This summer may see first ice-free North Pole

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I only pay attention to my "pie" chart for obvious reasons...
Yes, quite obvious, all filling no substance.

I think you would be lost anywhere in the arctic and I also dont think you have ever been there,a pic would prove me wrong.
Same with your cohorts.Lets see some pics! I have thousands.
I see you only want pics from your detractors.

I find that very funny.

So far all you have is pie charts and graphs so put up or shut up.
Put up what? Pics you collect from around the web and call your own?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Yes, we know that the Arctic set a record low for the past 33 years for the amount of ice but did anyone notice all the news stories about the Antartic setting a new record for the greatest amount of ice for the last 33 years?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Yes, we know that the Arctic set a record low for the past 33 years for the amount of ice but did anyone notice all the news stories about the Antartic setting a new record for the greatest amount of ice for the last 33 years?

I don't see how that's possible if the average global temperature is increasing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't see how that's possible if the average global temperature is increasing.

I would say that is very possible since average means some are higher and some are lower, so I would surmise that the Antarctic is lower just as the Arctic is higher.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Can a class of students have an improving grade average even if one student performs more poorly as the year progresses? Of course.

But for context, if you look at the last 33 years of ice gain in Antarctica, that amount is offset by just the last 5 years of ice loss in the Arctic. The net global sea ice area is still way down over that 33 year period.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
But for context, if you look at the last 33 years of ice gain in Antarctica, that amount is offset by just the last 5 years of ice loss in the Arctic. The net global sea ice area is still way down over that 33 year period.
Of course it is; how silly of me.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Most of the time, the Antarctic is too cold to have significant snow fall. I've never heard of a serious snow storm at -40C. When i lived in the arctic, We rarely saw snow once the temperature dropped below -30. We'd get hoar frost and light dustings of ice crystals for weeks on end, but no snow storms.

The biggest snow storms occur just below the freezing point. At -40 the air has nearly no moisture. Technically most of the Arctic and Antarctic are deserts, as per the amount of annual precipitation.

Therefore it make sense to me that as Antarctica warms up, it will have more snow during the winter and increased melting during the summer.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Most of the time, the Antarctic is too cold to have significant snow fall. I've never heard of a serious snow storm at -40C. When i lived in the arctic, We rarely saw snow once the temperature dropped below -30. We'd get hoar frost and light dustings of ice crystals for weeks on end, but no snow storms.

The biggest snow storms occur just below the freezing point. At -40 the air has nearly no moisture. Technically most of the Arctic and Antarctic are deserts, as per the amount of annual precipitation.

Therefore it make sense to me that as Antarctica warms up, it will have more snow during the winter and increased melting during the summer.
We're talking sea-ice not snowfall.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Yep. I noticed. I actually read a little more than you on it, too.

For instance;
The first is that the one percent growth per decade in the Antarctic pales next to the much faster 15.5 percent drop per decade in the Arctic. They aren’t even in the same ballpark. Not only that: while the sea ice bordering Antarctica has been growing slightly, the massive ice sheets that sit directly atop the frozen continent are shrinking, at an accelerating rate.......
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/forget-the-melting-arctic-the-sea-ice-in-antarctica-is-growing-skeptics-say-15032
In other words, what you see on top belies what's going on underneath.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Yep. I noticed. I actually read a little more than you on it, too.
How could you possibly know that I read less than you? You must be a clairvoyant or have been peeping in my windows. I'll be sure to wear my garters from now on.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Who gives a damn about the ice anyway? Animals change with the climate. Browns bears became white brown hares got white owls got white. Everyone will just turn brown again. The combines can be driven further north following the disappearing bleeding ice. Nobody cares about ice unless it's diluting a drink.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
How could you possibly know that I read less than you?
Ok, I'll amend my comment to "I probably comprehended more than you and didn't cherry-pick through the article to find some little tidbit that even remotely supports my narrow view". .
You must be a clairvoyant or have been peeping in my windows.
Nope and nope.
I'll be sure to wear my garters from now on.
Wear whatever you wish.

Now how'dja like to stick to the topic?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
About a million more square kliks of ice this year than last in the Arctic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
About a million more square kliks of ice this year than last in the Arctic.

There are undulations in every cycle!

The Canucks better get their act together muy pronto in the Arctic. There are claims to be pursued.

Ice melt is good in the Arctic, it opens up shipping channels, also we are trying to find the remains of the Franklin expedition, maybe corpses will start floating to the surface.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Ice melt is good in the Arctic, it opens up shipping channels, also we are trying to find the remains of the Franklyn expedition, maybe corpses will start floating to the surface.

19th century British Arctic exploration had the unfortunate practice of using foodstuffs from tin cans soldered shut with lead. Some think that the Franklin survivors got stuck, suffered a form of lead poisoning that impaired their judgment, and ended up wandering on the ice.