BREAKING: WABC: One dead in school shooting in Newtown, CT

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Petition your MP to fund mental health treatment. Sane people are much safer around weapons than un or under-treated people with mental health issues.

Do you have to prove sanity to buy a bottle of bleach and bottle of ammonia to make mustard gas?

ANYBODY, any age, sex, race or space alien can buy those two products with no checks or balances.

They sure managed to lockdown all the OTC cold medication when people started using it to make other more dangerous drugs. I wouldn't put it past them to try a ban on anything. But it just becomes ridiculous after a while and we may as well just wrap up the world in bubble wrap.

My wife has had some issues with mis-carriages so we tried not to count any chickens until he was born. Didn't even buy baby stuff till 2-3 weeks before the date. I guess we may have used the term baby but my wife and I didn't even do the Downs tests because we had decided that for us abortion was not going to be our choice regardless.

Thank you.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
There is actually no reason for anyone to own a gun.
One of the most foolish comments I've seen yet. You don't need a car. You don't need a fridge. You don't need fishing gear.
Most of the meat we put in our freezer is wild game. It's healthier than that crap you think you need from a grocery store. And I'm not going to even try throwing rocks and sticks at predators around here to prevent them from eating our chickens, dogs, cats, fruit crops, etc.
But the USofA is certainly a great country, give everyone legal access to guns, but heaven forbid if they give them access to health care. What a bunch of idiots.
Irrelevant.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Lets see, now. A civil war over it? If you believe that you are more mentally challenged than I thought. Drugs are illegal, I don't see a civil war over that. Robbing a bank is illegal, I don't see a civil war over that.
One point that you mentioned: the guns in this case were obtained legally. Yes, but if it was illegal to own guns, those weapons wouldn't have been there for the dimwit to take and use in the first place.

Oh yeah, guns are good for one thing: they give CNN something to talk all day about...

Okay, who let you into the nurses' station at the insane asylum? Get off their computer....

Nobody sane ever recognized the right to smoke a joint as a foundation of democracy.

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

George Orwell

You do know who he was, don't you???

Nobody sane ever said "They'll get my joints when they pry them from my cold dead hands"

Quite simply, it is impossible to debate the matter with you, as you are obviously either a moron, or a lunatic, or both.

There are 4 million members of the NRA......go ahead, go to their house and tell them you are taking away their rights, and forcing them to surrender their guns.

i'll watch from here. if you don't mind.

I'm sane.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Governments should be able to prevent people with a history of violence or mental disease from acquiring firearms. But just because you have a clean record doesn't mean you should be able to possess a firearm. I agree with Colpy regarding training/education to become qualified to possess a firearm. I'd also like to see all fire arm owners required to belong to a gun club or association which is accountable for the actions of its members and has the power to strip members of their firearms for dangerous irresponsible behavior. If a member commits a crime. the gun club should be partly liable.

Gov't.s should be very limited in what they can do and certainly not things they aren't capable of. You and Risus should form a club and then you can control each other, could detract from each of your domineering natures!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Okay, who let you into the nurses' station at the insane asylum? Get off their computer....

Nobody sane ever recognized the right to smoke a joint as a foundation of democracy.

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

George Orwell

You do know who he was, don't you???

Nobody sane ever said "They'll get my joints when they pry them from my cold dead hands"

Quite simply, it is impossible to debate the matter with you, as you are obviously either a moron, or a lunatic, or both.

There are 4 million members of the NRA......go ahead, go to their house and tell them you are taking away their rights, and forcing them to surrender their guns.
And while you are at it, rhesus, you can keep my freezer full of wild game. I'll even supply the rocks and sticks for you to get the gamemeat.

i'll watch from here. if you don't mind.

I'm sane.
I'll bring the beer.

Guns are NOT the problem, rhesus. People are the problem. Keep people away from things they can use to kill and you may have a point. Until then your arguments are inane and bordering on the verge of being insane.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Pathetic:

Now at special service at St John's church in Sandy Hook. Bunch of over-zealous photographers were just asked to leave

https://twitter.com/AdamGabbatt/status/280006994516123649/photo/1

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
And while you are at it, rhesus, you can keep my freezer full of wild game. I'll even supply the rocks and sticks for you to get the gamemeat.

I'll bring the beer.

Guns are NOT the problem, rhesus. People are the problem. Keep people away from things they can use to kill and you may have a point. Until then your arguments are inane and bordering on the verge of being insane.
You don't need a high powered assault rifle to kill Bambi. Get your head out of your butt

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Why I'm for the Brady Bill

While there has been a Federal law on the books for more than 20 years that prohibits the sale of firearms to felons, fugitives, drug addicts and the mentally ill, it has no enforcement mechanism and basically works on the honor system, with the purchaser filling out a statement that the gun dealer sticks in a drawer.

The Brady bill would require the handgun dealer to provide a copy of the prospective purchaser's sworn statement to local law enforcement authorities so that background checks could be made. Based upon the evidence in states that already have handgun purchase waiting periods, this bill -- on a nationwide scale -- can't help but stop thousands of illegal handgun purchases.

And, since many handguns are acquired in the heat of passion (to settle a quarrel, for example) or at times of depression brought on by potential suicide, the Brady bill would provide a cooling-off period that would certainly have the effect of reducing the number of handgun deaths.

Critics claim that "waiting period" legislation in the states that have it doesn't work, that criminals just go to nearby states that lack such laws to buy their weapons. True enough, and all the more reason to have a Federal law that fills the gaps. While the Brady bill would not apply to states that already have waiting periods of at least seven days or that already require background checks, it would automatically cover the states that don't. The effect would be a uniform standard across the country.

more

Why I'm for the Brady Bill - NYTimes.com

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Computer geek loners and guns don't mix. I hope the makers of the computer war game Halo get charged for this one and the gun makers have to go to prison since it's their guns that killed the little children.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Computer geek loners and guns don't mix. I hope the makers of the computer war game Halo get charged for this one and the gun makers have to go to prison since it's their guns that killed the little children.

Ummm...ok then.

:lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lmao You still on that goofy kick about condemning manufacturers for what customers do? GM has killed hundreds of people. Honda, Kenworth, MCI, etc. have killed hundreds each, too. Put all those companies in jail. :rolleyes:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
1. Okay, but remember the guns used in the Connecticut shooting were registered, and the owner background checked. We need things that actually work....

Right... I never said it would stop them all did I? Your hypothetical was what would someone do if they could. If you want to give up so easily, there's really little point in having any system of governance for anything at all. You'd be better off living as a hermit fending for yourself. You yourself called for background checks, so I'm not sure what your problem is now. If your worldview idealizes to the point where efficacy is either 100% or 0%, then I'm not sure there's a rational discussion to be had with you.

2. Those are exactly the weapons protected by the second amendment.
No they aren't. The Second amendment doesn't mention any specific weapons, and the Supreme Court has upheld assault weapon bans in States like New Jersey. The bill signed by Clinton banning certain weapons and magazine sizes lasted until the sunset provision in the bill caused the law to expire. Gun nuts will cry foul but there are reasonable restrictions. The Second Amendment was never intended to give rise to war lords.

3. Actually, that almost makes sense. I have always seen licensing as the best solution....but the guns in Connecticut were held by a licensed shooter.
Yes, like I already said though, there will never be any system that prevents them all. However, it will prevent some, and it's not so much of a burden on law abiding citizens to be trained and assessed properly.

4. HUGELY expensive....why not ENCOURAGE people to become trained on their own, paid for by themselves, qualify and background check them, and let them carry anywhere? I'd do it....although I already have all the qualifications.
Yes, well better to have people who are trained professionals than to increase the chances of something going horribly wrong due to dreams of heroism. Hell, public buildings already have similar conditions as it is. Though honestly this was just spit balling.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I don't have such a thing. I wouldn't use one to get game even if I did. Same thing for my target rifles. I don't use those to kill anything at all. Your comment is irrelevant, so who is the one with their head up their ***? It ain't me.
LOL, it must be up there because you didn't figure this out. There is no reason for anyone to own a high powered assault rifle. Using hunting for meat was the excuse you offered for owning weapons, or can't you remember back an hour?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LOL, it must be up there because you didn't figure this out. There is no reason for anyone to own a high powered assault rifle. Using hunting for meat was the excuse you offered for owning weapons, or can't you remember back an hour?

DUH.

Actually, assault rifles are light rifles, while deer hunting requires a medium rifle.

5.56mm (standard military cartridge) is NOT suitable for deer hunting. It is not powerful enough, and is illegal for medium game in many places.

It is the same cartridge as .223 Remington, a coyote gun at best.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Military reasoning is to seriously injure rather than kill as it takes more resources to look after the wounded and they have ceased to be a credible threat that is why jacketed bullets came to be, nice neat little through and through hole. 5.56 tumble rounds make nasty holes but don't have the punch to obliterate.

These are the weapons of front line troops but certainly not the guys tasked with taking out the designated targets of higher value using longer range sniper tactics. Not since the Malvo shooter have we seen somone up in a Texas Tower taking out targets a couple thousand yards out. You ain't likely to see a screwed up teenager climbing a set of stairs with a Remington 700 under his arm.

These school shootings seem to be targets of opportunity for the thought processes used by disenfranchised youth that have gone off the rails.

NO ONE studied the effects of a .223 round on the much smaller body mass of 5 or 6 year olds. If they did I'm damn sure they didn't make it public. I bet this kid just liked the name "bushmaster" on the rifle and the sound it made on the shooting range with mommy.

Something needs to change but focusing entirely on the weapons while ignoring the societal problem of young people not getting into the headlights of some quality phsyc care is tantamount to telling them all to use a propane tank and some detergent, diesel fuel mixture instead.

Columbine shooters had this one figured out but couldn't activate that part of their plan. Next nutbar/s might use no firarms at all but resort to scorched earth instead then what will the gun abolishionists grasp as a panacea?

Last edited: