Would you fly in a 737 Max 8 right now?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
"Hard Landing" - the ultimate euphemism. It has caused everything from crushed vertebrae to physical loss of an engine and more, leading to destruction of the whole aircraft with everyone aboard.
The idea that a controlling computer could randomly reboot is mind boggling.
Sikorsky is honouring their warranty, I sure hope.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow, M. Garneau finally noticed similarities between the two accidents, only days after everyone else was pointing them out. And now even Trump 'gets it.' Progress I suppose.
I wonder how much of this epiphany comes from the flight attendants not wanting to (or outright refusing to) fly on these planes?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I wonder how much of this epiphany comes from the flight attendants not wanting to (or outright refusing to) fly on these planes?
Or insurance companies saying their on their own if the fly without getting this fixed.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm not sure they would have had enough time to process & react before the point of no return: control difficulties at low altitude while multiple alarms are going off in the cockpit. The entire flight only lasted about 6 minutes.
Perhaps. If I understand it all correctly they were taking off with the autopilot on. THis being the case they probably couldn't override it in time to make the necessary corrections, if any were actually required prior to the autopilot making a decision.
Now flying a huge jet is beyond my knowledge but I can get several different float planes up and down and have spent quite a bit of time with automous equipment so I am aware of their limitations despite what the manufacturers tell us.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The truth is before the grounding, Canadian carriers were running out of places to land in the World. No one wanted them in their airspace. Garneau was almost last to the party. Sunwing beat him to it, for God sake.
Granted.

I was not addressing the timing of the cancellations. My point was simply that Mr Garneau was a wonderful change from every other liberal - most of whom have not a clue how to answer a question on their own and when put on the spot simply pull out the newspeak.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Granted.

I was not addressing the timing of the cancellations. My point was simply that Mr Garneau was a wonderful change from every other liberal - most of whom have not a clue how to answer a question on their own and when put on the spot simply pull out the newspeak.
It's a screaming shame that someone can always turn a serious issue into a platform for party political propaganda.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
It's a screaming shame that someone can always turn a serious issue into a platform for party political propaganda.
I believe Mr Garneau was wrong in his earlier decision regardless of any political affiliation. It's a public safety issue; whether you're a conservative, liberal, communist or a save-the-whales-for-Jesus activist it's a PUBLIC SAFETY issue.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If I'm not driving why do I need to be insured.

In fact even if I don't have a license why can't a ride in a self driving car.

Because you,re to stupid to press the right buttons.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Granted.
Garneau has been on top of a powerful rocket of a type that had killed people and should therefore be extra-sensitive to aircraft safety issues.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
If I understand it all correctly they were taking off with the autopilot on.
I don't think that would be relevant (see my previous post and quote.) The anti-stall software would kick in regardless. As I read it that could only be disarmed by killing its electrical supply via 2 switches low on the RH side of the control panel, once you determined it was causing the problem.

edit (previous quote): This nose-down command can last upwards of ten seconds, Boeing says, and can repeat at five-second intervals, whether in manual flight or with the autopilot engaged. If and when this happens, the stabilizer trim itself gives no indication that it’s moving. All the crew knows is that the plane is nosing over.

Last edited:

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
QUOTE=Curious Cdn;2705979]I'd think that sitting on top of a mountain of explosives would permanently put the fear of God into you.[/QUOTE]

So would I but Marc Garneau seems to be immune; fearless on everyone else's behalf.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
OK I'm not a pilot or an aeronautical engineer, but here's what I think I get from reading online: The stall-avoidance software is needed on the Max 8 & 9 aircraft because in climbing to altitude they are liable to push the nose too high without pilot (or autopilot) input, potentially resulting in a stall. This did not happen on previous 737s. It arises from the fact that the Max series have different engines mounted differently.

So there's - what? - a new weight distribution or thrust angle that pushes the nose too high in some conditions? Wouldn't we call that a design error, and the new software a clumsy workaround?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
More bad news for Boeing from their very biggest and most loyal customer:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us- ... li=AAggNb9

Frankly, after Boeing maneuvered on Trump's behalf by slapping a 250% tariff on Bombardier aircraft as part of Trump's "art of the deal schtick" at the beginning of his farcical non-renegotiation of NAFTA, I'd be happy to see Boeing go under and they might just because it will take months and months for the Transport Safety people to figure out exactly what happened while there are hundreds of 737 Max out there that can't even move.

The law suits alone ...

... in the United States alone ...

I think that the appropriate Karmic end to this would be Bombardier buying up some of Boeing's bleaching bones 10¢ on .the dollar.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
More bad news for Boeing from their very biggest and most loyal customer:
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us- ... li=AAggNb9
Frankly, after Boeing maneuvered on Trump's behalf by slapping a 250% tariff on Bombardier aircraft as part of Trump's "art of the deal schtick" at the beginning of his farcical non-renegotiation of NAFTA, I'd be happy to see Boeing go under and they might just because it will take months and months for the Transport Safety people to figure out exactly what happened while there are hundreds of 737 Max out there that can't even move.
The law suits alone ...
... in the United States alone ...
I think that the appropriate Karmic end to this would be Bombardier buying up some of Boeing's bleaching bones 10¢ on .the dollar.
Unfortunately the only way bombardier can buy anything is with Canadian taxpayer $$$$$.