The Climate Summit in Copenhagen Must Be Cancelled!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The thinking goes Ron, that the Annex I countries can most afford to make changes first of all. The keen observer will note that the Annex I countries contributions will not meet the global requirement. Cuts will have to come in the developing countries as well.
You know, these people that decide which is an annex 1 country really don't seem to have their noggins sewed on straight. China is about $2 trillion US in debt and has assets estimated at about $7 trillion, the USA is heading for 13 trillion in debt and about 50 trillion in assets, yet it's an annex 1 country and China isn't. There must be more to "annexes" than money. But it seems to me they can both afford stuff.
But anyway, I agree, underdeveloped countries can cut, too.

But the technologies initially will be expensive. A developing country that still doesn't have even an antiquated electrical distribution system, for instance, can't really be expected to go from the equivalent of rubbing two sticks together to a plasma torch.
Well, I can imagine Henry Ford had to throw a lot of money into his business when he went mechanised production. I am pretty sure that "green" technology will be the toy of the immediate future. It makes sense to get in on it soon.

As Annex I countries roll out the new technology, the manufacturing gets better, the processes are optimized, and the cost comes down as the economies of scale kick in.
Yup.

Yesterday the big news was that Mexico, UK, Norway, and Australia promoted a plan that would setup a find to help finance mitigation, and adaptation projects in equal amounts, for the most in need countries.
That's pretty neighborly of them. :)

So presumably, the long term plans are to address the most pressing needs and those who can afford it most, with the countries in the middle coming along slowly as well, and ramping up in later years.
It would make sense.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What really baffles me is why people think all this money and sophisticated technology is required to do this. As I've suggested several times, it can be accomplished if the common man on the street just starts doing little things differently, less unnecessary driving, turn down the thermostat a degree or two, cut back on use of the electric dryer. We got ourselves into this mess one kilowatt or gallon at a time and I think that's the way we'll get ourselves out.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I think everyone is making far too much of this climate summit. If we look back at it a month from now, we'll probably see what it amounted to what a vacation (and drunk) away from home on taxpayer's hook, where things were discussed, notes were taken, a lot of intentions were generated and that will be about the end of it. In 35 years of public service, of all the things I did that were a waste of time, meetings topped the list.

Yep. Sadly, many of these efforts are designed to look good. Actually being good is often somewhere else on the priority list. They all start out with great intentions, I think, but then a lot of people get involved, and soon the train starts sliding off the tracks. Don't mean to sound cynical but really...as long as it looks good, it's probably good enough.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What really baffles me is why people think all this money and sophisticated technology is required to do this. As I've suggested several times, it can be accomplished if the common man on the street just starts doing little things differently, less unnecessary driving, turn down the thermostat a degree or two, cut back on use of the electric dryer. We got ourselves into this mess one kilowatt or gallon at a time and I think that's the way we'll get ourselves out.
Pretty much. Change the attitude and awareness and being clean becomes a habit. One should start in his/her own backyard.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

So how do you know when we've cut back enough? Is it when you have to wear three blankets in your house to avoid freezing to death with current technology? Maybe some people would prefer walking around comfortably with new technology?

Conservation is great JLM, and it's needed, but the current technology won't cut it, not without drastic lifestyle changes that most aren't willing to commit to. If you tell people that we can solve it by living in grass huts without HD, 3G, Blue tooth, this that and the other thing, they're going to resist.

Technologies available today make that situation irrelevant. We don't need to live in grass huts. We need more sustainable methods. That is the root of it all. Sustainable. Fossil fuels are not, and the pressures they exert are not.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I did wonder how the thread on polar bears appeared all of a sudden, ready made with several comments, out of thin air.

Polar bears are allways brought up in a climate change debate.

I just hope we dont see a carbon credit program,that's just a money grab and will do nothing for the environment,que in Moe strong and kyoto,dont forget moe's ties with scientology.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I just hope we dont see a carbon credit program,that's just a money grab and will do nothing for the environment,que in Moe strong and kyoto,dont forget moe's ties with scientology.

Do you prefer a carbon tax? The US will have a system soon, and Canada will have to do something. Whether we adopt the American plan, or tailor our own to the same targets, will be the question.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Back in Copenhagen (by the numbers)

Along with the 1200 limos (France just ordered 42 more on Thursday), and
all 5 of the electric or hybrid cars requested, 140 private planes, etc...

....an extra 1400 Legit Unionized sex trade workers have been brought in for
free sex as long as you present a Climate Conference Delegate's Pass.

Oh Hell. I was going to lead into a Recycling joke, being good for the
Environment, etc...but it's just too nasty and I'm moderating myself.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Do you prefer a carbon tax? The US will have a system soon, and Canada will have to do something. Whether we adopt the American plan, or tailor our own to the same targets, will be the question.
Whatever they do,it's just going to line the pockets of many people,if you think this will help the environment then give your head a shake,this is just round 2 of the losers that didnt get the big bucks when the Kyoto agreement was'nt hounered.

Carbon credits are just a way to make a few peeps rich and I do believe Al Gore has some ties in there.;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So how do you know when we've cut back enough? Is it when you have to wear three blankets in your house to avoid freezing to death with current technology? Maybe some people would prefer walking around comfortably with new technology?

Conservation is great JLM, and it's needed, but the current technology won't cut it, not without drastic lifestyle changes that most aren't willing to commit to. If you tell people that we can solve it by living in grass huts without HD, 3G, Blue tooth, this that and the other thing, they're going to resist.

Technologies available today make that situation irrelevant. We don't need to live in grass huts. We need more sustainable methods. That is the root of it all. Sustainable. Fossil fuels are not, and the pressures they exert are not.

I've NEVER said "drastic" lifestyle changes, I have said several times "walk the short distances",cut the thermostat back 2 degrees, turn off unnecessary lights, recycle a bit more (like maybe darning socks instead of throwing them in the garbage and, use the outside clothes line weather permitting" No you can force people to comply but you can set a ceiling on cheap power, after the ceiling is reached, the price doubles. The more people we have who co operate the easier it will be for everyone.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Whatever they do,it's just going to line the pockets of many people,if you think this will help the environment then give your head a shake,this is just round 2 of the losers that didnt get the big bucks when the Kyoto agreement was'nt hounered.

Carbon credits are just a way to make a few peeps rich and I do believe Al Gore has some ties in there.;-)

Okay, Kakato. By the way how did you come by your name on the forum, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, Ron... back on topic. I was just sitting here reading your post and thinking that with all the time you have spent up North, and from what I gather you do care about the environment, so what would you do? Do you have any ideas about what could be done? I am truly curious, kakato. You have a unique perspective on the question that most of us here, do not. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I've NEVER said "drastic" lifestyle changes, I have said several times "walk the short distances",cut the thermostat back 2 degrees, turn off unnecessary lights, recycle a bit more (like maybe darning socks instead of throwing them in the garbage and, use the outside clothes line weather permitting" No you can force people to comply but you can set a ceiling on cheap power, after the ceiling is reached, the price doubles. The more people we have who co operate the easier it will be for everyone.

Boy do you have that right, JLM. It is up to each one of us to do what we can, encourage others to do the same, and keep after our government to do something.

My ex and I used to argue about the power individuals have, all the time. He is firmly of the opinion that people don't change and that nothing we can do as individuals makes one whit of difference. Well, I am sure you know where I stand.

About six or seven years ago I started using cloth bags for my groceries much to the scorn of my ex. At that time there weren't too many people who had switched. As the years went on I noticed that not only were people using more cloth bags but stores ( seeing $$$$ to be made) started getting in on the action.

Now, at a rough estimate, I would say maybe two-thirds of the people I see are carrying cloth bags. CB might have different numbers though.

Oh, and I notice that my ex is using cloth now too...never said a word about it, just smiled.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've NEVER said "drastic" lifestyle changes,

No, I did. Because cutting the heat back one or two degrees at a time, and driving one less trip a week won't cut it. It helps, but it won't make the grade.

With current technology, and population growth, it would require drastic lifestyle changes. Efficiency improvements and conservation would be a good start, but we'd all need to fundamentally change our habits in the end if we keep the same old technology.

Which brings me to another point, how do you know how much we need to cut back? What if your suggestions aren't enough?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Okay, Kakato. By the way how did you come by your name on the forum, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, Ron... back on topic. I was just sitting here reading your post and thinking that with all the time you have spent up North, and from what I gather you do care about the environment, so what would you do? Do you have any ideas about what could be done? I am truly curious, kakato. You have a unique perspective on the question that most of us here, do not. :smile:

It's an Innuit thing.

As for the environment well,I dont have a bias or agenda and have many years doing it so I know what works and am still learning as it's a day by day thing.

I have no agenda.
I've done reclamation for some of the biggest mining companys in Canada,all passed 100% on the cert's.

The carbon credit thing is just a scam,round 2 of kyoto after the fear mongers lost out on that gravy train when no one complied.
Carbon credits arent about the environment or planet,their about making some people very rich.

And the peeps that back them are just sheep,jumping on the bandwagon yet being used.

Hence the term I came up with a year ago....envirofoilers.
Akin to the 9/11 foiilers,just they got a differrent venue now.