Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's a privilege in Canada. I'm not allowed to vote due to tens of thousands of dollars Revenue Canada says I owe them because of a viciously fraudulent audit I wasn't even informed of until AFTER the 5 year period you can challenge the findings of an audit. And surprise surprise, it was under the previous Liberal govt. As a result I haven't been allowed to vote in the last two federal elections nor the last provincial election. Any refunds I'm entitled to they snarf right up to pay the interest on the fake debt I allegedly owe them.

But yeah, those Conservatives sure are assholes.:rolleyes:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It's a privilege in Canada. I'm not allowed to vote due to tens of thousands of dollars Revenue Canada says I owe them because of a viciously fraudulent audit I wasn't even informed of until AFTER the 5 year period you can challenge the findings of an audit. And surprise surprise, it was under the previous Liberal govt. As a result I haven't been allowed to vote in the last two federal elections nor the last provincial election. Any refunds I'm entitled to they snarf right up to pay the interest on the fake debt I allegedly owe them.

But yeah, those Conservatives sure are assholes.:rolleyes:

Did you watch the video or anything, or just go by title?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Did you watch the video or anything, or just go by title?
Oh I'm sorry. I guess my experience doesn't count because it's not in a video? The thread title asks if voting is a privilege. And in Canada, like it or not voting is NOT a right under the Liberal's oppression, it's a privilege they are more than willing to take away from you for the most petty of reasons.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Oh I'm sorry. I guess my experience doesn't count because it's not in a video? The thread title asks if voting is a privilege. And in Canada, like it or not voting is NOT a right under the Liberal's oppression, it's a privilege they are more than willing to take away from you for the most petty of reasons.

If you had bothered, this was speaking about the US (as if being posted in US Politics wasn't enough of a hint).

As for your 'petty reasons', that has nothing to do with the topic so no comment.

Now maybe watch the video and comment on how the US is deciding that voting is no longer a right, but a privilege, that'd be great.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I see voting, which ever country you are in as a duty rather than those other things.

Personally I agree that it is a duty. As for right v. privilege... I'm actually torn. Voting CAN be taken away from you for various reasons, which would put it in the privilege camp, and yet voting is touted as a Right to anyone and everyone within the parameters allowed by law; whether you actually use that right or not doesn't matter.

So in the case of the US, voting has always been touted as a "Right" but now it's suggested it's not, rather it's a privilege so long as you fit certain demographics/restrictions.

And if that's the case, the US can no longer claim itself to be a "Free, Democratic" society.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If you had bothered, this was speaking about the US (as if being posted in US Politics wasn't enough of a hint).

As for your 'petty reasons', that has nothing to do with the topic so no comment.

Now maybe watch the video and comment on how the US is deciding that voting is no longer a right, but a privilege, that'd be great.
Oh dear, you think I needed to watch a video to know that was happening in the US too? Have I got news for you. Countries throughout the Western world are trying to destroy Western democracy without making it look like that's what they're doing. But thanks for your childish reaction to hearing about the fact it happens in Canada, the country you actually live in, and it's the Liberals who are guilty of it. I've really given up expecting much more from you.

You know what's really frustrating though? Watching history repeat itself as left-wing extremists slowly erode the democratic institutions the West holds dear. We saw this before with the Soviet Union before and after WW2. In fact a lot of the shit that's been going on comes straight out of the old KGB's playbook on how to bring down the West.

It discusses tactics on how to get the majority to believe they are actually in the minority. It discuses how to "infect" (my word) the Western educational system. It discusses tactics about attacking the institutions and symbols of a country. It talks about the slow, almost imperceptible erosion of rights, death by a thousand cuts so to speak. And most importantly of all, control of the media. The media can be a powerful propaganda tool, especially the news media.

You think voting rights is the only problem in the US? Think again. Gun rights are being restricted. Some states have even made self defence a criminal act. Well, at least one state did so far and that's without anyone even getting hurt or killed. And after 4 years of Democrats crying that Trump can't override state's rights, the Democrats are overriding states rights, especially when it comes to voting. Free speech is also at serious risk in the US and across the Western World.

So yeah, I didn't need no steenking video to know wtf is going on in the US. But thanks for being a patronizing twat about it.

Let me put it this way. If the State can take it away from you then it's a privilege, not a right. Not saying I agree with the sentiment, that's just how shit works. That's why extremists don't like firearms in the hands of the "sheep". It's much harder to oppress a population who are capable of defending themselves and are willing to fight back.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's probably both a right and a privilege as many jurisdictions don't have it as we know it!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Personally I agree that it is a duty. As for right v. privilege... I'm actually torn. Voting CAN be taken away from you for various reasons, which would put it in the privilege camp, and yet voting is touted as a Right to anyone and everyone within the parameters allowed by law; whether you actually use that right or not doesn't matter.

So in the case of the US, voting has always been touted as a "Right" but now it's suggested it's not, rather it's a privilege so long as you fit certain demographics/restrictions.

And if that's the case, the US can no longer claim itself to be a "Free, Democratic" society.
Once upon a time in Canada if you were incarcerated you lost your right to vote along with being able to roam free. Then, around papa turdOWE's time some politician pandering for votes decided that criminals are a potential block of votes to be exploited and presto, criminals have many more rights than law abiding citizens.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
It's probably both a right and a privilege as many jurisdictions don't have it as we know it!
Actually in Canada it's neither, it's merely an illusion. What's the point in electing representatives when said representatives are forced to either toe the party line or get kicked out of the party? Taxation without representation is tyranny.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Oh dear, you think I needed to watch a video to know that was happening in the US too? Have I got news for you. Countries throughout the Western world are trying to destroy Western democracy without making it look like that's what they're doing. But thanks for your childish reaction to hearing about the fact it happens in Canada, the country you actually live in, and it's the Liberals who are guilty of it. I've really given up expecting much more from you.

Oh Jinny, Jinny, Jinny...

I haven't said anything in this thread about what I think about Canadian voting rights or the destruction of Western Democracy what so ever. It's a US politics thread and I was sticking to that. If I wanted to talk about all countries, I'd have posted in International.

But since you LOVE to assume and be wrong about me so, so much...

I'm full aware more and more "Western Civilizations" are going down the crapper. Fascism and Dictatorships for some reason are the 'cool' thing to get into now, sadly and not enough is being done to stop it; not in the US, not in Europe, and not in Canada (oh, I said Canada?). I am well aware that voting is fucked up in Canada. Hell I'll admit I voted for Trudeau the first time believing that he'd changing how voting is done, and I'll admit I was a fucking idiot to do so. My MAIN refusal to even support his ass in any further election since HAS been his lack of dealing with the issue of voting.

I even made that bold so you wouldn't miss it. And it doesn't even have to be Trudeau; NO ONE is discussing the changes needed to voting on Canada, so that's one reason why NO ONE gets my vote and one reason why every goddamn leader of every goddamn party is trash.

You know what's really frustrating though? Watching history repeat itself as left-wing extremists slowly erode the democratic institutions the West holds dear. We saw this before with the Soviet Union before and after WW2. In fact a lot of the shit that's been going on comes straight out of the old KGB's playbook on how to bring down the West.

It discusses tactics on how to get the majority to believe they are actually in the minority. It discuses how to "infect" (my word) the Western educational system. It discusses tactics about attacking the institutions and symbols of a country. It talks about the slow, almost imperceptible erosion of rights, death by a thousand cuts so to speak. And most importantly of all, control of the media. The media can be a powerful propaganda tool, especially the news media.

I agree with you on this and it fucking sucks.

You think voting rights is the only problem in the US?

No, never have, never did; that's not the point of this post though. Too bad you missed that memo...

Think again. Gun rights are being restricted. Some states have even made self defence a criminal act. Well, at least one state did so far and that's without anyone even getting hurt or killed. And after 4 years of Democrats crying that Trump can't override state's rights, the Democrats are overriding states rights, especially when it comes to voting.

Are they now? How so?

Free speech is also at serious risk in the US and across the Western World.

Free speech, or free speech and no consequences?

So yeah, I didn't need no steenking video to know wtf is going on in the US.

Perhaps then you shouldn't have posted since watching the video was, you know, the POINT of the topic. If you weren't going to watch it, then why the hell post?

But thanks for being a patronizing twat about it.

LOLOL - the only 'twat' is you, Jinny dear, cause you got all butthurt, yet again, over something that has nothing to do with the actual topic at hand.

Let me put it this way. If the State can take it away from you then it's a privilege, not a right. Not saying I agree with the sentiment, that's just how shit works. That's why extremists don't like firearms in the hands of the "sheep". It's much harder to oppress a population who are capable of defending themselves and are willing to fight back.

Well then voting was never a right even from the get go... despite it being called so from the get go.

While I agree with you that if a 'right' can be taken away, it's not a right but a privilege, here's a question for you. If those 'rights' are baked into laws from the get go, and if you break those laws... is the government really taking the rights away, or did you just fuck yourself over by breaking those laws and thus removed your OWN rights?

Another question: guy goes to prison for drug charges, non violent. His voting rights are removed. Depending on the state, they may not be returned. Should that guy get his voting right back when he gets out, because he did his time? Or does he lose that for all his life? And then whose fault is it, the Government or the Individual (cause you know, personal responsibility...).

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Before we can address cheating in elections, we have to address candidates who lie!
Agreed that is why full forensic audits should happen across the country to see who lied Biden or Trump

Do you think Biden lied when he said he had the greatest team ever put together to steal the election?

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Voting has never been a right. If it was little kids could vote. I don’t remember ex@ctly when it changed but when I was younger prisoners lot the right to vote. Point is, anything the Government tells you you can or cannot do is not really a right, but a privilege, regardless of court rulings.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Agreed that is why full forensic audits should happen across the country to see who lied Biden or Trump

Do you think Biden lied when he said he had the greatest team ever put together to steal the election?
"Greatest" is rather a subjective word! :)