BREAKING: WABC: One dead in school shooting in Newtown, CT

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can see that you view it differently, but I don't view it as life until it is capable of living outside the mother's body on it's own.
I view it as has been dictated by science.

How long will an infant last lying on the ground without care?

Not very long.

So I guess by your definition, it isn't life until it can fend for itself.

I know teenagers that aren't life.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How is a debate on abortion and "when is a fetus really a person" pertinent
to another school shooting? Yes, I can also read back to see where the train
left the tracks, but this thread was about this school shooting.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How is a debate on abortion and "when is a fetus really a person" pertinent
to another school shooting? Yes, I can also read back to see where the train
left the tracks, but this thread was about this school shooting.
Because predictably it turned into a debate on gun control...

If we're going to discuss what rights we're willing to discard for the sake of life, it was bound to happen.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Last edited by a moderator:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Because predictably it turned into a debate on gun control...

If we're going to discuss what rights we're willing to discard for the sake of life, it was bound to happen.

So the loooonnng stretch. The Gun Control debate I also though was inevitable like
every other time this happens. Guess I should'a read the program.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which bring up another question (sorry Ron) Maybe it's time to take a second look at "rights" that are costing lives!
I agree.

So what scale are we going to use?

The actual cost of life?

Or what tugs at the heart strings more?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Which bring up another question (sorry Ron) Maybe it's time to take a second look at "rights" that are costing lives!

Like Drivers licenses issued to people under the age of 25 who haven't had years
of driving experience yet? Or issued to those over the age of 50 who's reactions
might have slowed?

I could come up with more examples, much more off topic than the one I posted,
but to what end? Thank the Lord (or whatever) that the ability exists to create
other threads to sort'a keep the ducks in their rows, eh?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I view it as has been dictated by science.

How long will an infant last lying on the ground without care?

Not very long.

So I guess by your definition, it isn't life until it can fend for itself.

I know teenagers that aren't life.

That is my line in the sand. I also view that once the baby is born he is alive and under our laws (and societal values) the parents or guardians are responsible for it's care until the age of 16. So leaving an infant on the ground with out care is chargeable (and is).

I don't expect you to agree with me. I respect your position (your line in the sand), and gerrys but just don't agree with them.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
And how do you propose to prevent the sale of guns to guys like him without curtailing the sale to sane, law abiding, respectful people and curtailing THEIR rights? Do we examine the entire populace for mental health and issue colour coded cards that have to be presented for a gun purchase? What would you do to prevent guns thefts? Would any of the above prevent him from making a bomb?
There is actually no reason for anyone to own a gun.
But the USofA is certainly a great country, give everyone legal access to guns, but heaven forbid if they give them access to health care. What a bunch of idiots.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can think of a half dozen legitimate reasons, without even putting any effort into it.

Perhaps what you meant to say was there's actually no reason you should own a gun.

I'd agree with that, since you seem to want to trample peoples rights.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I'm sorry, Risus, but that statement certainly disqualifies you from any sensible discussion!

I can think of a half dozen legitimate reasons, without even putting any effort into it.

Perhaps what you meant to say was there's actually no reason you should own a gun.

I'd agree with that, since you seem to want to trample peoples rights.

No use debating idiocy!

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Over 23 deceased, murdered in cold blood and the count isn't final yet. RIP for all the deceased and may God's tender loving care embrace the survivors and their families. How can we know when a wing nut gets loose that sat quietly for years? Guns don't kill, demented people do and chose a gun, knife or other weapon. SAD!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I'm sorry, Risus, but that statement certainly disqualifies you from any sensible discussion!

No use debating idiocy!

The pro gun owners on this forum probably have wee weenies and are trying to compensate for that by trying to look manly by waving around their gun.
The only purpose of a gun is to kill. What is so difficult to understand about that?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The pro gun owners on this forum probably have wee weenies and are trying to compensate for that by trying to look manly by waving around their gun.
How is having a wee brain that forces one to make up silly accusations about other members genitalia and waving guns around better?

My wife owns firearms. Does that mean she has a small ...?

Maybe you should think it through before you post nonsense.

The only purpose of a gun is to kill.
Those poor paper targets.

What is so difficult to understand about that?
Nothing.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I like the idea of going after the amunition. One may have the right to bear arms but it doesn't mean they should necessarily have the ability to load and fire them at will. Keep them in showcases where they belong. Keep the ammo at ranges and account for every bullet. None should leave the premises.

Lovely how people will go through the most convoluted twists of logic in an attempt to destroy a person's rights.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Lovely how people will go through the most convoluted twists of logic in an attempt to destroy a person's rights.

and it's so lovely how idiots will use those convoluted twists of logic to support their rights being more important than someones right to live.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
and it's so lovely how idiots will use those convoluted twists of logic to support their rights being more important than someones right to live.

Gerry, you have to deal with reality.

The Second Amendment is clear, and it is not going away.

Neither are the hundreds of millions of weapons in the hands of civilians going away.

Therefore, as it is legally and physically impossible to erase the threat, there are only two options:

1. Do nothing.

2. Encourage good people to take steps to defend themselves and the innocent.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gerry, you have to deal with reality.

The Second Amendment is clear, and it is not going away.

Neither are the hundreds of millions of weapons in the hands of civilians going away.

Therefore, as it is legally and physically impossible to erase the threat, there are only two options:

1. Do nothing.

2. Encourage good people to take steps to defend themselves and the innocent.

another "amendment" just isn't possible, eh? "Amendments" just aren't allowed any more?