WE really need to get rid of this guy

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Of course. And I favor Pete Poo-lover over True Dope.

Don't mean his shit don't stink.
Nah, I think Justin may have a slight edge on Peter Polly. He came on too strong to suit me. I'm getting further and further from party politics to the point where I don't really like any of them. Good to see you are still posting, Bones! (Some of your ideas were good) :)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Nah, I think Justin may have a slight edge on Peter Polly. He came on too strong to suit me. I'm getting further and further from party politics to the point where I don't really like any of them. Good to see you are still posting, Bones! (Some of your ideas were good) :)

It's why I've kind'a liked how the US votes for person over party for years now. (or at least, the opportunity to vote person over party). I wish we had that. Then again if we did we wouldn't have a Parliamentary system so...

Reactions: Ron in Regina

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's why I've kind'a liked how the US votes for person over party for years now. (or at least, the opportunity to vote person over party). I wish we had that. Then again if we did we wouldn't have a Parliamentary system so...
Aren't the Americans pretty well limited to two choices federally?

Reactions: Taxslave2

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

In that regard, yes.

But What I like is that if they vote, say, Dem for local representation, for leadership they can vote for the other guy. It's not automatic because of party.

Reactions: JLM

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Much as politicians hate it, we vote for our local representative, not the party they represent.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yep, they all do what is best for #1!
Of course - we the voters insist on it. We only elect people who do that. We don't reward anyone who doesn't with votes. So anyone who manages to get elected by the people is, by default, worried first and foremost about #1. If we punished that kind of thinking and voted for more selfless politicians, that's what we'd get. But we don't.

As to the party and the person being one in the same, there's some truth to that but for those who are actually active in politics you were more correct. Not only can you vote for the person, but you can have a big say in selecting the person who runs for your riding. You can also have a big say in who the national leader is.

So if you WANT to, you can absolutely step outside the party to help pick a representative that is to your liking.

(pps - spellcheck tried to edit liking to licking. Please don't lick the candidates. )

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Of course - we the voters insist on it. We only elect people who do that. We don't reward anyone who doesn't with votes. So anyone who manages to get elected by the people is, by default, worried first and foremost about #1. If we punished that kind of thinking and voted for more selfless politicians, that's what we'd get. But we don't.

As to the party and the person being one in the same, there's some truth to that but for those who are actually active in politics you were more correct. Not only can you vote for the person, but you can have a big say in selecting the person who runs for your riding. You can also have a big say in who the national leader is.

So if you WANT to, you can absolutely step outside the party to help pick a representative that is to your liking.

(pps - spellcheck tried to edit liking to licking. Please don't lick the candidates. )
Yes one can get involved in the local constituency, however membership in a party is the only way to be heard . Membership donates commitment thus conformity . Both hinder the chance to make changes . Canada is littered with well meaning people who went into politics to make positive change . Conform or get the boot .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yep, but it was never intended to be that way. The US Founding Fathers "Great Experiment" wasn't creating a democratic country, that had already been done, it was doing so with a one party covers-all system. They recognized the failings of party politics in Europe and were determined to try and avoid it. But of course it didn't take long for a bunch of disgruntled Democrats to form their own party, and at that point the experiment was over and ended in failure.

Trust a leftist to fuck up anything that's good.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Yep, but it was never intended to be that way. The US Founding Fathers "Great Experiment" wasn't creating a democratic country, that had already been done, it was doing so with a one party covers-all system. They recognized the failings of party politics in Europe and were determined to try and avoid it. But of course it didn't take long for a bunch of disgruntled Democrats to form their own party, and at that point the experiment was over and ended in failure.

Trust a leftist to fuck up anything that's good.

Is that the historical Dems or current incarnation?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Yes one can get involved in the local constituency, however membership in a party is the only way to be heard . Membership donates commitment thus conformity . Both hinder the chance to make changes . Canada is littered with well meaning people who went into politics to make positive change . Conform or get the boot .
Well that's not quite true. Donors definitely get heard and you don't need to be a member to donate. And if you Do choose to be a member to get heard, then you get access to policy conventions which FREQUENTLY see votes that the party leaders didn't sanction or want. So to suggest membership is conformity simply isn't remotely accurate, and we often see the party break into two (or three) seperate groups over issues and slog it out. You definitely don't get the boot just because you don't agree with the party executive.

And that can be on single issues, or even a range of issues. Tonnes of examples out there - the "party" was very anti gay marraige when the cpc formed in 2002 and ran in 2004 and even 06 on a plan to reopen that debate, and a very vocal group stood up and said 'This is effing stupid" and forced change, and it got dropped. One example of many.

The liberal party is a lot more 'locked' in it's ways, which tends to happen to parties over time if they don't get 'reborn' once in a while. But the ndp and the CPC are both quite open to change (for better or worse) and a small group can make a big difference.

If you think otherwise - ask Erin O'toole about that.