Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

Dixie Cup

House Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ya, there was a similar pilot program like it in Edmonton as well where mental health professionals are supposed to go with the police on domestic calls and calls for disruptive individuals who are exhibiting mental health distress.

Don't know if it's still going on as I haven't heard anything recently about the program. Maybe someone else here knows more.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ditto, but I HAVE engaged with people with Dementia.

There IS a difference.

I pity your family that you approve of murdering those who minds have changed due to age.
I said no such thing. Another figment of your overactive imagination. What I do approve of is first responders ensuring the scene is safe for both them and any bystanders. Letting a deranged person run lose with two knives does not fit that description.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Senate Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I said no such thing. Another figment of your overactive imagination. What I do approve of is first responders ensuring the scene is safe for both them and any bystanders. Letting a deranged person run lose with two knives does not fit that description.

You absolutely implied it. Continually calling a dementia patient "deranged" is openly being ignorant of the fact the two are NOT the same states of mind.

If you approve of first responders securing the scene, then you should be as pissed that a trigger happy cop who had NO training to deal with dementia patients murdered this lady. What SHOULD have happened is someone trained to DEAL with dementia patients be sent to the scene to talk the woman down into giving the knives up.

But since you're all for cops shooting the elderly with dementia, again, I feel bad for your family.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Dixie Cup

House Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
You absolutely implied it. Continually calling a dementia patient "deranged" is openly being ignorant of the fact the two are NOT the same states of mind.

If you approve of first responders securing the scene, then you should be as pissed that a trigger happy cop who had NO training to deal with dementia patients murdered this lady. What SHOULD have happened is someone trained to DEAL with dementia patients be sent to the scene to talk the woman down into giving the knives up.

But since you're all for cops shooting the elderly with dementia, again, I feel bad for your family.
My question still is though - why did no one tell the cop she had dementia? How was he to know? Or, was he told and it was edited from the video? We really don't know the whole story but it should NEVER have happened and even tho' the cop might not have known she had dementia, he should never have taken the shot as she wasn't threatening at all. It would have been different if she had "charged" him with the knives but she didn't - she just stood there. Shameful.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You are partly right. The authorities should have sent a social worker, not a cop. However they did send a cop, and he followed his training. So no bad shit for him for being sent to do a job he was poorly trained for. Dealing with people in an altered state in the field is not like having them in a hospital setting.
I had to deal with 1 so far. One of my neighbours that I don't know totally lost it, and when we arrived she was curled up on the porch howling. Very freaky, and I freely admit we are no where near trained to deal with these situations. Not sure how it happened but I got to be lead on this. THere was nothing around her, making the scene safe, but she was very agitated but didn't appear violent. Gave her a blanket which she dove under and kept howling. I must have talked to her for 20 minutes with little response before the cops showed up. Ambulance showed up about the same time. They were not much help. Anyway eventually she snapped out of it. When she came out of it was much like a person coming out of a diabetic coma. I would really like to not have to repeat it.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Senate Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My question still is though - why did no one tell the cop she had dementia? How was he to know? Or, was he told and it was edited from the video? We really don't know the whole story but it should NEVER have happened and even tho' the cop might not have known she had dementia, he should never have taken the shot as she wasn't threatening at all. It would have been different if she had "charged" him with the knives but she didn't - she just stood there. Shameful.
"The video also shows two family members telling the officer that Baca was mentally ill and experienced a form of dementia."

From the linked articles.

I mean, if you aren't going to bother to read into what's being discussed, then why comment?

The woman spoke Spanish AND was told she experienced dementia.

So the cop knew.

Stop making excuses.

38 fucking seconds and this cop executes her.

You are partly right. The authorities should have sent a social worker, not a cop. However they did send a cop, and he followed his training. So no bad shit for him for being sent to do a job he was poorly trained for. Dealing with people in an altered state in the field is not like having them in a hospital setting.
I had to deal with 1 so far. One of my neighbours that I don't know totally lost it, and when we arrived she was curled up on the porch howling. Very freaky, and I freely admit we are no where near trained to deal with these situations. Not sure how it happened but I got to be lead on this. THere was nothing around her, making the scene safe, but she was very agitated but didn't appear violent. Gave her a blanket which she dove under and kept howling. I must have talked to her for 20 minutes with little response before the cops showed up. Ambulance showed up about the same time. They were not much help. Anyway eventually she snapped out of it. When she came out of it was much like a person coming out of a diabetic coma. I would really like to not have to repeat it.

Situations like this are why "Defund the police" is a thing.

His training was NOT followed at all, either, you can't use that excuse, unless you're admitting that cops are trained to shoot anyone/everyone and not 'protect' first.

You're right, it's not the same, which is WHY there should be trained people to go deal with these situations.

At least you're being a great advocate for defunding the cops and seeing the money put to real use where it should be.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
"The video also shows two family members telling the officer that Baca was mentally ill and experienced a form of dementia."

From the linked articles.

I mean, if you aren't going to bother to read into what's being discussed, then why comment?

The woman spoke Spanish AND was told she experienced dementia.

So the cop knew.

Stop making excuses.

38 fucking seconds and this cop executes her.

Situations like this are why "Defund the police" is a thing.

His training was NOT followed at all, either, you can't use that excuse, unless you're admitting that cops are trained to shoot anyone/everyone and not 'protect' first.

You're right, it's not the same, which is WHY there should be trained people to go deal with these situations.

At least you're being a great advocate for defunding the cops and seeing the money put to real use where it should be.//
I am not in the least an advocate for letting criminals run amok. We need a much stronger police presence as well as a few social workers.