Trojan viruses on CanCon?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yesterday I signed on here twice and my Virus protection caught a few trojan viruses each time.

Does anyone have an idea of what happened?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
After the second time I signed on I decided to give CanCon a rest for the day as it caught a total of 5 trojans viruses. I thought it was too risky as well.

I ran a scan and luckily my PC was clean and it seems all were caught.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I had a similar experience. My anti-virus software reported that it caught 5 trojan viruses. I've since scanned my computer twice and it seems to be clear now. The funny thing is that I had just finished re-installing my anti-virus software a half hour before.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I had a similar experience. My anti-virus software reported that it caught 5 trojan viruses. I've since scanned my computer twice and it seems to be clear now. The funny thing is that I had just finished re-installing my anti-virus software a half hour before.

Lucky for you. Do you have auto-updates for your anti-virus?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have mine update every morning.

Do any of the Mods have any knowledge on what happened?

At this point I don't know. I didn't report the problem when it happened but at the time I wasn't sure if I got it from Can Con or one of the links on the forums. I'll do some checking. Since my anti-virus caught everything I'm really brave now....;-)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
At this point I don't know. I didn't report the problem when it happened but at the time I wasn't sure if I got it from Can Con or one of the links on the forums. I'll do some checking. Since my anti-virus caught everything I'm really brave now....;-)

I got one as soon as I pulled up the page and a virus got caught. So I signed in and the anti-virus caught two more. I did not stick around after that.

I signed on later and it caught a couple more so I figured I would not be on CanCon for the rest of the day.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I know my AV used to flag the site as housing trojans etc due to the freeware/sharware downloads available here, never seen any virus in the forums it self.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm using AVG 8.5. It updates itself every day or two at least.
I am set up the same as you Juan and I scan everyday in the wee hours. I was on a few times yesterday but never once had any warnings or any hint of a virus of any kind.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am set up the same as you Juan and I scan everyday in the wee hours. I was on a few times yesterday but never once had any warnings or any hint of a virus of any kind.

Just a few moments ago AVG produced quite a large update to the database....took it a few minutes to install.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I haven't noticed anything. AVG is on autoupdate and I just checked. there are no new updates.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
It's definitely strange that an anti-virus program would report a web page to contain virii because it's simply not possible for a web page its self to contain a virus, just to link to a site which may contain them. I know CC was flagged by McAfee as linking to unwanted executable files, all of which links are removed when they are discovered.

The only other way a web site can contain a virus is if there are screwey advertisers involved of which Canadian Content is not involved. We do not third-party executable ad code onto any pages, nor have we ever!

If you do notice pop ups or anything suspicious on the site, let me know. You more than likely already have malware on your system which inserts ads and other unwanted malware directly into web pages of any type.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's definitely strange that an anti-virus program would report a web page to contain virii because it's simply not possible for a web page its self to contain a virus, just to link to a site which may contain them. I know CC was flagged by McAfee as linking to unwanted executable files, all of which links are removed when they are discovered.

The only other way a web site can contain a virus is if there are screwey advertisers involved of which Canadian Content is not involved. We do not third-party executable ad code onto any pages, nor have we ever!

If you do notice pop ups or anything suspicious on the site, let me know. You more than likely already have malware on your system which inserts ads and other unwanted malware directly into web pages of any type.
I just went through that bit. Everytime I used a browser I got popups and they even bypassed my popup protection. I went through about 6 or 7 processes to eliminate it. (If anyone is interested in it I can provide the processes. :) )

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Could it be that A V programs err on the side of security identifying a strange script as a virus.....I know that Norton...when you uninstall Teak UI will identify the uninstall program as a malicious script and prompt you if you want to use it anyway...