Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ya, there was a similar pilot program like it in Edmonton as well where mental health professionals are supposed to go with the police on domestic calls and calls for disruptive individuals who are exhibiting mental health distress.

Don't know if it's still going on as I haven't heard anything recently about the program. Maybe someone else here knows more.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ditto, but I HAVE engaged with people with Dementia.

There IS a difference.

I pity your family that you approve of murdering those who minds have changed due to age.
I said no such thing. Another figment of your overactive imagination. What I do approve of is first responders ensuring the scene is safe for both them and any bystanders. Letting a deranged person run lose with two knives does not fit that description.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I said no such thing. Another figment of your overactive imagination. What I do approve of is first responders ensuring the scene is safe for both them and any bystanders. Letting a deranged person run lose with two knives does not fit that description.

You absolutely implied it. Continually calling a dementia patient "deranged" is openly being ignorant of the fact the two are NOT the same states of mind.

If you approve of first responders securing the scene, then you should be as pissed that a trigger happy cop who had NO training to deal with dementia patients murdered this lady. What SHOULD have happened is someone trained to DEAL with dementia patients be sent to the scene to talk the woman down into giving the knives up.

But since you're all for cops shooting the elderly with dementia, again, I feel bad for your family.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
You absolutely implied it. Continually calling a dementia patient "deranged" is openly being ignorant of the fact the two are NOT the same states of mind.

If you approve of first responders securing the scene, then you should be as pissed that a trigger happy cop who had NO training to deal with dementia patients murdered this lady. What SHOULD have happened is someone trained to DEAL with dementia patients be sent to the scene to talk the woman down into giving the knives up.

But since you're all for cops shooting the elderly with dementia, again, I feel bad for your family.
My question still is though - why did no one tell the cop she had dementia? How was he to know? Or, was he told and it was edited from the video? We really don't know the whole story but it should NEVER have happened and even tho' the cop might not have known she had dementia, he should never have taken the shot as she wasn't threatening at all. It would have been different if she had "charged" him with the knives but she didn't - she just stood there. Shameful.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You are partly right. The authorities should have sent a social worker, not a cop. However they did send a cop, and he followed his training. So no bad shit for him for being sent to do a job he was poorly trained for. Dealing with people in an altered state in the field is not like having them in a hospital setting.
I had to deal with 1 so far. One of my neighbours that I don't know totally lost it, and when we arrived she was curled up on the porch howling. Very freaky, and I freely admit we are no where near trained to deal with these situations. Not sure how it happened but I got to be lead on this. THere was nothing around her, making the scene safe, but she was very agitated but didn't appear violent. Gave her a blanket which she dove under and kept howling. I must have talked to her for 20 minutes with little response before the cops showed up. Ambulance showed up about the same time. They were not much help. Anyway eventually she snapped out of it. When she came out of it was much like a person coming out of a diabetic coma. I would really like to not have to repeat it.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My question still is though - why did no one tell the cop she had dementia? How was he to know? Or, was he told and it was edited from the video? We really don't know the whole story but it should NEVER have happened and even tho' the cop might not have known she had dementia, he should never have taken the shot as she wasn't threatening at all. It would have been different if she had "charged" him with the knives but she didn't - she just stood there. Shameful.
"The video also shows two family members telling the officer that Baca was mentally ill and experienced a form of dementia."

From the linked articles.

I mean, if you aren't going to bother to read into what's being discussed, then why comment?

The woman spoke Spanish AND was told she experienced dementia.

So the cop knew.

Stop making excuses.

38 fucking seconds and this cop executes her.

You are partly right. The authorities should have sent a social worker, not a cop. However they did send a cop, and he followed his training. So no bad shit for him for being sent to do a job he was poorly trained for. Dealing with people in an altered state in the field is not like having them in a hospital setting.
I had to deal with 1 so far. One of my neighbours that I don't know totally lost it, and when we arrived she was curled up on the porch howling. Very freaky, and I freely admit we are no where near trained to deal with these situations. Not sure how it happened but I got to be lead on this. THere was nothing around her, making the scene safe, but she was very agitated but didn't appear violent. Gave her a blanket which she dove under and kept howling. I must have talked to her for 20 minutes with little response before the cops showed up. Ambulance showed up about the same time. They were not much help. Anyway eventually she snapped out of it. When she came out of it was much like a person coming out of a diabetic coma. I would really like to not have to repeat it.

Situations like this are why "Defund the police" is a thing.

His training was NOT followed at all, either, you can't use that excuse, unless you're admitting that cops are trained to shoot anyone/everyone and not 'protect' first.

You're right, it's not the same, which is WHY there should be trained people to go deal with these situations.

At least you're being a great advocate for defunding the cops and seeing the money put to real use where it should be.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
"The video also shows two family members telling the officer that Baca was mentally ill and experienced a form of dementia."

From the linked articles.

I mean, if you aren't going to bother to read into what's being discussed, then why comment?

The woman spoke Spanish AND was told she experienced dementia.

So the cop knew.

Stop making excuses.

38 fucking seconds and this cop executes her.

Situations like this are why "Defund the police" is a thing.

His training was NOT followed at all, either, you can't use that excuse, unless you're admitting that cops are trained to shoot anyone/everyone and not 'protect' first.

You're right, it's not the same, which is WHY there should be trained people to go deal with these situations.

At least you're being a great advocate for defunding the cops and seeing the money put to real use where it should be.//
I am not in the least an advocate for letting criminals run amok. We need a much stronger police presence as well as a few social workers.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Who on earth thought this was a good idea? Twitter/Roy Wood Jr.
Who on earth thought this was a good idea? Twitter/Roy Wood Jr.
WALMART APOLOGIZES FOR ICE CREAM ERROR

Walmart had to apologize after a backlash over an ice cream flavour intended to celebrate Juneteenth.

Walmart wanted to roll out the flavour — a swirled red velvet and cheesecake — sold under its Great Value brand, to celebrate the June 20 holiday in the U.S., but reaction was not pretty.

The packaging showed an image of two Black hands with the Pan-African colours of yellow, green, red, and black as the background and had the message: “Share and celebrate African-American culture, emancipation and enduring hope.”

Walmart swiftly removed the ice cream from its shelves and issued a statement to FOX saying: “We received feedback that a few items caused concern for some of our customers and we sincerely apologize. We are reviewing our assortment and will remove items as appropriate.”

Juneteenth marks the official end of slavery for Black Americans at the end of the Civil War on June 19, 1865.
1653891377210.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
California should pay reparations to African Americans, task force says
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Kanishka Singh
Publishing date:Jun 01, 2022 • 10 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

A California task force released a 500-page report detailing the state’s role in perpetuating historic discrimination against African Americans, while recommending an official government apology and making a case for financial restitution.

The document made public on Wednesday explained the harms suffered by descendants of enslaved people long after slavery was abolished in the 19th century, citing discriminatory laws and practices in housing, education, employment and the legal system.

“From colonial times forward, governments at all levels adopted and enshrined white supremacy beliefs and passed laws in order to maintain slavery, a system of dehumanization and exploitation that stole the life, labor, liberty, and intellect of people of African descent,” the task force said in a report to the California legislature.

The task force was formed by California in 2020 to research and develop reparation proposals for African Americans, making it the first U.S. state to engage in such a study. Individual cities and educational institutions have previously taken up the cause.

“This system of white supremacy is a persistent badge of slavery that continues to be embedded today in numerous American and Californian legal, economic, and social and political systems,” the report said.

“These effects of slavery continue to be embedded in American society today and have never been sufficiently remedied. The governments of the United States and the State of California have never apologized to or compensated African Americans for these harms.”

The task force will release a further comprehensive reparations plan next year. California is home to the fifth-largest Black population in the United States.

The report also made initial recommendations within the prison system, saying that incarcerated people should not be forced to work while in prison and if they do, they must be paid fair market wages.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dad who raped, tortured and murdered teen daughter sentenced to die
“This was truly an especially heinous, atrocious and cruel killing of an innocent child,” the Union County District Attorney’s Office said.

Author of the article:Brad Hunter
Publishing date:Jun 06, 2022 • 21 hours ago • 2 minute read • 16 Comments
Joshua Lee Burgess has been sentenced to death for the sex murder of his daughter.
Joshua Lee Burgess has been sentenced to death for the sex murder of his daughter. PHOTO BY HANDOUT /UNION COUNTY PROSECUTORS
Joshua Lee Burgess will pay the ultimate price for his sickening crimes.

The 35-year-old North Carolina man was sentenced to die for the horrific rape, torture and murder of his 15-year-old daughter, Zaria, in 2019, the Union County District Attorney’s Office said.

Besides the murder, Burgess was convicted of a slew of other charges in connection to his daughter’s death. Prosecutors said that on Aug. 18, 2019, for 22 harrowing hours, the killer psychologically and sexually tortured the girl at his Monroe, N.C. home.

“This was truly an especially heinous, atrocious and cruel killing of an innocent child,” the Union County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement. “This case was emotionally taxing for everyone involved. We continue to grieve with and pray for Zaria’s mother.”

Zaria had been living with her biological mother but was on a weekend visitation with her father on the day of the murder, WBTV reported.

Murder victim Zaria Burgess. FACEBOOK
Murder victim Zaria Burgess. FACEBOOK
Later that day, Burgess entered a local police station and confessed to cops the horrific acts he had committed. He told detectives they would find the girl’s body in his home.

Even hardened detectives were stunned by the depravity of the crime.

“It’s just evil,” Union County Sheriff Tony Underwood said. “I mean murder is murder, but to kill your own flesh and blood like this, there’s just no way to explain it other than it’s just an evil crime.”

Burgess was convicted of one count of first-degree murder, one count of statutory rape, three counts of statutory sex offenc,e and one count of first-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

In addition, the jury hammered Burgess with another 76 years in prison for the other charges after just three hours of deliberation.

Besides getting top marks as a sophomore at Monroe High School, Zaria was also on the dance team and in the marching band. One teacher said the teen was “full of energy.”

Officially the “motive is unclear” for the murder, though some police sources have said the killer was a white supremacist. His daughter was biracial.

bhunter@postmedia.com

@HunterTOSun
1654605873101.png1654605978614.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man drowns as Arizona police watch: 'I'm not jumping in after you'
Three Tempe police officers have been put on "non-disciplinary paid administrative leave"

Author of the article:Washington Post
Washington Post
Julian Mark
Publishing date:Jun 06, 2022 • 20 hours ago • 4 minute read • 55 Comments
Police body camera video from May 28, shows 34-year-old Sean Bickings enter a reservoir in Tempe, Ariz., as officers warned him against it. (Video: City of Tempe)
Police body camera video from May 28, shows 34-year-old Sean Bickings enter a reservoir in Tempe, Ariz., as officers warned him against it. (Video: City of Tempe)
Sean Bickings pleaded for help as he struggled to stay afloat in a reservoir in Tempe, Ariz., late last month. But Tempe police officers watched without intervening as Bickings went underwater and did not come back up, according to city officials and a transcript of body-camera footage.

Scientists discover how caffeine protects against cardiovascular disease

Trackerdslogo
“I’m going to drown. I’m going to drown,” said Bickings, 34, according to a transcript of video from the May 28 incident released by city officials.

“OK, I’m not jumping in after you,” an officer, identified as Officer 1 in the transcript, said moments later, after directing Bickings to grab onto a bridge.

“Please help me,” Bickings said. “Please, please, please.”

Soon after, Bickings drowned, according to a Friday news release by city officials.

Now, three Tempe police officers have been put on “non-disciplinary paid administrative leave” as the Arizona Department of Public Safety and the Scottsdale Police Department investigate the officers’ response at the city of Tempe’s request, city officials said. The city has not released the names of the officers.

In a statement, Police Chief Jeff Glover and City Manager Andrew Ching called Bickings’s death a “tragedy.” Glover met with Bickings’s mother last week, according to officials.

The Tempe Officers Association, the city’s police union, did not immediately respond to a request for comment late Sunday.

Just after 5 a.m. on May 28, Tempe police officers responded to an apparent disturbance between Bickings and a woman at the Tempe Center for the Arts, which sits on a promenade along the Tempe Town Lake, a reservoir in the city. In its statement, the city referred to Bickings as “unsheltered.”

Body-camera footage released by the city shows officers approach and speak to a woman who identified herself as Bickings’s wife. As she picked up her belongings off the ground, she explained that she and Bickings sometimes have disagreements but said that he did not physically harm her.

Two of the officers then walked over to Bickings, who was seated on a bench facing the water, according to the body-camera footage. By this point, the officers were running the couple’s names for outstanding warrants, a standard procedure, according to the city. The police later said Bickings had three outstanding warrants, the Arizona Republic reported.

But those did not come up during Bickings’s encounter with police, according to the body-camera footage, which shows the officers trying to make small talk with Bickings as they ran the check.

That’s when Bickings slowly climbed over a short fence dividing the boardwalk and the water. When one of the officers asked what Bickings was doing, Bickings replied that he was going “for a swim.”

“I’m free to go, right?” Bickings asked.

The officers said he was not allowed to swim in the lake, but Bickings waded in and started swimming a freestyle stroke toward a bridge, according to the body-camera footage.

“How far do you think he’s going to be able to swim?” one of the officers asked, according to the footage.

Two of the officers then walked onto the bridge Bickings had swum under and watched him, according to the body-camera footage, which at that point ends “due to the sensitive nature of the remaining portion of the recording,” officials wrote at the end of the video.

Instead, the city provided a transcript of the remaining portion, which indicates that Bickings became increasingly distressed as he remained in the water. Bickings told the officers he was going to “drown,” according to the transcript.

“No, you’re not,” an officer, identified as Officer 2, replied.

Officer 1 then directed Bickings to “go to the pylon and hold on.”

“I’m drowning,” Bickings said.

“Come back over to the pylon,” Officer 2 said.

“I can’t,” Bickings said. “I can’t.”

“OK, I’m not jumping in after you,” Officer 1 said.

Bickings then begged for help and said moments later, “I can’t touch. Oh God. Please help me. Help me.”

Bickings’s partner then joined the officers and begged them to help Bickings, according to the transcript. The officers told her to persuade Bickings to swim toward the bridge pylon. She tried and became increasingly upset. At one point, according to the transcript, Bickings’s partner tried to jump over the railing to help Bickings but did not end up doing so.

“I’m just distraught because he’s drowning right in front of you and you won’t help,” Bickings’s partner said.

The officers continued to tell her to calm down, saying a third officer was getting a boat.

“No, no, no. Swim,” the woman replied, using an expletive.

“You’re not helping,” Officer 2 said.

Moments later, Officer 1 said that Bickings “went underneath and hasn’t come up since about 30 seconds ago.”

For the remainder of the transcript, the officers did not address Bickings. Bickings’s partner continued to tell the officers that she loved Bickings.

“He’s everything I got,” she said. “I can’t lose him, he’s going to die.”

Officials said Bickings swam no more than 40 yards before he became distressed and “soon went under and did not resurface.”

The Arizona Republic reported that a team with Tempe Fire Medical Rescue pulled Bickings’s body out of the water just before 11:30 a.m.
1654607398175.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Judge gives former Tesla worker deadline to accept $15 million payout over racism
Reuters
Jonathan Stempel
Publishing date:Jun 07, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

A federal judge on Tuesday gave a Black former elevator operator at Tesla two weeks to decide whether to accept $15 million in damages over racial abuse at the electric car company, far below the $137 million a jury had awarded.

U.S. District Judge William Orrick in San Francisco said Owen Diaz identified no controlling question of law to justify an immediate appeal of the reduced award, which includes $1.5 million of compensatory damages and $13.5 million of punitive damages.

Diaz alleged that his colleagues and a supervisor subjected him to a hostile work environment that included slurs, caricatures and swastikas in his nine months working at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California in 2015 and 2016.

A jury had awarded Diaz $6.9 million of compensatory damages and $130 million of punitive damages last October.

Orrick reduced both on April 13, while rejecting Tesla’s bid for a new trial.

In Tuesday’s order, Orrick said he was “firmly convinced” that the jury award was excessive, and that allowing a quick appeal “would further delay resolution of a case that is already five years old.”

Lawyers for Diaz did not immediately respond to requests for comment. They had said a question of law concerning damages for emotional distress justified an immediate appeal.

Under U.S. Supreme Court precedent, punitive damages typically should be less than 10 times compensatory damages.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s son Archie ‘targeted by white supremacists for being mixed-race’
Author of the article:Bang Showbiz
Bang Showbiz
Publishing date:Jun 08, 2022 • 1 day ago • 2 minute read • 15 Comments

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s son Archie was targeted by white supremacists “for being mixed race”, a court has been told.

Christopher Gibbons, 38, is accused of describing the three-year-old boy – who was born Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor – as an “abomination that should be put down” in an online “terror” podcast.

In that podcast, Gibbons and fellow host Tyrone Patten-Walsh, 34, also called for Prince Harry, 37, to be prosecuted and “judicially killed for treason” for being married to 40-year-old Meghan, whose mother Doria Ragland is African-American, while her father, Thomas Markle, is Caucasian.

The pair are said to have despised mixed-race relationships and used the couple’s marriage as an example on their ‘Black Wolf Radio’ show.

Gibbons, from Carshalton, South London, and Patten-Walsh, of Romford in East London, deny encouraging acts of extreme right-wing terrorism through their podcast for almost a year between March 3, 2019 and February 9, 2020.

Gibbons denies a further accusation of spreading terrorist publications by uploading videos to an online hoard titled ‘The Radicalisation Library’ from April 2018 to February 2020.

Prosecutor Anne Whyte QC told Kingston Crown Court both the accused are “dedicated and unapologetic white supremacists” who hold “extreme right-wing views”.

She said: “They thought that if they used the format of a radio show, as good as in plain sight, they could pass off their venture as the legitimate exercise of their freedom of speech.

“In fact what they were doing was using language designed to encourage others to commit acts of extreme right-wing terrorism against the sections of society that these defendants hated.”

Gibbons and Patten-Walsh allegedly approved of the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox, 41, in 2016 by a far-right thug – as well as Brenton Tarrant’s 2019 shooting spree at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, which left 51 victims dead during Friday prayers.

They also referred to victims of the 2017 Manchester Arena suicide bombing that claimed the lives of 22 people as “s—-“, a jury heard.

Patten-Walsh allegedly also called the perpetrator of the attack “a sand n—–“.

The accused also allegedly made anti-Semitic remarks and painted black and Asian men as rapists in their podcast.

Their trial continues.

The vile revelations from the court case come after

It comes after Harry and Meghan – formerly known as Meghan Markle when she worked as an actress before she married into the British Royal Family – celebrated daughter Lilibet’s first birthday on Saturday during Queen Elizabeth’s long weekend of Platinum Jubilee events.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
White Michigan policeman charged with murdering African immigrant after traffic stop
Reuters
Steve Gorman and Brendan O'Brien
Publishing date:Jun 09, 2022 • 17 hours ago • 2 minute read • 16 Comments
A Grand Rapids Police officer grasps the shirt of Patrick Lyoya during a traffic stop, shortly before Lyoya was shot dead by the officer during a scuffle on a suburban front lawn in Grand Rapids, Michigan, April 4, 2022 in a still image from police body camera video.
A Grand Rapids Police officer grasps the shirt of Patrick Lyoya during a traffic stop, shortly before Lyoya was shot dead by the officer during a scuffle on a suburban front lawn in Grand Rapids, Michigan, April 4, 2022 in a still image from police body camera video. PHOTO BY GRAND RAPIDS POLICE /Handout via REUTERS
A white police officer was charged with second-degree murder on Thursday for the fatal shooting of a Black man during an altercation after a traffic stop two months ago in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in a case that sparked racial justice protests in the city.

The criminal case against officer Christopher Schurr in the April 4 killing of Patrick Lyoya, a 26-year-old refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo, came just over seven weeks after an independent autopsy found Lyoya was shot in the back of the head at point-blank range.

Announcing the charge at a news conference, the chief prosecuting attorney for Kent County, Christopher Becker, said Schurr had turned himself in to authorities and would be arraigned in court in Grand Rapids on Friday.

Becker said he provided Lyoya’s family members a letter of explanation translated into their native language of Swahili.

The killing outraged Lyoya’s loved ones and touched off protests by activists who condemned the shooting as an example of unjustified deadly force by police against young Black men.

A forensic pathologist who performed an independent autopsy on Lyoya concluded the officer had held his gun to the back of Lyoya’s head and fired once, evidence that the family’s attorney, Ben Crump, said bolstered their view that Lyoya was the victim of “an execution.”

A charge of second-degree murder, defined as an intentional, unjustified killing, carries a maximum sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole in Michigan, Becker said. Additional factors necessary to prove a case of first-degree murder, premeditation and deliberation, “just weren’t there,” he told reporters.

If the case goes to trial, jurors would likely be permitted to also consider the “lesser included charge” of manslaughter, which Becker described as essentially same as second-degree murder but mitigated by actions taken in “the heat of passion.”

Becker said he hoped the message taken from his decision to prosecute Schurr would be “that we take this case seriously.”

The prosecutor said he arrived at his decision after reviewing a state police report on the incident, as well as evidence that included video footage taken from the dashboard of Schurr’s squad car, from his body-worn camera and from a neighbor’s surveillance camera.

The videos, publicly released in April, show Lyoya stepping out of the car on a rainy street, seemingly confused and asking “What did I do?” as the policeman repeatedly asks for a driver’s license and orders him to get back inside the vehicle.

Lyoya appears to be complying, but then closes the driver’s side door and attempts to walk away, resisting the officer’s attempts to handcuff him.

Following a short foot chase, the two men grapple on a lawn, at one point appearing to struggle over the officer’s stun gun, before Lyoya is shot.

The incident began after the officer stopped Lyoya over suspicions involving his license plate.
1654875363514.png