"Journalistic Integrity", the dumbing down of modern media

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
"Oxford Dictionaries has chosen "post truth" as its international word of the year. It defines the word as an adjective "relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief""

-from an article by Tabitha Southey in Saturday's Globe and Mail.

We see this literally everywhere these days, from mainstream media on down to individual social media exchanges. It seems that truth and honesty have become things of convenience to be tossed aside when they do not support the message one is trying to convey. So much so in fact, that people are willing to accept volume and drama as measures of how believable something is. We just watched a man ascend to the presidency of the United States with a campaign based on "post truth", are we doomed to a future where superficial sensationalism is the norm on the evening news ?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
How true! Emotions have taken over from facts on every issue.
However, I believe that electing Clinton would have been equally 'post truth'. Maybe more so!

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
How true! Emotions have taken over from facts on every issue.
However, I believe that electing Clinton would have been equally 'post truth'. Maybe more so!
Likely true. I didn't mean for this to be yet another Trump debate, but the US election was a good example of what can be had through fear and anger as opposed to objective reason. Both campaigned on a platform of being "not the other", with precious little offered in the way of policy.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually there is very little new about this. Traditional print media once featured dozens of different newspapers that promoted certain narrow viewpoints. Hence the existence of papers like the Völkischer Beobachter of the German Nazi party and the Daily Worker or the Communist Party. I can remember looking at the newspaper of the Social Credit Party when I was attending school in Alberta. Even as a teenager I recognized its racist anti-democratic tone. All that is happening now is that the internet and social media like Facebook have made it much easier to set up alternative news sites.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Actually there is very little new about this. Traditional print media once featured dozens of different newspapers that promoted certain narrow viewpoints. Hence the existence of papers like the Völkischer Beobachter of the German Nazi party and the Daily Worker or the Communist Party. I can remember looking at the newspaper of the Social Credit Party when I was attending school in Alberta. Even as a teenager I recognized its racist anti-democratic tone. All that is happening now is that the internet and social media like Facebook have made it much easier to set up alternative news sites.

I agree that various traditional print media had differing points of view but that certainly isn't the case now since most of the papers are owned by the same conglomerate. It was nice to read the varying view points to enable one to see "both sides" of an issue and then make a rational decision. No so anymore. This especially applies to mainstream TV - there is no such thing as unbiased reporting.

Thank goodness for the internet and the entrepreneurs who are willing to stick their necks out, like the Rebel and others who offer a different point of view. While I don't always agree with what they say, they have a right to say it and I admire the fact that they're willing to do so. I'm sure the PC people are enraged at the fact that they can't control the messages of media organizations like the Rebel. I'm sure that's why every so often you hear about how some governments want control over the internet - to stifle the messages being sent.

I am also thankful for CC as well because again, there are various opinions (would be nice if there was less personal animosity because one disagrees) but often times an opinion I read about makes me think and maybe compromise my stance on a particular subject.

JMHO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I am also thankful for CC as well because again, there are various opinions (would be nice if there was less personal animosity because one disagrees) but often times an opinion I read about makes me think and maybe compromise my stance on a particular subject.
That's silly. Everybody is sober and normal.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
think with your blood! - adolph

it's integral to how propaganda works in the brain, and with mobs
goes well with booze, and antidepressants...and TV

...and paychecks

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
This is a two-pronged issue.
Schools no longer teach students to think for themselves, but teach them what to think. When the media distorts the news or colors the news with their personal opinions, the public doesn't have the mental means to think it over and sort out for themselves what is believable and what is not.
It's part of the social engineering that has been at play for several decades.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
True. We are easier to control when we're all in one box.
They only have to control a few, such as newspapers, reporters, universities and various professors and through political correctness "Public shaming such as calling everyone that disagrees racist etc. etc" shut down opposing ideas and control the rest"
Trump getting elected was a revolution of sort..............

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
True. We are easier to control when we're all in one box.

Even easier when we are all retards in one box.

They only have to control a few, such as newspapers, reporters, universities and various professors and through political correctness "Public shaming such as calling everyone that disagrees racist etc. etc" shut down opposing ideas and control the rest"
Trump getting elected was a revolution of sort..............

It was, Basically white people said. I'm not ashamed of being white. Even if being white is sopposedly something you should be ashamed of.

If you're a man and white, you should spend the rest of your life asking everyone for forgiveness.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
"Oxford Dictionaries has chosen "post truth" as its international word of the year. It defines the word as an adjective "relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief""

-from an article by Tabitha Southey in Saturday's Globe and Mail.

We see this literally everywhere these days, from mainstream media on down to individual social media exchanges. It seems that truth and honesty have become things of convenience to be tossed aside when they do not support the message one is trying to convey. So much so in fact, that people are willing to accept volume and drama as measures of how believable something is. We just watched a man ascend to the presidency of the United States with a campaign based on "post truth", are we doomed to a future where superficial sensationalism is the norm on the evening news ?
We like to be entertained

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We like to be entertained

And there are some who would far rather be entertained than enlightened if the selection of TV programs available is any indication. I might also include what passes for 'news' these days where pages are filled with opinion pieces on everything from how to do your nails to advice on your sex life. Real news takes up but a small portion of what we are fed these days.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
This is a two-pronged issue.
Schools no longer teach students to think for themselves, but teach them what to think. When the media distorts the news or colors the news with their personal opinions, the public doesn't have the mental means to think it over and sort out for themselves what is believable and what is not.
It's part of the social engineering that has been at play for several decades.

Social engineering goes back further than several decades. WW1 was engineered. A very sucessful project. The mass of humanity obeys the engineers simply to continue sucking air. It's very expensive to employ independent navigation most "citizens" are content with cheap one size fits all sheep dip lives. Eat your thin soup, obey the trafic signs, pay your taxes, conform to community standards keep your lawn the regulated way, deviation is antisocial. School destroys individuals. Keep your children home, give them the best education. The planet dosen't need any more conditioned drones. I think I agree with your bent.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Social engineering goes back further than several decades. WW1 was engineered. A very sucessful project. The mass of humanity obeys the engineers simply to continue sucking air. It's very expensive to employ independent navigation most "citizens" are content with cheap one size fits all sheep dip lives. Eat your thin soup, obey the trafic signs, pay your taxes, conform to community standards keep your lawn the regulated way, deviation is antisocial. School destroys individuals. Keep your children home, give them the best education. The planet dosen't need any more conditioned drones. I think I agree with your bent.

I understand your bent, DB but the idea of home-schooling is impractical. And let's face it, a look around this forum would argue against the wisdom of such a plan.