Stainless steel

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Over the last year and a half we have bought all new kitchen appliances. The first appliance we bought was a
dishwasher with a stainless steel door. Next we bought a stove that had the smooth top and stainless every where else.
Today we took delivery of a Kenmore "Elite" refrigerator. It cost an extra $300.00 to have a stainless steel door. Funny thing is,
that a magnet won't stick to the S.S. door.
Am I missing something here?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Over the last year and a half we have bought all new kitchen appliances. The first appliance we bought was a
dishwasher with a stainless steel door. Next we bought a stove that had the smooth top and stainless every where else.
Today we took delivery of a Kenmore "Elite" refrigerator. It cost an extra $300.00 to have a stainless steel door. Funny thing is,
Simply put, the iron content (the element succeptible to magnetism) is very low in stainless steel. So you need more powerful magnets to hang on6to the small amount of iron in the steel.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Simply put, the iron content (the element succeptible to magnetism) is very low in stainless steel. So you need more powerful magnets to hang on6to the small amount of iron in the steel.

This is what it looks like but in stainless.

24.8 cubic feet and the ice maker is in the bottom freezer drawer.
I thought the ice maker in the door took too much space out of the door
Thanks for the info on the S.S. ladies, I wondered if they were giving me polished aluminum:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Now That's Pretty SWEET #juan!!! I'm 6'2" & actually loose stuff
in the back of my normal fridge. It's below my line of sight.

That wouldn't happen in your fridge, at all....

Ron. We have a 14 cubic foot chest freezer that we hope to either eliminate or downsize. This fridge is just over six feet high and the freezer seems easy to organize.

We'll see:smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ron. We have a 14 cubic foot chest freezer that we hope to either eliminate or downsize. This fridge is just over six feet high and the freezer seems easy to organize.

We'll see:smile:

The Freezer on the bottom, Fridge on the top is cool, as the Fridge contents
would be in my line of sight....& you (or I) would simply look straight down
into the Freezer. That's a very good design.

I literally loose & forget about stuff on the top shelf of my fridge (freezer on the
top-old school fridge) that I don't see unless I'm kneeling or squating....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Maybe the fact it's tin plated. :lol::lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
looks like a nice fridge, Juan.
Ron, don't be so lazy and crouch a little sometime. I have the same problem. You could always set the fridge on a small table, too. Elevator shoes for fridges. :D
JLM, tin is like iron, magnetic. :)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Juan, that's darn near the same fridge I got, only, because I have kids I a)didn't want the constant polishing and b)wanted my fridge to be a message board/display space, so, I went with white.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
looks like a nice fridge, Juan.
Ron, don't be so lazy and crouch a little sometime. I have the same problem. You could always set the fridge on a small table, too. Elevator shoes for fridges. :D
JLM, tin is like iron, magnetic. :)

Nope, Iron, NIckel and Cobalt.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Juan

Apart from seething with remorse and jealousy because I let my SS appliances go with the sale of our home.... I am sorry about the magnets....funny how we get used to little "home habits", especially if you have an analytical mind such as you do...

Still crayons and sticky notes work if you use your fridge for communicating with each other or just saying "I love you" ..... a phrase which will work no matter the construction...... just get back to basics. My dad used to carve hearts in trees
at my mother's house until her dad got after him.

I missed my magnets too and finally threw them away when I moved.... who says we "grow up" in life... we really just change the "kid things" around to suit a new environment.

Enjoy your new pleasures - you lucky couple.... My hubby christened ours with a big old kiss while I was pinned against the new fridge door.... (way better than a magnet - jes sayin)....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I love it when people buy SS appliances. Keeps me and 3M in business!!!

If you get scratches Juan, let me know, I'll talk you through the repair.

In the mean time, pick up a can of Nexgen or Keen, screw that crap they tell you to buy, it's junk. That will help you keep sticky finger prints off and keep them off.

Can't help you with the magnet thing though, that's just the nature of SS.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:glasses11:Juan, you don't use SS knives do you?? (keeping on the SS topic)

They're a bitch to sharpen.

Lee Valley sells some kickass knives with high carbon steel blades. They dull a bit faster than SS, but take a razor edge real fast on a sharpener or a good steel. (NFI, but tellem Nuggs sent ya.)

:bunny:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Juan

Apart from seething with remorse and jealousy because I let my SS appliances go with the sale of our home.... I am sorry about the magnets....funny how we get used to little "home habits", especially if you have an analytical mind such as you do...

Still crayons and sticky notes work if you use your fridge for communicating with each other or just saying "I love you" ..... a phrase which will work no matter the construction...... just get back to basics. My dad used to carve hearts in trees
at my mother's house until her dad got after him.

I missed my magnets too and finally threw them away when I moved.... who says we "grow up" in life... we really just change the "kid things" around to suit a new environment.

Enjoy your new pleasures - you lucky couple.... My hubby christened ours with a big old kiss while I was pinned against the new fridge door.... (way better than a magnet - jes sayin)....

One or two tiny regrets. The fridge we replaced must have had a hundred little magnets all over the door that the grand kids use to
use to pin up their latest "art". Jan suggested we buy a magnetic bulletin board. I'm sure we can get around that problem one way or another.
The other problem is fingerprints. We love the look of stainless but it shows a visible fingerprint of every finger that touched it. Jan and I can probably learn to use the door handles but when jelly covered grandchildren visit we probably will learn not to worry about it. We'll find a place to keep a damp cloth for when conscience dictates a quick wipe down.:smile::roll:

:glasses11:Juan, you don't use SS knives do you?? (keeping on the SS topic)

They're a bitch to sharpen.

Lee Valley sells some kickass knives with high carbon steel blades. They dull a bit faster than SS, but take a razor edge real fast on a sharpener or a good steel. (NFI, but tellem Nuggs sent ya.)

:bunny:
About ten years ago the kids bought us a set of Henckel knives. They are great knives that I would recommend to anyone.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
One or two tiny regrets. The fridge we replaced must have had a hundred little magnets all over the door that the grand kids use to
use to pin up their latest "art". Jan suggested we buy a magnetic bulletin board. I'm sure we can get around that problem one way or another.
The other problem is fingerprints. We love the look of stainless but it shows a visible fingerprint of every finger that touched it. Jan and I can probably learn to use the door handles but when jelly covered grandchildren visit we probably will learn not to worry about it. We'll find a place to keep a damp cloth for when conscience dictates a quick wipe down.:smile::roll:
Check out walmart, look in their stationary section, there you can find a litany of magnet bulletin boards, in all manner of sizes.

Then get your self some 3M 4408, 1/2 wide, 1/8" thick double sided tape. It works excellently on stainless, especially that stuff GE uses.

Make sure you put the board on right where you want it though, once it up, it may not want to come off, lol.