Boy, 8, accused of killing more pets

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
maybe this kid has been to Spain and watched them kill bulls, not for cruelty of course?
Maybe. On the other hand, maybe he has never heard of a society that allows cruelty, too, though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Maybe. On the other hand, maybe he has never heard of a society that allows cruelty, too, though.

I think Scott's point has some relevance though (although not to the extreme he takes it imo).... across the ocean 8 year olds can be revered for being cruel enough to slowly kill a bull, but right here right now, our society pretends he's an abberation and demands he be beaten or ostracized because we associate him with serial killers. He's not an abberation, he's a fairly stable (speaking percentage wise) expression of humanity. Teaching him that we have no need to be cruel to animals anymore, teaching him how to fit into society, makes more sense to me than pretending an 8 year old is less than human.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think Scott's point has some relevance though (although not to the extreme he takes it imo).... across the ocean 8 year olds can be revered for being cruel enough to slowly kill a bull, but right here right now,
Exactly, this is here and now.
our society pretends he's an abberation and demands he be beaten or ostracized because we associate him with serial killers.
And I repeat what I usually say, our society is sick. It needs fixing.
He's not an abberation, he's a fairly stable (speaking percentage wise) expression of humanity. Teaching him that we have no need to be cruel to animals anymore, teaching him how to fit into society, makes more sense to me than pretending an 8 year old is less than human.
Exactly why I said the boy needs active therapy, not beating.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah, but you can't pretend it's a given, unless you can prove that a good percentage of animal abusers go on to become serial killers. Get what I mean?

There are way more animal abusers in the world than there are serial killers.

That's not to say the kid doesn't need counselling, it's just one of my pet peeves when people use pop psych to try to evaluate from a distance the outcome of a child.

Does this mean you would trust this boy around your own children? PETA Media Center > Factsheets > Animal Abuse and Human Abuse: Partners in Crime

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Children and Animal Cruelty:
As natural "explorers," don't all children sometimes harm animals?
Absolutely not. While some children kill insects, few torture pets or other small creatures. If allowed to harm animals, children are more likely to be violent later in life. Animal cruelty, like any other violence, should never be attributed to a stage of development.
What kind of children are cruel to animals?
Serious or repeated animal cruelty is seen more often in boys than in girls. Children as young as four may harm animals, but such behavior is most common during adolescence. Cruelty is often associated with children who do poorly in school and have low self-esteem and few friends. Children who are cruel to animals are often characterized as bullies and may have a history of truancy, vandalism, and other antisocial behaviors.
What does animal cruelty indicate about family dynamics? Researchers say that a child's violence against animals often represents displaced hostility and aggression stemming from neglect or abuse of the child or of another family member. Animal cruelty committed by any member of a family, whether parent or child, often means child abuse occurs in that family.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Yup. That's the answer to everything. If it doesn't behave the way we want, beat it. Geee, let's reinforce the behavior in the kid by showing him we do it, too.

Yup..... or put him through the same failed system of youth justice where he get's a stern talking to, set loose back into society to continue beating and killing animals which will eventually progress towards beating and killing humans, which of course won't be his fault either and when he becomes an adult, his record is wiped clean as if he never did anything wrong, just so he can start all over again.

Cuz that's been working so well.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Does this mean you would trust this boy around your own children? PETA Media Center > Factsheets > Animal Abuse and Human Abuse: Partners in Crime
PETA! Holy mackerel juan, you are leaving yourself wide open for ridicule from quite a few people on here that think they are a bunch of wackos (Wacko being anybody who has an opposing view, that is).

At 8 years old, the kid is obviously seeking attention. My guess would be that he is abused or neglected at home, or as VanIsle stated, doesn't get enough hugs. Most of our kids are raised by TVs. How can we expect stable, balanced children? We have a whole generation or two who have very little social skills because they were taught life by the Mutant Ninja Turtles.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
PETA! Holy mackerel juan, you are leaving yourself wide open for ridicule from quite a few people on here that think they are a bunch of wackos (Wacko being anybody who has an opposing view, that is).

At 8 years old, the kid is obviously seeking attention. My guess would be that he is abused or neglected at home, or as VanIsle stated, doesn't get enough hugs. Most of our kids are raised by TVs. How can we expect stable, balanced children? We have a whole generation or two who have very little social skills because they were taught life by the Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Hey, hey, don't knock TMNT. Master splinter was one wise rat.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
yeah... let's wait and look at punishment. We'll rehabilitate viscious dogs,

We do? Last I heard they're killed unless someone goes to the media to plea for public support to save their dog and sway opinion.

..... but, for a child, let's beat him or wait until he gets older to level some other punishment. Let's not, oh, I don't know, try to help him or anything. He's just another human being after all.
Then what sort of wonderful "Help" would you suggest that would work?

I knew a punk like this growing up, who continually killed and abused animals and bragged about it.... the police didn't do anything about him besides tell his parents to lecture him, which did nothing, and when the last I saw him back when we were around 20-21 years old, he was bragging about how one day he was walking down the street with his grandmother when a dog chained up in someone's yard barked at them and startled his grandmother..... so he came back later in the night and while it was in its pin, he poured gas all over the dog and then set him on fire and just stood there and watched.

This kid apparently didn't learn from his past actions as even in the report they said "RCMP and Child, Youth and Family Services were addressing the incident because of the boy's age" Which sounds to me like they threw everything they had at the kid to "Help" him..... and it didn't work.

Yes.... let's keep talking to the kid, cuz that worked before..... How dare anybody suggest giving this kid some form of punishment to show there are at least consequences for his actions..... if he can't understand that killing and beating animals, other people's pets at that, is wrong, then maybe he will understand that there will be punishments for doing wrong.

But apparently even that's too harsh.

Because we are the system, and look at what the base response is. 'Beat him, hurt him.'

Yeah well nobody said to kill him or brutally beat him so he can't walk anymore.

For the 900th time (ok 900 might be a little exaggeration):

Operant Conditioning - Introduction to Operant Conditioning

Operant conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd bet my left foot that beating the kid would only reinforce his aberrant behavior.

Then toss him into boot camp, military school or institutionalize the little freak.

I wonder how long it will take for him to take a hammer to one of his classmates. Serial killers usually start out with pets
and at some point move on to people.

Exactly.... and these type of people when given plenty of lee way will eventually come to the conclusion that they have power over everybody else, that the consequences for their actions are minimal or non-existent.... and when the time comes that he decides to kidnap a fellow classmate, take them out into the woods and torture/beat them to death, he'll be dragged into the courts and of course will plea insanity or something else to work around the system, like mommy and daddy didn't love him enough or something stupid...... then gets maybe 2 months in some adult day care where they teach him how to make baskets and socks, adding further insult to his victims and their families.

Yea, beating the kid won't do anything - except possibly make matters worse. And at this age, while I believe the child is fully aware of his actions, he is also aware that he can get away with it because there is no proper punishment. I don't believe he thinks his actions are ethically justifiable though. He's not delusional or a sociopath - he's an eight-year old kid that gets a high on killing small creatures. Maybe he should play some COD and kill some humans for a real thrill, lol.

Oh, he gets a high on killing small creatures.... so that makes it so much better?

You make it sound like something every 8 year old kid goes through like it's normal to go around clubbing and killing animals/other people's pets.

The one time I actually used violence against something or someone, I got a good smack with a good yelling and I learned pretty damn quickly not to do that crap again..... pretty simple and quite effective..... In fact, when I did something stupid.... and I mean really stupid growing up, I got a good throttling.... it never encouraged me into thinking that being abusive to others is a good thing and to keep doing it, nor can I remember the last time I was ever violent to someone except in cases of self defense.

This isn't some kid spilling milk all over the table we're talking about.

Yet some here want to make it sound like I'm in support of a regular everyday thrashing at 4:00pm on the dot for the sake of it..... black and white for some it seems.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Praxius, your response to this is shocking to say the least.

*Sigh*

Beat him! Why? You don't beat these children. You TEACH these children.
Looks like this goon already got all the teaching he could get when they sent the RCMP, Child Services, Youth Services and Family Services all after him the first time around...... and it clearly failed because he ended up killing more animals.

So tell me your wonderful, less shocking solution to curing this kid of his sadistic tendencies that these organizations didn't already do.

Sociopaths can be cured if treated by the age of 15 years. The treatment doesn't start or end with a beating. He's probably already either being beaten or is watching someone else get beaten.
If that was the case then I'd be chopping up people right now and storing them in my freezer..... I would have been attacking and killing animals for my own sick pleasure when I was growing up..... I would have been a bully in school, picking fights with everybody I came across, yet I never did any of these things, in fact I tolerated a lot of crap other kids did to me and I was the complete opposite of what you're claiming above.

He needs a lot of TLC. I believe my ex-daughter-in-law is a sociopath. She had her children for two days last week. Because her son did not comb his hair the way she wanted, she started heavy slapping around.
And so you think I'm also in support of beating kids around for stupid things like not coming their hair right, brushing their teeth, spilling their food, etc?

I'm talking about a kid who kills, not some kid who can't figure out how to comb his hair..... two completely different things.

She went to our son and told him what she did but she put the blame all on the child. His hair is a little long. It's summer and he has "beach hair". He washes it and gives it a good shake and that's his combing. It dries and looks fine. Trying to comb long wet hair just makes it look stupid. Was a physical fight with a 12 year old that you only see a few hours a week worth it? The kids all spent Mon & Tues camping with us. My grandson came seeking many hugs. I have lots to give. The boy in the story may seem like a monster and right now, in a way, he is. But with lots of love and understanding, he can change. He can come to the understanding that what he did was wrong and cruel. He probably needs to be removed from his current environment.
I do not agree with the actions being taken in your above story, and your above story is completely different then the original report.

Who's to say this kid isn't already getting all the love, snuggles and rainbows he needs/wants? There's no evidence in the report stating he does or doesn't and there are plenty of kids like this wanker who do get plenty of attention, sometimes a little too much imo, and still end up like freaks like this kid..... all the while their parents sob on the camera saying they don't understand what went wrong, their child was such an angel and wouldn't hurt a fly.

you're using the wrong end of the correlation....

serial killers usually start with animals, but, not everyone who kills an animal turns into a serial killer. especially if given some help at a young age.

Killing one animal is one thing..... continuing to kill more animals after already being caught and having everything the system can throw at you to teach you what you're doing is wrong is a whole other ball game.

Right on! Canada's next serial killer.

Chances are you're right..... though none of us will ever know for sure because he'll be covered up by the system until he's 18 and then have all his past records wiped, so we'll never truly know if it's the same kid or not, or if there's a correlation.

That's the other problem..... they should be giving these kid's names out to the public.... no matter what their age is.... 8, 13, 16 years old... it doesn't matter..... maybe if they figure out that they won't be protected and covered up by the system and that their neighbors, classmates and friends all will know what they did or will do.... maybe they won't do it in the first place.

My father used to say that if any of us ever broke the law, he'd call the police himself (he was friends with a number of RCMP, so it wasn't far fetched) and get them to haul us away to jail and get the stiffest penalties possible.

Of course in reality this was kind of impossible to occur, but none of us knew about or protections with the Youth Justice system at the time and really thought we'd go to jail..... which is what I count as a good reason why I didn't screw around.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yup..... or put him through the same failed system of youth justice where he get's a stern talking to, set loose back into society to continue beating and killing animals which will eventually progress towards beating and killing humans, which of course won't be his fault either and when he becomes an adult, his record is wiped clean as if he never did anything wrong, just so he can start all over again.

Cuz that's been working so well.
:roll: So embedding the abusive attitude into the kid by beating him will do what? Why not just kill the kid right off and be done with it?
He's already displayed an abnormal amount of aberrant behavior, let's make it worse by showing him it is ok to beat living things. :tard:

We do? Last I heard they're killed unless someone goes to the media to plea for public support to save their dog and sway opinion.

Then what sort of wonderful "Help" would you suggest that would work?

I knew a punk like this growing up, who continually killed and abused animals and bragged about it.... the police didn't do anything about him besides tell his parents to lecture him, which did nothing, and when the last I saw him back when we were around 20-21 years old, he was bragging about how one day he was walking down the street with his grandmother when a dog chained up in someone's yard barked at them and startled his grandmother..... so he came back later in the night and while it was in its pin, he poured gas all over the dog and then set him on fire and just stood there and watched.

This kid apparently didn't learn from his past actions as even in the report they said "RCMP and Child, Youth and Family Services were addressing the incident because of the boy's age" Which sounds to me like they threw everything they had at the kid to "Help" him..... and it didn't work.

Yes.... let's keep talking to the kid, cuz that worked before..... How dare anybody suggest giving this kid some form of punishment to show there are at least consequences for his actions..... if he can't understand that killing and beating animals, other people's pets at that, is wrong, then maybe he will understand that there will be punishments for doing wrong.

But apparently even that's too harsh.
It's quite likely that being beaten is why he lashes out on small animals to begin with.

Yeah well nobody said to kill him or brutally beat him so he can't walk anymore.
Right. You didn't specify as tyo what "beating" consisted of.

Then toss him into boot camp, military school or institutionalize the little freak.
A whole lot better idea than your first one.

Exactly.... and these type of people when given plenty of lee way will eventually come to the conclusion that they have power over everybody else, that the consequences for their actions are minimal or non-existent.... and when the time comes that he decides to kidnap a fellow classmate, take them out into the woods and torture/beat them to death, he'll be dragged into the courts and of course will plea insanity or something else to work around the system, like mommy and daddy didn't love him enough or something stupid...... then gets maybe 2 months in some adult day care where they teach him how to make baskets and socks, adding further insult to his victims and their families.
Sometimes, yup. We never hear about the ones that go through therapy and become fairly regular people. All we hear about are the ones that start out ok then turn bad because of some abuse of some sort and end up being societies' pariahs.

Oh, he gets a high on killing small creatures.... so that makes it so much better?

You make it sound like something every 8 year old kid goes through like it's normal to go around clubbing and killing animals/other people's pets.
I didn't see it that way.

The one time I actually used violence against something or someone, I got a good smack with a good yelling and I learned pretty damn quickly not to do that crap again..... pretty simple and quite effective..... In fact, when I did something stupid.... and I mean really stupid growing up, I got a good throttling....
Yet some here want to make it sound like I'm in support of a regular everyday thrashing at 4:00pm on the dot for the sake of it..... black and white for some it seems.
Nope. You make it sound like that to people.

If that was the case then I'd be chopping up people right now and storing them in my freezer..... I would have been attacking and killing animals for my own sick pleasure when I was growing up..... I would have been a bully in school, picking fights with everybody I came across, yet I never did any of these things, in fact I tolerated a lot of crap other kids did to me and I was the complete opposite of what you're claiming above.
So you are saying you were the same as this kid is? Then you're hardly one that people should go to for answers.
Who's to say this kid isn't already getting all the love, snuggles and rainbows he needs/wants?
Studies. Anyone with half a wit could figure out there's something abnormal in this kid's behavior. Upbringing is simply the most common reason.
There's no evidence in the report stating he does or doesn't and there are plenty of kids like this wanker who do get plenty of attention, sometimes a little too much imo, and still end up like freaks like this kid..... all the while their parents sob on the camera saying they don't understand what went wrong, their child was such an angel and wouldn't hurt a fly.
Plenty of kids like him? How many is plenty? Do you have reports?

Killing one animal is one thing..... continuing to kill more animals after already being caught and having everything the system can throw at you to teach you what you're doing is wrong is a whole other ball game.
Yup. So normal punishment won't work on abnormal behavior. That should be obvious.

That's the other problem..... they should be giving these kid's names out to the public.... no matter what their age is.... 8, 13, 16 years old... it doesn't matter..... maybe if they figure out that they won't be protected and covered up by the system and that their neighbors, classmates and friends all will know what they did or will do.... maybe they won't do it in the first place.

My father used to say that if any of us ever broke the law, he'd call the police himself (he was friends with a number of RCMP, so it wasn't far fetched) and get them to haul us away to jail and get the stiffest penalties possible.

Of course in reality this was kind of impossible to occur, but none of us knew about or protections with the Youth Justice system at the time and really thought we'd go to jail..... which is what I count as a good reason why I didn't screw around.
Yup. That'll be the panacea to curing everyone alright.
Oh, wait threat of jailtime doesn't work now, even on adults.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

My children are 8 and 10, unless I know the other kid really well, their play time is supervised anyway. And yes, they do have playdates with some socially challenged kids who I'd never trust them alone with. I'm not about to be complicit in someone's mental damage by participating in the ostracizing of an 8 year old who could obviously use some behaviour modeling.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Chances are you're right..... though none of us will ever know for sure because he'll be covered up by the system until he's 18 and then have all his past records wiped, so we'll never truly know if it's the same kid or not, or if there's a correlation.

He'll be going to the psych until unil he's 18. That's one record that will NEVER go away.

I know of the perfect place for him here in SK. I have a friend that works at one facility that is an ex Marine pshycologist that worked at Gitmo from 2001 to 2004. He's incredible with disturbed kids.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Praxius, you don't know this kid, and you can't predict what he will be like based on one abhorrent behaviour he shares with someone you knew.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My children are 8 and 10, unless I know the other kid really well, their play time is supervised anyway. And yes, they do have playdates with some socially challenged kids who I'd never trust them alone with. I'm not about to be complicit in someone's mental damage by participating in the ostracizing of an 8 year old who could obviously use some behaviour modeling.

What bothers me about this kid is that he seems bereft of pity. He literally beat the dog to death. It's not like he accidentally shot the dog and it was instantly dead, he beat the dog until it was no longer alive. The dog was on a leash and couldn't get away. Somebody has to teach this kid as soon as possible that this behavior is completely unacceptable.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
An eight-year-old kid is old enough to know right from wrong. The kid and his parents should be doing laps around a psychiatrist's office with a possible chemical straight-jacket chaser.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What bothers me about this kid is that he seems bereft of pity. He literally beat the dog to death. It's not like he accidentally shot the dog and it was instantly dead, he beat the dog until it was no longer alive. The dog was on a leash and couldn't get away. Somebody has to teach this kid as soon as possible that this behavior is completely unacceptable.

I agree 100%.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Heuristic way is the most effective way of teaching/learning.

Let a kid touch a hotplate once, he'll never do it again.

Let a kid feel exactly how the animal, that he tortured feel and he probably won't do it again.

That is not cruelty, that is common sense.