Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: Whitney Houston Found Dead

She had a great voice, a lousy husband. RIP

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I remember when we were first hearing her Voice and it was magnificent. I didn't always like the vocal acrobatics she, like many other vocalists, indulged in, but the quality of her voice on its own made her a star.

Now, we all know she had issues with her allegedly abusive on-again-off-again exhusband Bobby Brown but we don't know what contributed to her substance abuse issues. And yeah, we're going to hear a lot about them because she DID die so young and thats pretty much the way it goes: when someone dies "before their time" we fixate on the cause of death. In this case many of us are automatically making that intuitive leap that her past problems are a contributor if not the outright cause: drugs and that lifestyle are hard on the body, so even if it was something like a heart attack, how much did her earlier life damage her?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Indeed, Dexter, Indeed.

well, so far NO cause of death has been released so all folks are doing is making assumptions. Of course the media does that. It was different with Elvis.......it seemed that most sort of suspected......but the focus was on the loss of the man, the talent , the survivors , the family...........and the crap sifted out later.

Yes, it was ugly about Amy , and it was wrong to literally black ball her in death by focussing on her problems. instead of her talent.The one person who handled it very tactfully and gracefully was Tony Bennett. ( she did a duo with him).

( just saying.... _

Not really. If she had a heart attack with no drugs currently in her system that would be listed as the cause of death, not the fact that vast amounts of drugs and alcohol caused the heart attack.
Too bad . She was an excellent singer.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not wanting to be unkind, but I only ever heard her sing one song. I will assume she had more than one.
I never followed Whitney Houston's career because I didn't like her style. I wish her and her loved ones well.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Some people think "making it big" is the answer. There have been far too many rich and famous people crumble to believe that being rich and famous cures all ills. She was an immense talent. The drugs destroyed that. But the drugs ultimately were not the problem. They were nothing more than a symptom.

well said. Yes......a symptom of what folks have bought into as being the "american dream". (one assumes that means huge success, a moneyed lifestyle with all the trappings (drugs etc) that go with it. It is also a symptom of where society is , when it actually worships this rich and shameless life and uses it as a goal in life. A society that will sell its soul for a few seconds on TV and all the fawning that involves.

It is also a symptom of the fact that most cannot handle this "american dream " of public life , wealth and lose control of their priorities.

Notice........just about EVERY huge talent that "made the american dream) has had addiction issues. There is a clue there. even the wonderfully talented Tony Bennett. Three wives later and a lot of family support he managed to pull himself out of it. The Italian importance on family might have helped.

Elvis was ill equipped from the onset to handle what came with his big talent. He was totally unsophisticated in the ways of the world , been pampered by him mom .....over protected , and thus lacking the development of coping skills. He just took what he wanted when he wanted and because of his dependant personality type......was a natural for the drug world. (even if he rationalized that they were prescription drugs ) His manager exploited his talent , as did the Memphjis maphia around him. He passively let this happen as he could not assert himself in a way to remain in control of his life.

Then there is M. Jackson. If folks are angry at Whtney......they should be just as angry at Michael Jackson. He literally paid someone to "kill him".....then the media , took the Dr to task.......when it was Jackson who orchestrated his own demise by playing russian roulette with high potency illegal drugs. Yes, the Dr. is guilty ......but of being weak and getting involved with Jackson to begin with.

the root of this?? MONEY...

and , and , and. So yes.......the huge red flag is glaring about something deeper and more lethal in a society that lets its heros, and idols get away with this........until something like a sudden death happens Then it tears the person in question apart like vultures.

Does one really know how things would go , if they were so talented, in the spotlilght, earning buckets of money, could have anything they want , have each action scrutinized and live in a hi pressure bubble that could break anyone??? Remember the american dream is just that .........a dream. a fantasy. The culture chases this fantasy as an end all and at any cost.

Interesting that this time the media is actually holding off on disecting the situation and her life.......and trying to keep the focus on her fantastic talent. Maybe they are finally learning something. The media is very much a part of this rich and shameless culture ...can make or break a person.

I suspect it will turn up to be a suicide.

Maybe . IF she had a history of depression. OR it may turn out to be a heart attack or something totally medical. Induced by the stresses of her life......and lifestyle .

Hopefully.........this will be handled with more dignity than we have seen in past sudden deaths. The addictive aspect has become the "norm" in these situations ......so best focus on the talent and contribution to the music world and society.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the fault of being a drug addict is hers and hers alone, she made those decisions by herself, and
to put the blame on anything else is doing her a favour, also her drug addict husband can't be
blamed for her problems, he has his problems, and they belong to him, together they must have been
quite a pair.

people don't have to cave into others demands and decisions, one must treasure themselves as an individual and mother/father, protect and love your children, and don't put yourself ahead of them.

I have no sympathy for her, just pity and anger, to see the waste of not just her life, but the
torment and stress on her children, and other members of her family as well.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Whitney Houston 'happy' in days before death

Whitney Houston 'happy' in days before death - World - CBC News

the fault of being a drug addict is hers and hers alone, she made those decisions by herself, and
to put the blame on anything else is doing her a favour, also her drug addict husband can't be
blamed for her problems, he has his problems, and they belong to him, together they must have been
quite a pair.

people don't have to cave into others demands and decisions, one must treasure themselves as an individual and mother/father, protect and love your children, and don't put yourself ahead of them.

I have no sympathy for her, just pity and anger, to see the waste of not just her life, but the
torment and stress on her children, and other members of her family as well.

That would apply to every celeb with talent . Maybe MJ , Elvis, and the host of others should have had the inner strength to "just say no" . Those that have worked with addicted clients will tell you......it is not that easy and a whole lot more complex. Some just have a genetic tendancy towards such dependancies. As has been said.......one has to walk in their shoes to truly understand what the whole dynamic was.

what is even more tragic is that all the deaths of such powerful talents has not influenced the drug culture one bit. (as in detered it)

Why is that?? If it is so easy to say no , when addicted or potentially addicted........why isn't it happening??

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Very sad, we can judge others, but it's meaningless if we don't know the "headwinds they've been bucking".
While some may yawn, you and I look a bit deeper, JLM. Like you I realize that we will never know what drove such a talented person to pursue the life she did in spite of the acclaim and recognition she had garnered a long the way. I wasn't a 'fan' of Whitney but I did recognize talent when I heard it and she once had a great voice, IMHO.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Breaking news: source: Vancouver Sun

There are reports that Bobbi Kristina Brown, the 18-year-old daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, was rushed to hospital following the death of her mother Saturday. Brown was transported to Cedars-Sinai hospital from the Beverly Hilton, the hotel where Houston passed away.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

It doesn't take long these days.

For me just another washed-up has-been celeb drug addict. I care not.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I hated her screaming, when she sang, she had a decent voice, but it seemed every song she felt the need to scream. Got tiring after the first time.

I still find it funny when these church goin' choir singers make the big time, and decide that drugs and such are a great thing, and destroy their lives.