Apple's Tim Cook blasts order to unlock iPhone, vowing to fight court order

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Apples & oranges. Not even close with your strawman.

Is your opposition to torture fundamental & time sensitive
to preventing any future preventable terrorist actions? You
are not even barking up the wrong tree, but the wrong forest
in the wrong postal code.

Strawman, eh. Well, your opinion.

It's a matter of why you have drawn the line. How much you are willing to give up.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Strawman, eh. Well, your opinion.

It's a matter of why you have drawn the line. How much you are willing to give up.

With respect to what? I've recently walked away from
$2000net/month to a smaller pay cheque to have an
improved home life...I'll adapt and be happy.

I know this might not seem to have anything to do with
Apple & Tim Cook to you, but to me it seems about as
relevant as your stance on torture or my girlfriends love
of gardening with respect to Apple & Tim Cook.

Maybe I'm reading your stance incorrectly and just am
not seeing the correlation between your statement and
the O.P., but I'm not seeing it. Apples & oranges.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Apple's Tim Cook blasts order to unlock iPhone, vowing to fight court order

Apple Inc. chief executive Tim Cook says his company will fight an order to open a user's iPhone, saying to do otherwise would create a backdoor that could potentially be used on other future devices.

Apple's Tim Cook blasts order to unlock iPhone, vowing to fight court order - Business - CBC News

So let me get this straight. Cook says that if Apple works with the FBI on cracking the phone, Apple couldn't keep the way they do so secret?

Is that supposed to reassure Apple customers?

What they are saying that if they remove their security measures, that that "unsecure" code may wind up in the wrong hands and be used on any phone. Also from my understanding, the FBI is using a statute from 1789 to ask for this. I am not sure how the founding fathers in 1789 has full knowledge of smart phones to truly understand the magnitude of the laws they were writing. I also think it is fundamentally wrong for the American government to force a company to 'break' its own security even if the cause is good.

https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Welcome to Canada...

They already can search your phone. No warrant required.

Supreme Court allows warrantless cell phone searches

US, different story, they need a warrant.

How the Supreme Court's Cellphone Decision Affects You

Only if phone is not passcode protected. If its passcode protected, they need a warrant.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
My line in the sand is torture. No torture for any reason. So, if it is found that torture could have given info that prevented deaths and because of my opposition to torture, then I am, at least partially, responsible for those deaths then I am culpable for those deaths.

Do you support torture, Ron?

Oh, and what apple is being asked to do, is break their privacy encryption and give that break to law enforcement. PRIVACY being the key word here.

So we assume that you get to decide what torture is. You are totally against torture, even though you call people names continually and the language on your avatar is telling as well. Do you suffer because your brain is miswired gerry? Is that torture?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
How many people does it require to unlock an iPhone? 1? 10? 100? 1000?
Well it's bean a week and we haven't singularized you yet, but past a predetermined number if we remain unsatisfied we would simply eradicate your xcoordinates, please call central intelligemces -800-orelse.

Last edited by a moderator:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Only if phone is not passcode protected. If its passcode protected, they need a warrant.

Nope. Read Fearon v. R.
The ruling also dispels any notion that a password lock on a cell phone may denote some expectation of privacy that would prevent an invasion by law enforcement.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nope. Read Fearon v. R.
The ruling also dispels any notion that a password lock on a cell phone may denote some expectation of privacy that would prevent an invasion by law enforcement.

Lol, no, that's not what it says, and the decision was a 4/3 split.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What they are saying that if they remove their security measures, that that "unsecure" code may wind up in the wrong hands and be used on any phone. Also from my understanding, the FBI is using a statute from 1789 to ask for this. I am not sure how the founding fathers in 1789 has full knowledge of smart phones to truly understand the magnitude of the laws they were writing. I also think it is fundamentally wrong for the American government to force a company to 'break' its own security even if the cause is good.

https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

I understand that they have a warrant...
You have an IPhone, probably a newer model than mine:lol: so you know that you have only ten tries at the passcode then the the phone is wiped, and if your phone is stolen you can wipe it remotely from any PC or phone, by loggin in to https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8
Apple could probably write a software update for one particular phone to disable that feature but they would need the passcode to update it.....catch 22

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Nope. Read Fearon v. R.

I have heard otherwise. But even if this was the case, it is unclear how they would get access to the phones data without the passcode.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
To prove that the information retrieved is valid, wouldn't they have to inform the court as to how it was done?
Doesn't have to be made public. Lots of testimony is kept secret.

Yup, they can. The comparison would be the owner of this phone, which is the city, I believe.
It is, and they can, as I'm sure they have, give permission to the authorities.

What they are saying that if they remove their security measures, that that "unsecure" code may wind up in the wrong hands and be used on any phone.
Hypothetical that goes against the interest of the state and public safety. That can also be mitigated by taking the measures with security. This is all quite easily negotiable.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm sure that all this stalling by apple is a tactic to placate their customer base, that they have great concern for their security,
In the end they will unlock the phone....
Then again.....what if they have already unlocked it, and this whole thing is a ploy to give other terrorists a false sense of security?
I'm devious that way ....:lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Then again.....what if they have already unlocked it, and this whole thing is a ploy to give other terrorists a false sense of security?
I'm devious that way ....:lol:
A local cop and I were discussing that very thing last night.

Giving them a false sense of security and allowing the authorities to catch up to them.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Um, maybe I'm being naïve, but isn't there another way? I get that governments aren't always trust worthy (surprize) and I get that Apple wants to keep their phone secure.

Why doesn't the FBI give the phone to Apple and have them crack the code for that specific phone - then give the FBI the information. If there are any leaks as to how the information is accessed, we'll know exactly who to go to right? Apple can then say that their information is still secure and government has no idea of how the information is accessed. It's a win win -

What dy'a think?

JMO

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Um, maybe I'm being naïve, but isn't there another way? I get that governments aren't always trust worthy (surprize) and I get that Apple wants to keep their phone secure.

Why doesn't the FBI give the phone to Apple and have them crack the code for that specific phone - then give the FBI the information. If there are any leaks as to how the information is accessed, we'll know exactly who to go to right? Apple can then say that their information is still secure and government has no idea of how the information is accessed. It's a win win -

What dy'a think?

JMO

It would work except the information obtained would be useless in a court of law. The whole chain of custody would be in question.