Simple never-fail recipes

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Actually SJP, you are talking about the Genus Nepenthes. They grow all over SE Asia, in the phillipenes, thailand, borneo, malaysia, India. I have seen pictures taken by friends of mine from travels in Borneo- Nepenthes ampullaria "dumplings" are fairly common in markets and are made exactly as you describe.

The giant Nepenthes are indeed endangered and many species are gone from the wild, but people like myself grow them and there are several attempts underway to breed stock with good genetic variability for re-introduction into the wild (most of the "extinct" species were destroyed by habitat destruction)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Irish stew? Tuna? Eggs? Corn? roflmao

Real Irish stew:

4 lamb chops
4 medium potatoes
4 medium carrots
4 medium onions
Sprig of fresh thyme or 3ml dried thyme
450 ml of lamb stock
30 ml fresh chopped parsley
2 good squirts of Worcestershire Sauce
15 ml pearl barley
50g butter
50g flour
salt & pepper to taste

Trim some of the fat from from each of the chops and put it in a medium heated frying pan. This will melt some of the lamb fat for use in the next couple of steps.Set the oven on at 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.

Chop up the onions into rough chunks. Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 parts. Scrape the carrots then cut into larger than normal chunks.

After 5 to 10 minutes, remove the fatty pieces from the frying pan and throw them away. Fry each lamb chop in the fat for about three minutes at a medium temperature - turn half way through.

Put the onions and carrots over the lamb chops in the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, the pearl barley and the lamb stock.

Finally add the potatoes on top, don't mix them in with the other ingredients. The aim is to let them be steam cooked over the other ingredients. Add some more salt and pepper to season the potatoes. Put the casserole in the pre-heated oven and cook for 1¾ hours.

the roux:
Melt the butter on a medium heat in a pan, then whisk (or vigorously fork in) the flour. Cook for 2 minutes whisking all the time to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Take the casserole dish from the oven and pour off most of the gravy into the pan of roux.

Quickly blend the gravy and roux together with your whisk or fork. Add the thickened gravy back into the casserole and scatter the top with the parsley. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.

Put the casserole dish back in the oven for ten minutes. Serve onto hot plates.

We aren't fond of lamb so we usually use pork, but other meat is ok, too.

I thought the topic of this thread was 'simple'....

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
MEAT CASSEROLE
3 lb. stew meat - beef, deer, moose
1/2 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
2 cans mushroom soup
3/4 c. sherry wine

Put in casserole and cook in 325 degree oven about 4 hours.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
This is the best beaver I have had in a long time

COUNTRY STYLE BEAVER RECIPE

2-3 lbs beaver steaks 1/2 inch thick
Bacon grease
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 medium onions
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can or 1/2 lb mushrooms

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a closable bag or 2 quart closable plastic container and shake until mixed. Add beaver and shake until well coated. Save remaining flour. Dice onions. Melt enough bacon grease in the bottom of a fry pan to sauté onions and beaver. Sauté onions and floured beaver in bacon grease, adding more grease as needed. Place beaver aside.

Combine soup and mushrooms in frying pan. Dissolve 2 to 3 heaping tbsp of seasoned flour in 2 cups cold water. Add to soup mix and simmer 5 minutes. Add beaver and onions to mix and simmer covered for 30 minutes.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Here is one I found on "Cooks.com" yesterday and when I got the the ready cooked Italian meatballs at "M&M" yesterday it had a similar recipe on the package:smile:

Meatball Stew with Tortellinis
4 cups beef broth
4 cups water
1 454-g package of tortellini (cheese)
1 lb Italian meatballs
1 cup salsa
3 cups frozen vegetables

Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add frozen tortellini and cook for 10 minutes. Add meatballs and salsa, then bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in frozen vegetables and cook until diesired tenderness.

Enjoy!!
We just added some tomato paste to thicken it up a it...

Very tasty

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a stew that I've used for Shepherd's Pie or as a stand alone stew to serve with fresh crusty rolls.

Ingredients
3 pounds of lean lamb leg cut into reasonable pieces.
3/4 cup flour
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 or 3 large bay leaves
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 can Campbells beef broth + one half can of water
1 medium onion coarsely chopped
2 large carrots sliced

A few pieces at a time, dredge meat in flour and brown in hot oil.
Put browned meat directly into Dutch Oven with a lid. Add the rest of the
ingredients and give it a bit of a stir, cover and cook at 325 degrees in the oven for two and a half hours At this point I like to add a couple dozen tiny new potatoes over the top of the stew, replace the lid and cook for another 45 minutes. This is probably the best stew I make. It is a very rich, very tasty stew, and the meat should just about melt in your mouth.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually SJP, you are talking about the Genus Nepenthes. They grow all over SE Asia, in the phillipenes, thailand, borneo, malaysia, India. I have seen pictures taken by friends of mine from travels in Borneo- Nepenthes ampullaria "dumplings" are fairly common in markets and are made exactly as you describe.

The giant Nepenthes are indeed endangered and many species are gone from the wild, but people like myself grow them and there are several attempts underway to breed stock with good genetic variability for re-introduction into the wild (most of the "extinct" species were destroyed by habitat destruction)

wow, that sounds like something that makes sense to put in the 'simple' recipe section. lol.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
well stuffing dried rice into a bug-juice-filled plant and steaming it is pretty easy you must admit, don't even need utensils to eat it!!
(and I was gonna apologize for the off-topic deal, I just forgot)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I thought the topic of this thread was 'simple'....
It is and I was correcting Sir Jokey on what REAL Irish stew is. Scroll back and you'll see what I mean. Sir Jokey seems to have something against the Irish. Certainly has a twisted idea of what the Irish eat.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Sir Jokey seems to have something against the Irish. Certainly has a twisted idea of what the Irish eat."

In all fairness to SirJosephPorter, he may have read "Angela's Ashes" and its sequel, "'Tis" by Irish author Frank McCourt.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"Sir Jokey seems to have something against the Irish. Certainly has a twisted idea of what the Irish eat."

In all fairness to SirJosephPorter, he may have read "Angela's Ashes" and its sequel, "'Tis" by Irish author Frank McCourt.

Quite so, YJ. For a change we agree on something. The recipe I have given is more than hundred years old and is widely known as Irish Stew. It is also given in ‘Three Men in a Boat’, a hilariously funny description of boating and camping holiday in England by Jerome K. Jerome (written in mid 19th century).

Now it may be that English call it Irish Stew, Irish don’t. But it is a well known recipe of Irish stew. It is mainly useful to get rid of the leftovers in a camping trip.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so, YJ. For a change we agree on something. The recipe I have given is more than hundred years old and is widely known as Irish Stew.
Evidence? I can't seem to find this famous recipe in google.
It is also given in ‘Three Men in a Boat’, a hilariously funny description of boating and camping holiday in England by Jerome K. Jerome (written in mid 19th century).

Now it may be that English call it Irish Stew, Irish don’t. But it is a well known recipe of Irish stew. It is mainly useful to get rid of the leftovers in a camping trip.
England? Well, there you are. They are widely known for their culinary artistry in taking tasty things and making them untasty. It figures they'd try blaming someone else for their lack of ability.
Funny thing is, Les's mother and father are Irish from near Dublin, my mother came from Galway and none of us have heard of this "Irish stew".

BTW Mulligan stew isn't it either as it is a variation of REAL Irish stew.

I think I'll go make myself a Hindu style ground beef and pepperoni pizza.:roll:

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
As John Cleese said one time, the English contribution to culinary arts is fish and chips. And that about sums it up. They are good at fish and chips.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Whatever. If an Irish person eats stew, the stew they eat is not necessarily Irish stew.

lol.. sounds like imprecise language has struck yet again. A stew it is, Irish stew... not in any form recognizable to anyone who understands the culinary world.

What you describe the recipe as sounding like puts me in mind of my father-in-law talking about the week-end 'fricassee' (and no, it's not fricassee by any culinary terms!) that his mom used to make. Essentially, it was to empty the contents of the fridge through the grinder, then fry or stew... whichever worked out best. lol.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol.. sounds like imprecise language has struck yet again. A stew it is, Irish stew... not in any form recognizable to anyone who understands the culinary world.

What you describe the recipe as sounding like puts me in mind of my father-in-law talking about the week-end 'fricassee' (and no, it's not fricassee by any culinary terms!) that his mom used to make. Essentially, it was to empty the contents of the fridge through the grinder, then fry or stew... whichever worked out best. lol.
Yeah, I make leftover stew, too. :) Also leftover soup.

Last edited by a moderator: