The Climate Summit in Copenhagen Must Be Cancelled!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Nuh uh. lol

As I said, it's about impossible for the north end of the planet to warm up as the middle cools. It'd pretty much mean that the north would have to start facing the sun year round.

So, what would that mean, Anna? Something like a pole shift happening??

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And I do agree with darkbeaver, that the Inuit are talking about local conditions.

And we all know that local conditions are a no-no when talking about climate change. Particularly when your freezing your nuts off or shoveling 2' of Cold White GW residue from your driveway.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
CLIMATEGATE - Payoff! U.N. climate chief cashes in on carbon scheme

A story emerging out of Britain suggests "follow the money" may explain the enthusiasm of the United Nations to pursue caps on carbon emissions, despite doubts surfacing in the scientific community about the validity of the underlying global warming hypothesis.
A Mumbai-based Indian multinational conglomerate with business ties to Rajendra K. Pachauri, the chairman since 2002 of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, stands to make several hundred million dollars in European Union carbon credits simply by closing a steel production facility in Britain with the loss of 1,700 jobs.

GLOBAL WARMING CHA-CHING CHA-CHING THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So, what would that mean, Anna? Something like a pole shift happening??
Not just a pole shifting in relation to the sun, the entire axis the Earth rotates on would have to shift. It's pretty much impossible, so the entire polar region warming as the equatorial and temperate zones cooling is pretty much impossible.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And we all know that local conditions are a no-no when talking about climate change. Particularly when your freezing your nuts off or shoveling 2' of Cold White GW residue from your driveway.
Local conditions are included. But weather is not climate. For some reason some people cannot get their wonderful little noggins around that idea.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
CLIMATEGATE - Payoff! U.N. climate chief cashes in on carbon scheme

A story emerging out of Britain suggests "follow the money" may explain the enthusiasm of the United Nations to pursue caps on carbon emissions, despite doubts surfacing in the scientific community about the validity of the underlying global warming hypothesis.
A Mumbai-based Indian multinational conglomerate with business ties to Rajendra K. Pachauri, the chairman since 2002 of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, stands to make several hundred million dollars in European Union carbon credits simply by closing a steel production facility in Britain with the loss of 1,700 jobs.

GLOBAL WARMING CHA-CHING CHA-CHING THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING
Instead of posting rhetoric, Beav, post evidence that Earth isn't warming. Otherwise you're just telling tales.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I hear you Eagle, been doing' some of that shoveling myself this morning, and as I look out my window right now, I see that I am in for more fun in the snow - if it ever stops! :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I hear you Eagle, been doing' some of that shoveling myself this morning, and as I look out my window right now, I see that I am in for more fun in the snow - if it ever stops! :lol:
It's good exercise, Honey. :) lol I have a little tractor with a snowblower attachment for it, but I still like pitching snow by the manual method sometimes. I have to do a little anyway unless I like trudging through snow to get to the tractor. lol

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not just a pole shifting in relation to the sun, the entire axis the Earth rotates on would have to shift. It's pretty much impossible, so the entire polar region warming as the equatorial and temperate zones cooling is pretty much impossible.

Sorry, Anna, I mispoke. What I meant to ask was the possibility of magnetic pole reversal having an effect. No?

http://www.polereversal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=1
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/reversals.html

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's good exercise, Honey. :) lol I have a little tractor with a snowblower attachment for it, but I still like pitching snow by the manual method sometimes. I have to do a little anyway unless I like trudging through snow to get to the tractor. lol

I shovel paths for my furry companion Bobbie who needs to get out and do her business. She is very particular about staying far away from the house so I tend to shovel long paths out to tree cover where the snow is not too deep. A tractor would come in real handy. :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Local conditions are included. But weather is not climate. For some reason some people cannot get their wonderful little noggins around that idea.

I do have a wonderful little noggin... so thank you.

I just don't see how forcing developed nations to give billions (maybe trillions) of dollars to underdeveloped nations is going to change the climate.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anna,

Dexter, of Niflmir. I can only speculate. I'm not very strong when it comes to particle physics...I think if there was no change in the field strength only the orientation, that there wouldn't be much of an effect, except perhaps where the cosmogenic isotopes are entering the atmosphere? The isotopes I'm referring to are part of the solar wind interaction, electrons and protons (galactic cosmic rays, GCR) bombarding the planet. They form isotopes of carbon, berylium and chlorine, but those effects on the climate are at the very edge of detection.

Lots of noise is made about GCR and whatnot, but the evidence is very poor. The hypothesis is that in times of low GCR, that fewer clouds are seeded and so more incoming solar radiation reaches the surface of the earth. The problem is the time lag they've found between the GCR, and the fact that they are scavenged by other cloud forming particles. The difference between high and low cloud nucleation as a result of GCR turns out to be about a 0.05% in global cloud condensating nuclei (the seeds that form clouds).

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I do have a wonderful little noggin... so thank you.

I just don't see how forcing developed nations to give billions (maybe trillions) of dollars to underdeveloped nations is going to change the climate.
Me either. But we already give an awful lot to underdeveloped countries now. I can't see giving them more speeding up their development much. China isn't poor, it should bloody well know better than to allow its rate of pollution.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna,

Dexter, of Niflmir. I can only speculate. I'm not very strong when it comes to particle physics...I think if there was no change in the field strength only the orientation, that there wouldn't be much of an effect, except perhaps where the cosmogenic isotopes are entering the atmosphere? The isotopes I'm referring to are part of the solar wind interaction, electrons and protons (galactic cosmic rays, GCR) bombarding the planet. They form isotopes of carbon, berylium and chlorine, but those effects on the climate are at the very edge of detection.

Lots of noise is made about GCR and whatnot, but the evidence is very poor. The hypothesis is that in times of low GCR, that fewer clouds are seeded and so more incoming solar radiation reaches the surface of the earth. The problem is the time lag they've found between the GCR, and the fact that they are scavenged by other cloud forming particles. The difference between high and low cloud nucleation as a result of GCR turns out to be about a 0.05% in global cloud condensating nuclei (the seeds that form clouds).
Yeah, I forgot about Niffy till you mentioned him.
Anyway, you've said more about it than I could. :D

BTW, you're a bright cookie, can you fix my laptop for me? *giggles*

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, I forgot about Niffy till you mentioned him.
Anyway, you've said more about it than I could. :D

Yeah, but I don't know if it's worth much, what I said...

BTW, you're a bright cookie, can you fix my laptop for me? *giggles*

Thanks, but again you'd probably be better asking Nif or Dex, or Durka. :smile:

My fix is to smack the machine into submission. :lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Me either. But we already give an awful lot to underdeveloped countries now. I can't see giving them more speeding up their development much. China isn't poor, it should bloody well know better than to allow its rate of pollution.

China....Saudi Arabia....all of OPEC....yep...the list of open hands is long.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, but I don't know if it's worth much, what I said...

Thanks, but again you'd probably be better asking Nif or Dex, or Durka. :smile:

My fix is to smack the machine into submission. :lol:
lol I know. I was kidding. My anthro prof and a couple of us went up to the Chilcotin to identify some bones an old farmer/trapper guy had found. He suggested after we IDed the bones that we college types fix his radio. lol Jim bought him a new one. :D