petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mead

1 kg of honey
10L water
A few grains of brewer's yeast.
Optional: cinnamon stick or fruit for flavour.

1.Boil water 20 mins, add honey, skim off any wax, cool to 25C, add yeast, leave (covered with breathable cloth) to ferment for 6 weeks warm dark mold free place.
2. After six weeks bottle, cork and let sit for another 6 weeks.
3. Invite friends over.

Makes 9L Alc content 10%

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Thanks, AnnaG.

I was about to point out that any locality in the United Kingdom, called Salisbury fades in significance to Harara, the former Salisbury, in Zimbabwe, which boasts a population of 1,600,000.

That is only your opinion, YJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just missing the cabbage now,cooked first and browned after with the potatoes and herefords corned beef.

Kakato...Corned beef and cabbage is a whole nuther dish....At least according to me mum.;-)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Mead

1 kg of honey
10L water
A few grains of brewer's yeast.
Optional: cinnamon stick or fruit for flavour.

1.Boil water 20 mins, add honey, skim off any wax, cool to 25C, add yeast, leave (covered with breathable cloth) to ferment for 6 weeks warm dark mold free place.
2. After six weeks bottle, cork and let sit for another 6 weeks.
3. Invite friends over.

Makes 9L Alc content 10%

Petros, you get good mead in Britain. I haven't seen mead here in Canada.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just missing the cabbage now,cooked first and browned after with the potatoes and herefords corned beef.

Kakato...Corned beef and cabbage is a whole nuther dish....At least according to me mum.;-)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

My moms way was to throw some cabbage in the fry pan with water and cover it and steam untill soft,drain and put in the herefords and yesterdays left over potatos(cubed) and fry untill cooked.

Theres probably lots of variations but thats a real simple meal to make and very cheap and fast.

Makes for a good dutch oven later on.;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My moms way was to throw some cabbage in the fry pan with water and cover it and steam untill soft,drain and put in the herefords and yesterdays left over potatos(cubed) and fry untill cooked.

Theres probably lots of variations but thats a real simple meal to make and very cheap and fast.

Makes for a good dutch oven later on.;-)

When it comes right down to it, there are no rules. I'm a great fan of corned beef hash and corned beef and cabbage and probably anything between....Cheers

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One of my fool proofs when we used to eat hamburger was lazy cabbage rolls... shredded cabbage, rice, hamburger, fry it all up and simmer it in tomatoes (canned, sauce, whatever you have on hand) with some spice and vinegar to taste.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Simple never-fail recipes:

Anna posted her recipe for simple corned beef hash. Much more than that would be making it not-so-simple. lol

Soup:
6 cups water
tsp of bouillon or chicken base
package of Ichiban of some sort
cup each of chopped onion, celery, and carrot
shrimp, tuna, beef, chicken, or pork bits, or whatever
bring water to a boil with the soup bases
add the rest
eat when ready

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
One of my fool proofs when we used to eat hamburger was lazy cabbage rolls... shredded cabbage, rice, hamburger, fry it all up and simmer it in tomatoes (canned, sauce, whatever you have on hand) with some spice and vinegar to taste.
I like that stuff. :D

Can of beans in tomato sauce or molasses sauce
2 European wieners cut into bite sized bits
heat till hot
serve with a salad

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Easy Tuna Casserole

1 can tuna
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package Chinese noodles
1 orance, segments cut up (or subsititute 3/4 cup peas)

Mix all in casserole bowl

Heat in casserole at 300 for 30 minutes.

Optional: mix in less noodles at start, cook and mix in rest of noodles to add a bit of crunch...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Here is a recipe for Irish Stew. This is suitable when you go camping; prepare it for the last dinner. This is an excellent way of getting rid of the leftovers.

Put water to boil in a pot on fire (you can cook it outside, on the campfire). Peel a few potatoes and add to the pot, crack a few eggs and add to it.

This makes the base. Now, add any leftovers you may have. Perhaps leftover sausages from breakfast, piece of toast, half a can of tuna, half a leftover sandwich, remove the corn from that half eaten cob and put it in there.

You can also add any seasoning you may like. Let it simmer for an hour or so., mix it with a ladle and serve.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Sounds a lot like my unrolled cabbage rolls,why go to all the trouble of wrapping the filling in a cabbage leaf when the first thing any one does when eating a cabbage roll is to tear it to pieces,i just throw it all in a pot and let it cook..

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I heard of a pretty simple peanut butter cookie recipe:

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg

You mix it in a bowl, roll it into balls and cook it on a pan in the oven, heated to 375 degrees. Should take about 10 minutes to cook.

Of course if you want that cross hatched pattern on the top, you just have to lay a fork on top of the balls to flatten them out a little bit.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Irish stew? Tuna? Eggs? Corn? roflmao

Real Irish stew:

4 lamb chops
4 medium potatoes
4 medium carrots
4 medium onions
Sprig of fresh thyme or 3ml dried thyme
450 ml of lamb stock
30 ml fresh chopped parsley
2 good squirts of Worcestershire Sauce
15 ml pearl barley
50g butter
50g flour
salt & pepper to taste

Trim some of the fat from from each of the chops and put it in a medium heated frying pan. This will melt some of the lamb fat for use in the next couple of steps.Set the oven on at 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.

Chop up the onions into rough chunks. Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 parts. Scrape the carrots then cut into larger than normal chunks.

After 5 to 10 minutes, remove the fatty pieces from the frying pan and throw them away. Fry each lamb chop in the fat for about three minutes at a medium temperature - turn half way through.

Put the onions and carrots over the lamb chops in the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, the pearl barley and the lamb stock.

Finally add the potatoes on top, don't mix them in with the other ingredients. The aim is to let them be steam cooked over the other ingredients. Add some more salt and pepper to season the potatoes. Put the casserole in the pre-heated oven and cook for 1¾ hours.

the roux:
Melt the butter on a medium heat in a pan, then whisk (or vigorously fork in) the flour. Cook for 2 minutes whisking all the time to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Take the casserole dish from the oven and pour off most of the gravy into the pan of roux.

Quickly blend the gravy and roux together with your whisk or fork. Add the thickened gravy back into the casserole and scatter the top with the parsley. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.

Put the casserole dish back in the oven for ten minutes. Serve onto hot plates.

We aren't fond of lamb so we usually use pork, but other meat is ok, too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I heard of a pretty simple peanut butter cookie recipe:

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg

You mix it in a bowl, roll it into balls and cook it on a pan in the oven, heated to 375 degrees. Should take about 10 minutes to cook.

Of course if you want that cross hatched pattern on the top, you just have to lay a fork on top of the balls to flatten them out a little bit.
Doesn't peanut butter have enough sugar in it to begin with? lol
Anyway, I might just try that, thanks. :D

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Here is an interesting recipe I got from my Indonesian doctor friend. I doubt if any of you will be able to try it (unless you visit Indonesia).

Some of you may have heard of the pitcher plant, a meat eating plant. It has tiny pitchers with fluid in it. When an insect sits on the rim of the pitcher, he is pushed inside, and digested.

Well, apparently in Indonesia they have huge, gigantic pitchers, which hold about a litre of fluid. When my friend was a kid, his grandfather took him to forest one day to show him the old ways.

He picked one of these pitchers, put some rice in it and cooked it on an open fire. The rice came out nice and fluffy. What is more the fluid gave a nice flavour to the rice. The pitcher also had plenty of insects in it, that gave the rice added flavour and added a bit of protein to it.

My friend said the rice tasted quite delicious, on its own. And I assume since each pitcher would have different types of insects (And different amounts), the flavour obtained from each pitcher would be unique.

I haven’t visited Indonesia, but if I ever do visit it, I will certainly try it (though I am told that the giant pitcher plants are quite rare these days).