Good argument for gun control

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yeah right. They just decided that Arizona should just pay money in lawyer's bills and not to compensate innocents who were hurt by the criminally racist baby killer Arpissaio.

My my you sound hateful enough to have done this....
Who Mailed Explosives to Sheriff Joe Arpaio? - Dashiell Bennett - The Atlantic Wire

Suspicious package containing explosive material sent to Arizona Sheriff Arpaio | Fox News

Were you ever a prisoner there....being an ambulance chaser and all......and what have you got against pink underwear

Joe Arpaio, Toughest Sheriff in U.S. - TIME

I thought you liked......Robin Hood - Men in tights The Night Is Young and You're So Beautiful. - YouTube

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am personally offended by this guy's complete lack of fashion sense. Jeans and running shoes with a sport jacket and dress shirt! Appalling!

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Here's an interesting article on some of the racist elements behind gun control, from both a black and white viewpoint.

The Secret History of Guns - Adam Winkler - The Atlantic

Inspired by the teachings of Malcolm X, Newton and Seale decided to fight back. Before he was assassinated in 1965, Malcolm X had preached against Martin Luther King Jr.’s brand of nonviolent resistance. Because the government was “either unable or unwilling to protect the lives and property” of blacks, he said, they had to defend themselves “by whatever means necessary.” Malcolm X illustrated the idea for Ebony magazine by posing for photographs in suit and tie, peering out a window with an M-1 carbine semiautomatic in hand. Malcolm X and the Panthers described their right to use guns in self-defense in constitutional terms. “Article number two of the constitutional amendments,” Malcolm X argued, “provides you and me the right to own a rifle or a shotgun.”

Guns became central to the Panthers’ identity, as they taught their early recruits that “the gun is the only thing that will free us—gain us our liberation.” They bought some of their first guns with earnings from selling copies of Mao Zedong’s Little Red Book to students at the University of California at Berkeley. In time, the Panther arsenal included machine guns; an assortment of rifles, handguns, explosives, and grenade launchers; and “boxes and boxes of ammunition,” recalled Elaine Brown, one of the party’s first female members, in her 1992 memoir. Some of this matériel came from the federal government: one member claimed he had connections at Camp Pendleton, in Southern California, who would sell the Panthers anything for the right price. One Panther bragged that, if they wanted, they could have bought an M48 tank and driven it right up the freeway.

Sounds like Reagan was pro gun control when it suited him.

Republicans in California eagerly supported increased gun control. Governor Reagan told reporters that afternoon that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” He called guns a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan said he didn’t “know of any sportsman who leaves his home with a gun to go out into the field to hunt or for target shooting who carries that gun loaded.” The Mulford Act, he said, “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
A little background on the pic...

That is Day 1 of the Revolution. It depicts the march back to Lexington from Concord between the Minutemen and the British. No dug in positions. It was a running battle the whole way and the Regulars did not fare so well that day. In fact the Regulars took a beating and if not for the relief column from Boston the initial expedition would have been bagged back on the Lexington Green.

So they weren't waiting for their turn to charge up hill. The pic depicts the Regulars Light Infantry skirmishing and keeping the swarming minutemen back from the main column of retreating Regulars along what is known as Battle Road.

Now that's rich! Whoop!

Just read your post now, Eagle, several weeks late, and I apologize. My point was the Brits were in red and stood out----good targets.

They used to advance in a block, the ones in the rear replacing the fallen. Stupid move. Whereas the Yanks skirmished and took cover---good move. Probably has a lot to do with why they won.

Glad they did. Can't stand the Brit accent.

eh wot 8O

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just read your post now, Eagle, several weeks late, and I apologize. My point was the Brits were in red and stood out----good targets.

They used to advance in a block, the ones in the rear replacing the fallen. Stupid move. Whereas the Yanks skirmished and took cover---good move. Probably has a lot to do with why they won.

Glad they did. Can't stand the Brit accent.

eh wot 8O

Funny part is George Washington hated the Long Rifles with their rifled muskets, "hunting shirts," and (in Washington's opinion) lousy discipline. He wanted to fight Brit style.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Funny part is George Washington hated the Long Rifles with their rifled muskets, "hunting shirts," and (in Washington's opinion) lousy discipline. He wanted to fight Brit style.

The truth of the matter is that the rebels did not do very well until they adopted the infantry tactics of the day....the "Brit style", if you will.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
not completely true, the militia of farmers and hunters proved to be very valuable in the forests in non traditional warfare, as well as scouting.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Baden Powell ( founder of the Boy Scouts) return to England with scouting knowledge that he learned on US soil?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I was under th impression he was born with much of it, but honed it in Africa.

you are absolutely correct, I just looked it up. Besides he was born about 70 years after 1776, so I was waaaayyyy off base on this one. LOL