Analysts: More Libyan bloodshed could prompt U.S., NATO intervention

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Ask the French I only posted the article but I see how your hypocrisy shines through because you had nothing to say about the French calling for air strikes. :rolleyes:

Well the French listen to bankers, the same bankers buy and sell mercs so it's clear to me that Libya will be liberated from the Libyans. The oil and water and other valuable infrastructure will be saved where ever possible and the remaining Libyans can participate in rebuilding a free and democratic nation just like Iraq has done.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jamming Libyan radar and telecomm is already a military action against Libya. I've heard some pretty slick double speak being used to hide such Western military actions already underway.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Since so many people on this forum are so gung ho about another possible war in Libya, how about one in Ivory Coast as well? 70,000 people have fled that country because of its many political difficulties. Is Colpy or anyone else going to enlist in order to fight there for that country's freedom?

I have offered to raise money to fund his expedition into some conflict zone where he could expose his huge balls to the bad guys instead of just telling the same old story about testicles and gonads every time he reads about guns going off.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Gosh! Could we move any slower you guys! Let's go!

Libya rebels appeal for air strikes against Gaddafi

A few weeks ago the Libyan Rebels wanted everyone to butt out...

Last week they wanted everyone to butt out except for supplies and a no fly zone...

Now they want airstrikes.

I knew this was going to be harder than they thought.

Quote from Rebel Leader...

"If you don't want to do something, you rely on the diplomatic side. It is not enough when people are dying," said Iman Bugaighis, spokeswoman for the revolutionary council. "We need more than diplomacy. We need a no-fly zone but we need more than that. We need air strikes. I think they know where to bomb if they want to bomb. They know how to intervene. It's urgent."

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The massacre in Zawiya
Alex Crawford of Sky News gives a behind-the-scenes account of how she was able to report from Zawiya, Libya. A follow-up to my previous post, The Battle for Zawiya.

The massacre in Zawiya | Video Cafe

The issue of whether to intervene in Libya is not a Right, Left or Neo con issue as some like to label it it's more, it's the Libyan people trying to end the reign of a brutal dictator who need help but sadly the United States and NATO blew the only real chance they had because now it's a civil war.

Those in the Middle East who are thinking of rising up to change their Country's future now look at the inaction of the United States and NATO and are possibly having second thoughts.

The French didn't support the Iraq War because of their secret deals with Saddam, but at least their President had the balls to stand up to say what needed to be said unlike Obama who doesn't have a pair..

Spoken like a liberal.

Guys like you crack me up.

Won't do a thing for your own people but are so willing to spend money and lives on a foreign problem.:roll:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
So how many here are going to fight in Ivory Coast in order to end all the troubles there? Colpy - be sure to send us a picture postcard so that we can learn of your heroics!

;)

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Spoken like a liberal.

Guys like you crack me up.

Won't do a thing for your own people but are so willing to spend money and lives on a foreign problem.:roll:
Sure I'll do anything for my own people but at the same time to ignore the on going slaughter in Libya is wrong..

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Sure I'll do anything for my own people but at the same time to ignore the on going slaughter in Libya is wrong..

It's not my problem what goes on over there.

I'm glad my government didn't make it our problem.

We saved tax dollars and Canadian resources.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
It's not my problem what goes on over there.

I'm glad my government didn't make it our problem.

We saved tax dollars and Canadian resources.
That way of thinking ' it's not my problem what goes on over there' almost lost Britain, France and the rest of Europe to Hitler had Canada and the United States not stepped in..

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Of course it is, if a Libyan who lives in Canada asks you why you don't want to help their country what are you going to tell him/her?
I would tell them to fk off and go and help their own country because they have done nothing for Canada while we gave them an organized country with a lot of opportunity.
I would also tell them Lybia is a Muslim country and Muslims have never helped western countries. I would tell them Muslims dont want to help them, why should anybody else et. Etc.
Finally I would tell them,,,, it's not my problem !!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Are Libyans asking for outsides to intervene? The coverage on the radio made it sound like Libyans feel they will soon have their revolution, if not in hours, in the coming days. Jumping in when help isn't being asked for sounds like a bad idea to me.

Well, at first the Libyan revolutionaries were very adamant to western reporters how they did *not* want foreign involvement... that it was an issue between them and Ghadafi.

Within a few days they were telling reporters that, well, maybe they'd be okay about the west knocking out Ghadafi's airports and aircraft hangers etc. in order to implement a "no fly zone", but that it should be done from the air such that no western element of force actually touches Libyan soil, other than the bombs.

Their position was that if the playing field could be leveled, such that it was a fair man-to-man fight, then rebels would have no problem achieving victory.

Ghadafi's counter-attack, mostly facilitated from the air, was so fierce that the rebel call for a no-fly-zone quickly accelerated into a lament about how once again the west was siding with the tyrants and ignoring the plight of the people. After all, the west could have flown in the first day, knocked out Ghadafi's air-force, flown off, and left the fight to the rebels. What's so complicated about that?

What's complicated about it is that western analysts knew/know *nothing* about how the rebels might organize should they achieve victory. Ghadafi's a jackal, but at least he's the jackal they know. How was the west to know the rebels wouldn't set up Libya as a haven for Taliban and Al Quieda? (Which flys in the face of Dubya's decision to take out Saddam when Saddam was the devil they knew - heck, they'd set him up in the first place - able to maintain heavy-handed order in Iraq, such that removal of Saddam just lead to disorderly Iraq, but Dubya's not in charge anymore.)

So, the west went to the Arab League and asked, "What would you say if we were to take out Ghadafi's air-power?", and the Arab League said, "Sure, go ahead".

That answer wasn't satisfying enough, because the Arab League had nothing to say about whether or not they cared if Libya became a haven for Taliban and/or Al Quieda.

So... western analysts are scrambling around trying to find out as much as they can about the rebels, in order to determine who's likely to end up in charge, and whether or not they're going to be pills.

If their analysis takes to long - if they can't get enough info about the rebels to feel comfortable taking action - oh well, its back to the devil they know, just keep the oil flowing.

If their analysis shows that the rebels would set up a Taliban/Al-Quieda state, they'll leave things alone and let Ghadafi reclaim control.

But if their analysis shows that the rebels pose no threat to western civilization nor to the flow of oil, then heck, there is so much capacity around the Mediterranean to take out Ghadafi's airforce that it would be like a thirty minute cake-walk done and done and back in time for breakfast.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Great, Libya starts winning, we supply air cover they shoot ground to air missiles and maybe one or more of ours (NATO/UN) gets killed and this time it will be the lefts fault. The right for the most part want to watch this one.

Can't wait to see what sort of news you make up out of thin air next.