Simple never-fail recipes

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Slap chop,some would like to see him inside a larger version.

Who lets a hooker beater hock your product for you? I'd have been tempted to buy a 'slapchop' or a 'shamwow' as the need for them comes up, but, the fact that they haven't pulled him from their ads since he got arrested, picks my nerves.

[end highjack/]

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Response to #16.

AnnaG, in this politically correct world, should not your recipe be called "Harare Steaks'?
I dunno. I've never heard of those. *goes googling*

Mushrooms are also good in the steak/gravy mix.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think the last name of the man who invented it changed just because the name of some country did.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Who lets a hooker beater hock your product for you? I'd have been tempted to buy a 'slapchop' or a 'shamwow' as the need for them comes up, but, the fact that they haven't pulled him from their ads since he got arrested, picks my nerves.

[end highjack/]
Oh, I know who you guys are talking about. That Vince jerk with the big mouth. I can't stand advertising like that so I don't buy their crap. We had a neighbor who got that silly putty or miracle putty or whatever it was that fat guy who died was yelling at people to buy. It turned out to be no better than other products you could get for $8 a tube in the local store. And you didn't have to pay the $15 for shipping and handling.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"I dunno. I've never heard of those. *goes googling*"

Save you the time: Salisbury, the capitol of Zimbabwe, formerly known as Rhodesia, has been renamed Harare by the same wise folks who turned rich and self-supporting Rhodesia into a beggar state and the pariah of the civilized world.

Go ahead and call me a racist.
lmao I won't do that, Jack. I told you ... I like you in spite of your being curmudgeonly irascible. :D
Anyway, I call it "Salisbury steak" still. :)

Because in this country, Salisbury Steak is what it is!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"I dunno. I've never heard of those. *goes googling*"

Save you the time: Salisbury, the capitol of Zimbabwe, formerly known as Rhodesia, has been renamed Harare by the same wise folks who turned rich and self-supporting Rhodesia into a beggar state and the pariah of the civilized world.

Go ahead and call me a racist.

Salisbury is also a city in Britain (the city in Zimbabwe was named after it). How do you know the steaks were not named for Salisbury, Britain, rather than Salisbury, Zimbabwe.

Just because you have heard only of Salisbury, Zimbabwe does not mean that there are no other Salisburys in the world.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Also, there is nothing wrong with renaming Salisbury to Harare. Many countries are doing that, they are getting rid of the names that British gave to the place names and reverting to the original names.

Thus in India, Bombay became Mumbai, Madras became Chennai, Calcutta became Kolkata. Even Ceylon became Sri Lanka.

So there is nothing wrong in renaming Salisbury as Harare ,or Rhodesia as Zimbabwe.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Knock it off! Quit hijacking the thread.
This guy called Dr. J. H. Salisbury (1823–1905) invented the recipe. And Jack never said anything about renaming some place as being wrong. His point was sarcasm at people who are politically correct.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Can of corned beef or some leftover meat
some left over potatoes or hash browns
an onion
chop onion and mix with beef and potatoes in a pan saute and serve with fruit as dessert.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Thanks, AnnaG.

I was about to point out to that any locality in the United Kingdom, called Salisbury fades in significance to Harara, the former Salisbury, in Zimbabwe, which boasts a population of 1,600,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Can of corned beef or some leftover meat
some left over potatoes or hash browns
an onion
chop onion and mix with beef and potatoes in a pan saute and serve with fruit as dessert.

lol.... it sounds like you serve this, with fruit, as a dessert.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yup. :) Sorry, was annoyed at Sir Jokey's being obtuse and hijacking the thread. I meant the leftover mixture as main meal and as a dessert, fruit.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I would have said it sounded like corned beef hash....One of my favourites. I guess you could serve whatever you wanted for dessert.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I would have said it sounded like corned beef hash....One of my favourites. I guess you could serve whatever you wanted for dessert.
Pretty much. :) I love the stuff, too. With French's mouseturd on it. The dessert I like is strawberries & cream.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

lol... yes juan, it sounded like corned beef hash. I was merely poking fun at the way Anna phrased it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol... yes juan, it sounded like corned beef hash. I was merely poking fun at the way Anna phrased it.
I come by it honestly; my Mum's Irish. lol

a quickie:
grilled cheese (preferably old or aged cheddar or else havarti) sandwich
a tin of Brunswick kippers in Louisiana Hot Sauce. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I come by it honestly; my Mum's Irish. lol

a quickie:
grilled cheese (preferably old or aged cheddar or else havarti) sandwich
a tin of Brunswick kippers in Louisiana Hot Sauce. :D

You were doing great until the kippers in Louisiana hot sauce.

Now, I love real smoked kippered herring. I even like Brunswick sardines right out of the can. Loisiana hot sauce belongs in Louisiana. I hate the stuff.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think corned beef hash has to be treated a little better. I know Anna swung at it going by but here is a simple recipe for great corned beef hash:

Ingredients
3 large potatoes cooked until just about tender and grated
one medium onion grated
one tablespoon of butter
half cup of ketchup
one can of Hereford corned beef
4 eggs

In a large frying pan Saute grated onion in the butter until tender
Add corned beef to pan and break up with a fork. When onions and corned beef are soft add ketchup and grated potato. Mix well. Cover pan and heat through. Turn corned beef mixture and make four small shallow indentations in hash and break an egg into each one. Cover and cook over low heat until eggs are set.

Enjoy... It goes great as breakfast, lunch or dinner,,

Last edited: