What Are You Having For Dinner?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Bought a Cook's ham:

Had a super sandwich for lunch and made some spicy ham soup with broccoli for dinner tonight.

Dessert was pumpkin pie.

Have PLENTY of leftovers for the Halloween Holiday weekend.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My wife is over at a craft sale, selling stuff.

I`M in charge of supper. (woohoo):roll:

Pot roast, taters, baby carrots, ana pie.

can we have cake instead of pie? the rest is amazing

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You want to watch those "baby" carrots........................not healthy.

how come?

I do notice at various times of the year they are not as flavourful and then I buy the large ones and do a bit more prep work.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
how come?

I do notice at various times of the year they are not as flavourful and then I buy the large ones and do a bit more prep work.
Several years ago there was a report about those things. They are not baby carrots, they are full grown carrots that were starting to rot so they just peeled off the rot and sold them as baby carrots. When I heard that I quit buying them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Several years ago there was a report about those things. They are not baby carrots, they are full grown carrots that were starting to rot so they just peeled off the rot and sold them as baby carrots. When I heard that I quit buying them.

according to research, they are a healthy choice ma dear

The Truth About Baby Carrots - 100 Days of Real Food

the larger are more flavourful at times but the little guys are handy

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's possible they cleaned up their act since that report 4 or 5 years ago. I guess no one has died.:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's possible they cleaned up their act since that report 4 or 5 years ago. I guess no one has died.:)

possibly...they are handy for caramelizing since they are all close in size...I could eat a whole bag of caramelized.

I might have to have some for dinner tomorrow

also, thanks for that article...I thought all baby carrots were shaved down...apparently some are just picked super young

Generally, consumers can determine whether small carrots are true baby carrots or not by looking at what's listed on the packaging. Labels that say "baby carrots" appear on packages of very young carrots that are harvested while the vegetables are still quite tiny. Labels that proclaim "baby-cut carrots" appear on packages of petite carrots made by chopping down and polishing much larger versions of the vegetable.
Read more at snopes.com: Baby Carrots

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
435 grams of rib eye. Medium rare. Baked potato. Salad. Even have a piece leftover for steak and eggs tomorrow.
Looked just like this. I had more cheese on the spud.