The Forgotten Holocaust Remembered

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If Japan hadn't started the war, they wouldn't have been bombed. I can sympathize with civillian casualties to a degree but this, to me was cause and effect: Japan tried to utilize violent means to solve their internal needs and found that someone else was bigger and badder than they were...

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Posted By Ralph Raico On August 5, 2009 @ 9:00 pm

The most spectacular episode of Truman’s presidency will never be forgotten, but will be forever linked to his name: the atomic bombings of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, and of Nagasaki three days later. Probably around two hundred thousand persons were killed in the attacks and through radiation poisoning; the vast majority were civilians, including several thousand Korean workers. Twelve U.S. Navy fliers incarcerated in a Hiroshima jail were also among the dead.87

Great controversy has always surrounded the bombings. One thing Truman insisted on from the start: The decision to use the bombs, and the responsibility it entailed, was his. Over the years, he gave different, and contradictory, grounds for his decision. Sometimes he implied that he had acted simply out of revenge. To a clergyman who criticized him, Truman responded, testily:
Nobody is more disturbed over the use of Atomic bombs than I am but I was greatly disturbed over the unwarranted attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor and their murder of our prisoners of war. The only language they seem to understand is the one we have been using to bombard them.88
Such reasoning will not impress anyone who fails to see how the brutality of the Japanese military could justify deadly retaliation against innocent men, women, and children. Truman doubtless was aware of this, so from time to time he advanced other pretexts. On August 9, 1945, he stated: "The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, insofar as possible, the killing of civilians."89

This, however, is absurd. Pearl Harbor was a military base. Hiroshima was a city, inhabited by some three hundred thousand people, which contained military elements. In any case, since the harbor was mined and the U.S. Navy and Air Force were in control of the waters around Japan, whatever troops were stationed in Hiroshima had been effectively neutralized.

On other occasions, Truman claimed that Hiroshima was bombed because it was an industrial center. But, as noted in the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey, "all major factories in Hiroshima were on the periphery of the city – and escaped serious damage."90 The target was the center of the city. That Truman realized the kind of victims the bombs consumed is evident from his comment to his cabinet on August 10, explaining his reluctance to drop a third bomb: "The thought of wiping out another 100,000 people was too horrible," he said; he didn’t like the idea of killing "all those kids."91 Wiping out another one hundred thousand people . . . all those kids.

Moreover, the notion that Hiroshima was a major military or industrial center is implausible on the face of it. The city had remained untouched through years of devastating air attacks on the Japanese home islands, and never figured in Bomber Command’s list of the 33 primary targets.92

Thus, the rationale for the atomic bombings has come to rest on a single colossal fabrication, which has gained surprising currency: that they were necessary in order to save a half-million or more American lives. These, supposedly, are the lives that would have been lost in the planned invasion of Kyushu in December, then in the all-out invasion of Honshu the next year, if that was needed. But the worst-case scenario for a full-scale invasion of the Japanese home islands was forty-six thousand American lives lost.93 The ridiculously inflated figure of a half-million for the potential death toll – nearly twice the total of U.S. dead in all theaters in the Second World War – is now routinely repeated in high-school and college textbooks and bandied about by ignorant commentators. Unsurprisingly, the prize for sheer fatuousness on this score goes to President George H.W. Bush, who claimed in 1991 that dropping the bomb "spared millions of American lives."94

Still, Truman’s multiple deceptions and self-deceptions are understandable, considering the horror he unleashed. It is equally understandable that the U.S. occupation authorities censored reports from the shattered cities and did not permit films and photographs of the thousands of corpses and the frightfully mutilated survivors to reach the public.95 Otherwise, Americans – and the rest of the world – might have drawn disturbing comparisons to scenes then coming to light from the Nazi concentration camps.

The bombings were condemned as barbaric and unnecessary by high American military officers, including Eisenhower and MacArthur.96 The view of Admiral William D. Leahy, Truman’s own chief of staff, was typical:
the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. . . . My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make wars in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children.97
The political elite implicated in the atomic bombings feared a backlash that would aid and abet the rebirth of horrid prewar "isolationism." Apologias were rushed into print, lest public disgust at the sickening war crime result in erosion of enthusiasm for the globalist project.98 No need to worry. A sea-change had taken place in the attitudes of the American people. Then and ever after, all surveys have shown that the great majority supported Truman, believing that the bombs were required to end the war and save hundreds of thousands of American lives, or more likely, not really caring one way or the other.

Those who may still be troubled by such a grisly exercise in cost-benefit analysis – innocent Japanese lives balanced against the lives of Allied servicemen – might reflect on the judgment of the Catholic philosopher G.E.M. Anscombe, who insisted on the supremacy of moral rules.99 When, in June 1956, Truman was awarded an honorary degree by her university, Oxford, Anscombe protested.100 Truman was a war criminal, she contended, for what is the difference between the U.S. government massacring civilians from the air, as at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the Nazis wiping out the inhabitants of some Czech or Polish village?

Anscombe’s point is worth following up. Suppose that, when we invaded Germany in early 1945, our leaders had believed that executing all the inhabitants of Aachen, or Trier, or some other Rhineland city would finally break the will of the Germans and lead them to surrender. In this way, the war might have ended quickly, saving the lives of many Allied soldiers. Would that then have justified shooting tens of thousands of German civilians, including women and children? Yet how is that different from the atomic bombings?

By early summer 1945, the Japanese fully realized that they were beaten. Why did they nonetheless fight on? As Anscombe wrote: "It was the insistence on unconditional surrender that was the root of all evil."101

That mad formula was coined by Roosevelt at the Casablanca conference, and, with Churchill’s enthusiastic concurrence, it became the Allied shibboleth. After prolonging the war in Europe, it did its work in the Pacific. At the Potsdam conference, in July 1945, Truman issued a proclamation to the Japanese, threatening them with the "utter devastation" of their homeland unless they surrendered unconditionally. Among the Allied terms, to which "there are no alternatives," was that there be "eliminated for all time the authority and influence of those who have deceived and misled the people of Japan into embarking on world conquest [sic]." "Stern justice," the proclamation warned, "would be meted out to all war criminals."102

To the Japanese, this meant that the emperor – regarded by them to be divine, the direct descendent of the goddess of the sun – would certainly be dethroned and probably put on trial as a war criminal and hanged, perhaps in front of his palace.103 It was not, in fact, the U.S. intention to dethrone or punish the emperor. But this implicit modification of unconditional surrender was never communicated to the Japanese. In the end, after Nagasaki, Washington acceded to the Japanese desire to keep the dynasty and even to retain Hirohito as emperor.

For months before, Truman had been pressed to clarify the U.S. position by many high officials within the administration, and outside of it, as well. In May 1945, at the president’s request, Herbert Hoover prepared a memorandum stressing the urgent need to end the war as soon as possible. The Japanese should be informed that we would in no way interfere with the emperor or their chosen form of government. He even raised the possibility that, as part of the terms, Japan might be allowed to hold on to Formosa (Taiwan) and Korea. After meeting with Truman, Hoover dined with Taft and other Republican leaders, and outlined his proposals.104

Establishment writers on World War II often like to deal in lurid speculations. For instance: if the United States had not entered the war, then Hitler would have "conquered the world" (a sad undervaluation of the Red Army, it would appear; moreover, wasn’t it Japan that was trying to "conquer the world"?) and killed untold millions. Now, applying conjectural history in this case: assume that the Pacific war had ended in the way wars customarily do – through negotiation of the terms of surrender. And assume the worst – that the Japanese had adamantly insisted on preserving part of their empire, say, Korea and Formosa, even Manchuria. In that event, it is quite possible that Japan would have been in a position to prevent the Communists from coming to power in China. And that could have meant that the thirty or forty million deaths now attributed to the Maoist regime would not have occurred.

But even remaining within the limits of feasible diplomacy in 1945, it is clear that Truman in no way exhausted the possibilities of ending the war without recourse to the atomic bomb. The Japanese were not informed that they would be the victims of by far the most lethal weapon ever invented (one with "more than two thousand times the blast power of the British ‘Grand Slam,’ which is the largest bomb ever yet used in the history of warfare," as Truman boasted in his announcement of the Hiroshima attack). Nor were they told that the Soviet Union was set to declare war on Japan, an event that shocked some in Tokyo more than the bombings.105 Pleas by some of the scientists involved in the project to demonstrate the power of the bomb in some uninhabited or evacuated area were rebuffed. All that mattered was to formally preserve the unconditional surrender formula and save the servicemen’s lives that might have been lost in the effort to enforce it. Yet, as Major General J.F.C. Fuller, one of the century’s great military historians, wrote in connection with the atomic bombings:
Though to save life is laudable, it in no way justifies the employment of means which run counter to every precept of humanity and the customs of war. Should it do so, then, on the pretext of shortening a war and of saving lives, every imaginable atrocity can be justified.106
Isn’t this obviously true? And isn’t this the reason that rational and humane men, over generations, developed rules of warfare in the first place?
While the mass media parroted the government line in praising the atomic incinerations, prominent conservatives denounced them as unspeakable war crimes. Felix Morley, constitutional scholar and one of the founders of Human Events, drew attention to the horror of Hiroshima, including the "thousands of children trapped in the thirty-three schools that were destroyed." He called on his compatriots to atone for what had been done in their name, and proposed that groups of Americans be sent to Hiroshima, as Germans were sent to witness what had been done in the Nazi camps. The Paulist priest, Father James Gillis, editor of The Catholic World and another stalwart of the Old Right, castigated the bombings as "the most powerful blow ever delivered against Christian civilization and the moral law." David Lawrence, conservative owner of U.S. News and World Report, continued to denounce them for years.107 The distinguished conservative philosopher Richard Weaver was revolted by
the spectacle of young boys fresh out of Kansas and Texas turning nonmilitary Dresden into a holocaust . . . pulverizing ancient shrines like Monte Cassino and Nuremberg, and bringing atomic annihilation to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Weaver considered such atrocities as deeply "inimical to the foundations on which civilization is built."108
Today, self-styled conservatives slander as "anti-American" anyone who is in the least troubled by Truman’s massacre of so many tens of thousands of Japanese innocents from the air. This shows as well as anything the difference between today’s "conservatives" and those who once deserved the name.
Leo Szilard was the world-renowned physicist who drafted the original letter to Roosevelt that Einstein signed, instigating the Manhattan Project. In 1960, shortly before his death, Szilard stated another obvious truth:
If the Germans had dropped atomic bombs on cities instead of us, we would have defined the dropping of atomic bombs on cities as a war crime, and we would have sentenced the Germans who were guilty of this crime to death at Nuremberg and hanged them.109
The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime worse than any that Japanese generals were executed for in Tokyo and Manila. If Harry Truman was not a war criminal, then no one ever was.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I heard that the Japanese had already surrendered the war but refused to hand over their god/emperor to the US and that is when they dropped the bombs. I can't be bothered to check the accuracy of that claim but I'm sure Stretch might know where to look for it.

The Japanese did not want to surrender. They wanted to negotiate a peace treaty to have terms favorable to Japan. Even after the first bomb on Hiroshima the Japanese Diet (leaders of Japan) assured the Emperor that the Americans only had one bomb.

The Japanese refused the allied Potsdam Declaration which demanded and Unconditional Surrender. The Japanese wanted their military kept in tact, the Emperor to remain in power, and to have immunity for war crimes (I wonder why).

Only after the second bomb did the Emperor get fed up. He decide that his people were worth more than his life or seat of power and ordered the government and military to accept the Unconditional Surrender.

Even then members of the military staged a bloody coup and seized the royal palace and killed members of the Emperor's cabinet. Direct intersession by the Emperor stopped the coup by telling the leaders of the coup that direct disobedience to his wishes is direct disobedience to him. At that the coup ended with many of the coup leaders sticking knives in their own bellies.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think the pope needs his head examined. Is the old goof trying to stir up racial hatred? Perhaps he's a nazi at heart?

Pope Benedict Argues Catholic Church 'Purified' Indigenous Peoples | | AlterNet

I have mentioned these Bulls before and have been called a liar for suggesting the Pope and the church had any influence in the genocide of the aboriginal peoples of the Americas. Thanks for reiterating that much of what happened here was a direct result of those papal Bulls. Like pedophile priests, the church, as always, is trying to cover up their crimes against humanity.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The residential school system was just a fart??!!! Tell that to all those that died, were raped, beaten and abused mentally, spiritually, physically and sexually. Tell that to the thousands who were medically sterilized, stolen from their families, locked in closets for speaking their native tongue. The finger pointing over there has three more pointing back here.

I heard a quote today from Sir John A. MacDonald. It went something like, it is the duty of every Canadian to see that the Indian is wiped out.

We could also talk about the rejections of ship loads of East Indians and Chinese or the Jews in WW2 who were refused entry into Canada when it was known that if they returned to their country of origin that they faced certain death and they did. You are the one who is a revisionist when it comes to history my dear fellow.

First of all, I doubt the quote..........

Secondly, I might be willing to consider your historical contentions if:

1. You had any sense of history, which you don't.

2. You had plausible references, which you never do.

3. In this specific case, if you could even spell Sir John A. Macdonald's name correctly.......

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You are the one questioning my statements, you prove them wrong. I don't suppose the hundreds of millions payed to victims of residential schools by our court system has any validity. I suppose you never heard of the ship of fools.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You are the one questioning my statements, you prove them wrong. I don't suppose the hundreds of millions payed to victims of residential schools by our court system has any validity. I suppose you never heard of the ship of fools.

I should have said that yes, comparing the deaths in the residential schools to the millions murdered by the Japanese is EXACTLY like comparing a fart to Mt. St. Helen's.

Read The Rape of Nanking. Then tell me how terrible we are, in a relative sense.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Nor were deaths of the alledged `six million` Jews caused by fire. In fact, most were gassed to death.

Since it wasn't all fire, you can't really call those two bombings Holocausts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I've heard so much on these threads about the Evils Of Jewish Financiers that I am sick of it.....and, let me warn you, I am beginning to seriously believe that bringing up the name of Rockefeller or that other rich Jewish family in ANY discussion of history is indicative of serious mental illness.

Talk to me when you have the book.......referenced, footnoted, supported.......academically acceptable.

Until then, the idea that the Russian revolution was carried out by an unholy alliance of Jewish bankers and anarchists is laughable.......or would be if it wasn't the same kind of crap that centuries of Jew-murder was based upon......

Academic acceptability is no longer acceptable Colpy, the world demands truth now more than ever. When history is examined disinterestedly who murdered who becomes something other than what the pop culture adherant like yourself incorporates into his or her pathetic view of the real.

By Martin H. Glynn – The American Hebrew page 582, October 31, 1919

Martin H. Glynn, Former Governor of the State of N.Y.

From across the sea six million men and women call to us for help, and eight hundred thousand little children cry for bread.

These children, these men and women are our fellow-members of the human family, with the same claim on life as we, the same susceptibility to the winter's cold, the same propensity to death before the fangs of hunger. Within them reside the illimitable possibilities for the advancement of the human race as naturally would reside in six million human beings. We may not be their keepers but we ought to be their helpers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
yep, and the us still uses du today and god only knows what other weapons it has that we dont know about......vaccines for instance

DU- Depleted Uranium.

Nothing can pop the turret off a tank like DU...but it surely is not a WMD.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Japan caused between 10 and 20 million deaths in China alone.........80% of which were civilians.

In comparison, Japan lost 2.7 million people in World War Two, 580,000 (or 22%) of which were civilians........that includes the victims of the atomic bombs.

Point set match.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I figured that would flush you out of the wood work. Who do you think financed the Russian revolution? Who do you think actually conducted the revolution before the Bolsheviks killed them all? It was Jewish Anarchists financed by Rockefeller and friends. I'm not sure if the book has been published yet but my friend has been translating the journals of his wife's grandfather who was active through the revolution and gives dates, times and names of all the major players.

Naturally! :roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Japan caused between 10 and 20 million deaths in China alone.........80% of which were civilians.

In comparison, Japan lost 2.7 million people in World War Two, 580,000 (or 22%) of which were civilians........that includes the victims of the atomic bombs.

Point set match.

Yeah but...America sucks. :lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I should have said that yes, comparing the deaths in the residential schools to the millions murdered by the Japanese is EXACTLY like comparing a fart to Mt. St. Helen's.

Read The Rape of Nanking. Then tell me how terrible we are, in a relative sense.

You reserve the status of victim only to your own and deny the plight of the other.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Then....we really shouldn`t use the term `holocaust` when reminded of the "six million" dead Jews by Hitler`s Germany?:-?

Holocaust:

1. Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by fire.
    1. Holocaust The genocide of European Jews and others by the Nazis during World War II: “Israel emerged from the Holocaust and is defined in relation to that catastrophe” (Emanuel Litvinoff).
    2. A massive slaughter: “an important document in the so-far sketchy annals of the Cambodian holocaust” (Rod Nordland).
  2. A sacrificial offering that is consumed entirely by flames.
[Middle English, burnt offering, from Old French holocauste, from Latin holocaustum, from Greek holokauston, from neuter of holokaustos, burnt whole : holo-, holo- + kaustos, burnt (from kaiein, to burn).]
holocaustal hol'o·caus'tal or hol'o·caus'tic adj.

USAGE NOTE Holocaust has a secure place in the language when it refers to the massive destruction of humans by other humans. Ninety-nine percent of the Usage Panel accepts the use of holocaust in the phrase nuclear holocaust. Sixty percent of the Panel accepts the sentence As many as two million people may have died in the holocaust that followed the Khmer Rouge takeover in Cambodia. But because of its associations with genocide, people may object to extended applications of holocaust. When the word is used to refer to death brought about by natural causes, the percentage of the Panel accepting drops sharply. Only 31 percent of the Panel approves the sentence In East Africa five years of drought have brought about a holocaust in which millions have died. In a 1987 survey, just 11 percent approved the use of holocaust to summarize the effects of the AIDS epidemic. This suggests that other figurative usages such as the huge losses in the Savings and Loan holocaust may be viewed as overblown or in poor taste. • When capitalized Holocaust refers specifically to the destruction of Jews and other Europeans by the Nazis and may also encompass the Nazi persecution of Jews that preceded the outbreak of the war.

WORD HISTORY Totality of destruction has been central to the meaning of holocaust since it first appeared in Middle English in the 14th century, used in reference to the biblical sacrifice in which a male animal was wholly burnt on the altar in worship of God. Holocaust comes from Greek holokauston (“that which is completely burnt”), which was a translation of Hebrew ‘ōlâ (literally “that which goes up,” that is, in smoke). In this sense of “burnt sacrifice,” holocaust is still used in some versions of the Bible. In the 17th century the meaning of holocaust broadened to “something totally consumed by fire,” and the word eventually was applied to fires of extreme destructiveness. In the 20th century holocaust has taken on a variety of figurative meanings, summarizing the effects of war, rioting, storms, epidemic diseases, and even economic failures. Most of these usages arose after World War II, but it is unclear whether they permitted or resulted from the use of holocaust in reference to the mass murder of European Jews and others by the Nazis. This application of the word occurred as early as 1942, but the phrase the Holocaust did not become established until the late 1950s. Here it parallels and may have been influenced by another Hebrew word, šô’â (“catastrophe,” in English, Shoah). In the Bible šô’â has a range of meanings including “personal ruin or devastation” and “a wasteland or desert.” Šô’â was first used to refer to the Nazi slaughter of Jews in 1939, but the phrase haš-šô’â (“the catastrophe”) became established only after World War II. Holocaust has also been used to translate ḥurbān (“destruction”), another Hebrew word used to summarize the genocide of Jews by the Nazis

I didn't say the deaths of the Jews were caused by fire. I was referring to the meaning of the word 'holocaust'.

Last edited: