Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So far only two have fallen. In third world countries. I would venture that it says more about their training than the plane itself.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
We have a long established set of procedures to handle aircraft safety issues.

Let's simply follow those procedures and handle it as we would any other flight safety incident.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
to answer the question - no I would not be flying on a max 8 until this is reviewed

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This would've been a great opportunity for Canada to promote the Bombardier C300. It is said to be a very capable short haul plane, enough to have been bought up by Airbus and prompted Trump to put in protection policies for Boeing. What the hell is Trudeau doing? Zero.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
perhaps planes that crash should be discontinued.
;)

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
So far only two have fallen. In third world countries. I would venture that it says more about their training than the plane itself.
Two fatal crashes so early in the life of a commercial aircraft is highly unusual, and the fatal-accident rate of the 737 Max is now second-highest of the modern era, after the ill-fated Concorde. The 737 Max has only flown about 500,000 flights, estimates aviation-safety expert Todd Curtis of AirSafe.com. With two crashes causing fatalities, the fatal-accident rate of the 737 Max would be 4 flights per million. That’s far higher than for most modern airliners. The prior version of the 737, for instance, has flown 61 million flights and averages just 0.2 fatal flights per million.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/t...-deadliest-mainstream-jetliner-203441321.html

EMERGENCY AIRWORTHINESS DIRECTIVE
Operating Procedures Required by AD 2018-23-51
Runaway Stabilizer
Disengage autopilot and control airplane pitch attitude with control column
and main electric trim as required. If relaxing the column causes the trim to
move, set stabilizer trim switches to CUTOUT. If runaway continues, hold
the stabilizer trim wheel against rotation and trim the airplane manually.
Note: The 737-8/-9 uses a Flight Control Computer command of pitch
trim to improve longitudinal handling characteristics. In the event of
erroneous Angle of Attack (AOA) input, the pitch trim system can trim
the stabilizer nose down in increments lasting up to 10 seconds.
In the event an uncommanded nose down stabilizer trim is experienced
on the 737-8/ -9, in conjunction with one or more of the indications or
effects listed below, do the existing AFM Runaway Stabilizer procedureZ
above, ensuring that the STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches are set to CUTOUT and sta
y in the CUTOUT position for the remainder of the flight.
An erroneous AOA input can cause some or all of the following
indications and effects:
•Continuous or intermittent stick shaker on the affected side only.
•Minimum speed bar (red and black) on the aff ected side only.
•Increasing nose down control forces.
•IAS DISAGREE alert.
•ALT DISAGREE alert.
•AOA DISAGREE alert (if the option is installed).
•FEEL DIFF PRESS light.
•Autopilot may disengage.
•Inability to engage autopilot.
Initially, higher control forces may be needed to overcome any
stabilizer nose down trim already applied. Electric stabilizer trim can be
used to neutralize control column pitch forces before moving the STAB
TRIM CUTOUT switches to CUTOUT. Manual stabilizer trim can be
used before and after the STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches are moved
to CUTOUT.
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20181107FAAEAD20182351.pdf
Not sure how much time they would have to assimilate & react?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'd have second thoughts about fliying in a helicopter right now....
The daughter of a good friend of my wife and the daughter's husband crashed last week

Missing couple's helicopter found in wooded area, partially buried in snow: search master

Crews in a Canadian Armed Forces Hercules aircraft spotted the site of a helicopter crash, circled in red, March 11, 2019. It was found 35 nautical miles from Nicole and Jody Blais' destination, a hangar in Fauquier. Supplied photo

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
I'd have second thoughts about fliying in a helicopter right now....
The daughter of a good friend of my wife and the daughter's husband crashed last week
DaSleeper, Condolences of the loss of your friends. It's a mind-numbing shock when these kinds of thing happen. I lost one co-worker in a bush plane accident. the aircraft was missing for weeks and the atmosphere at work was oppressive. It was eventually spotted nose-down in the trees with everyone still strapped in.

Another friend was one of the pilots in a major airline disaster that killed all on board. As is nearly always the case there were multiple errors and failures; in design, in manuals and communications generally, any one of which might otherwise have prevented the accident.

Aircraft safety is no joking matter.

Last edited:

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Wow, M. Garneau finally noticed similarities between the two accidents, only days after everyone else was pointing them out. And now even Trump 'gets it.' Progress I suppose.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
I'm not sure they would have had enough time to process & react before the point of no return: control difficulties at low altitude while multiple alarms are going off in the cockpit. The entire flight only lasted about 6 minutes.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Wow, M. Garneau finally noticed similarities between the two accidents, only days after everyone else was pointing them out. And now even Trump 'gets it.' Progress I suppose.
I suspect he caught wind of the US planning to ban. Would've looked strange being the only country not putting safety first.