Multiple dead after shooting at Quebec City mosque

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What is the source of that information? Where did you read it or, more importantly, who reported it in the first place?

Does that actually matter anymore? People are reporting on what someone said on twitter somewhere. Nobody reports facts just opinions.

The question you are asking is did a media outlet that shares my bias and filters produce this piece of information so I can accept it as fact?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Does that actually matter anymore? People are reporting on what someone said on twitter somewhere. Nobody reports facts just opinions.

The question you are asking is did a media outlet that shares my bias and filters produce this piece of information so I can accept it as fact?

Cbc said in the original article that an anonymous source said there were two shooters... Not everybody reads twitter

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Quebec and Canada have an Islamophobia problem

What was it like growing up in Quebec?

It’s a question I get often. My boilerplate response generally consists of admitting that while language issues did often come up for me growing up in a predominantly French-speaking town about an hour east of Montreal, racism was never really a factor.

However, I am always quick to point out that as an Indo-Canadian who spoke the right kind of French, I was raised in a Hindu household. So although I faced no racism, I am under no illusions that had my family been practicing Muslims I would have had a very different experience growing up in rural Quebec.

In the aftermath of the devastating attack on a mosque in Quebec City that has left six men dead and 19 injured, many are left wondering whether Quebec is in fact a distinct society when it comes to Islamophobia.

While there is ample evidence to suggest that Quebeckers are no more racist than their English Canadian counterparts, the same is not true regarding a negative conception of Islam. According to a Forum Research poll conducted late last year, 48 per cent of respondents from Quebec had a negative view of Islam, compared to 28 per cent of the rest of the country.

From Jacques Parizeau uttering the phrase “money and the ethnic vote” to explain why the sovereignty referendum was defeated in 1995 to the heated debate that engulfed Quebec in 2013 over “values,” Quebec’s unique brand of language and identity politics is no secret.

Once you factor in Quebec’s promotion of interculturalism to multiculturalism, along with the fact that the political class firmly believes in the French concept of laïcité, or secularism, a larger picture starts to unfold of just how easy it is for politicians to exploit anti-Muslim sentiment for political gain.

However, Canadians elsewhere should not be feeling too smug about this, as shoring up anti-Muslim sentiment is hardly relegated to Quebec. The 2015 federal election campaign featured the Conservative Party proposing a tip line for “barbaric cultural practices,” apparently unaware of the fact that people already have the ability to call the police should they suspect a monstrous crime is underway.

Similarly, the current Conservative leadership race has been a stark reminder of the fact that appealing to xenophobic voters is a legitimate strategy in trying to get votes.

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch’s chief policy proposal is that she will screen immigrants and refugees for “Canadian values” without ever explaining how she will do this or what problem this will solve. Leitch’s flirtation with courting the unabashed bigot vote is so glaring that the pediatric surgeon with 22 letters after her name could not even bring herself to utter the words Muslim or mosque in her statement on the attack.

Quebec and Canada have an Islamophobia problem | Globalnews.ca

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The government response to the fentanyl crisis is probably greater than what the response to this shooting will be.

Yeah, you get some lip service sometimes but nothing sustained to the point where much happens. No need to reply, just follow the statistics for 2017 and we'll see what happens.

You are literally prostrate, on your knees, praying and vulnerable. That is a very different state of being than cutting off the circulation in your own arm with a ligature, finding your own vein and sticking a needle full of garbage into your own vein that you "prepared" beforehand. Shooting Fentanyl is more analagous with playing Russian Roulette. Shooting unarmed people who are down on their knees praying is more analagous to shooting seven year olds in their classroom.

You are talking about the mechanics of the minutes/hours before death. With the drug deaths people are dealing with years or generations before the conclusion of the tragedy. Perhaps going back to kindergarten or grade 3, maybe dealing with the environment of the victim's entire life, but perhaps you are too simple to savvy that!