Boy, 8, accused of killing more pets

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The comment wasn't directed at everyone... Just you

My initial comment was not intended to elicit personal comments about how much one cares about animals, I'd like to think that this is a given. My interpretation of the responses in this thread are that there is an exclusive focus on assessing a victim status on the perpetrator while ignoring the boy's target (dog). Had that boy's victim been another child, I can not imagine for one moment that the victim (ie dead child) would be treated as incidental.

Now, before Anna jumps down my back on this, I am not suggesting that there is a direct and equal parallel with a dog's life as compared to a child's life (although personally, I'd say that they are damned close), but to completely and entirely ignore that life is (in my view) frightening.

the animals life was not ignored at all, and of course it is human nature to take the life of a child
more seriously than an animal's life, but I also bring the two much closer, like you, when talking of
the two events, animals mean a great deal to me, more so than it does to many, I think.

Human nature is complex, where a person could murder another, that same person might
be very kind to animals, but this particular incident is very disturbing, it gives
out symptoms of a much deeper problem, the child is young, should be rehabilitated
right now, so he doesn't continue committing these crimes, it would be very satisfying
to see this young boy grow up to be 'normal', and fit into society, and not have a
big problem that extends beyond his life and harms others, including animals.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
CBC News - Nfld. & Labrador - Boy, 8, accused of killing more pets

Sounds like someone should give him a good beating so he knows what it's like.

I noticed the comments for the report were closed.... I imagine I wasn't the only one who thought so.
1. The child's behavior is obviously abnormal.
That means
2. what goes on in his head is abnormal.
That means
3. that regular punishment and treatment will not work because the child will react to it differently than a normal child.
4. The child needs psychiatric care.
5. I'm hoping you mean "spanking" rather than "beating" because parental beating is probably why the child's behavior is abnormal.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The more I'm around people, the more I like dogs.

I've always loved that little saying, and as a person who doesn't socialize much,
but does get around the valley everyday, and I do chit chat with many people, strangers
in stores, workers, waitresses, golf partners, etc., but keep close friends at arms length.
That is my socializing, chatting with all the 'very' friendly,( yup, that's right,) people here in the comox valley,

analyze that folks, why am I so happy. (off topic, sorry)

slightly back on topic - I killed a 3 day old puppy once, it was lying on it's back on the palm
of my hand, I was tube feeding it, and I made the mistake of inserting the tube 'wrongly', it went
directly into the lungs instead of it's stomach, I injected the milk, the puppy instantly died,
and I cried.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
For the 900th time (ok 900 might be a little exaggeration):

Operant Conditioning - Introduction to Operant Conditioning

Operant conditioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd bet my left foot that beating the kid would only reinforce his aberrant behavior.
Same.

Yup..... or put him through the same failed system of youth justice where he get's a stern talking to, set loose back into society to continue beating and killing animals which will eventually progress towards beating and killing humans, which of course won't be his fault either and when he becomes an adult, his record is wiped clean as if he never did anything wrong, just so he can start all over again.

Cuz that's been working so well.
It's better than your reaction of beating. All beating would do is reinforce his abnormal behavior. That's even more counterproductive than you think the system is.

The comment wasn't directed at everyone... Just you
And?
Your comment was born out of sheer ignorance. Anna is animal crazy. Sometimes I think she likes animals more than humans. So as she said, your comment was quite stupid.

My initial comment was not intended to elicit personal comments about how much one cares about animals, I'd like to think that this is a given. My interpretation of the responses in this thread are that there is an exclusive focus on assessing a victim status on the perpetrator while ignoring the boy's target (dog). Had that boy's victim been another child, I can not imagine for one moment that the victim (ie dead child) would be treated as incidental.
Ya think? Did you think why that might be? I'll give you a few clues:
1. The dog is dead.
2. Nothing can be done for the dog.
3. The kid is alive.
4. Something can be done for the child.

Give the thread time and it may come around to the point of discussing animal cruelty.

Now, before Anna jumps down my back on this, I am not suggesting that there is a direct and equal parallel with a dog's life as compared to a child's life (although personally, I'd say that they are damned close), but to completely and entirely ignore that life is (in my view) frightening.
You underestimate Anna.

lone wolf, you hit the nail right on the head.

No puppy ever needed to be put down as much as this "child".
hhmmm That's a particularly sociopathic comment.