Canada (CBSA) has spoken and we support their decision,” Joseph said in a text message Wednesday. “Justice is served.”

Scott Thomas, who lost his 18-year-old son, Evan, in the crash, said he’s disappointed Sidhu could be deported.

“I had the opportunity to meet with him, I had the opportunity to cry with him, and have been able to move past that. Whether he’s in the country is no issue in our family’s healing process,” Thomas said in an interview from Saskatoon.

Thomas had written a letter supporting Sidhu to stay in the country, because he feels Sidhu could help push through tougher trucking regulations in the industry.

Advertisement 5
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“That’s part of the reason why I’m disappointed. It’s another story that goes away, and people move on and forget about some of the issues that created the opportunity for this horrible tragedy.”

Several other Broncos families declined to comment.

Greene said his client had hoped he and his wife would be able to share a future in Canada.

“One of the things they are grateful for is there has been incredible public support for them and I think they were even surprised that the sheer volume and percentage has been supportive,” Greene said.

“I’m sure there are haters out there. I’m sure there are people who can’t forgive or won’t forgive or who just feel that justice demands deportation and it’s completely understandable.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 9, 2022.

— With files from Mickey Djuric in Regina and Stephanie Taylor in Ottawa
Sadly this is a situation where there are no winners! Who among us hasn't blown through a stop sign at some point in our driving history. In 999 times out of a thousand, the consequences are nowhere near as tragic. I suppose there has to be a sentence severe enough to recognize the horrendousness of the outcome. I think 8 years in prison is a good start at addressing that. Deporting him could well be the final straw in completely destroying the man, maybe we should stop short of that by substituting an additional 5 years of community service.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sadly this is a situation where there are no winners! Who among us hasn't blown through a stop sign at some point in our driving history. In 999 times out of a thousand, the consequences are nowhere near as tragic. I suppose there has to be a sentence severe enough to recognize the horrendousness of the outcome. I think 8 years in prison is a good start at addressing that. Deporting him could well be the final straw in completely destroying the man, maybe we should stop short of that by substituting an additional 5 years of community service.
I disagree, but I honor your wisdom and mercy.

Reactions: Dixie Cup