Simple never-fail recipes

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In all fairness to SirJosephPorter, he may have read "Angela's Ashes" and its sequel, "'Tis" by Irish author Frank McCourt.

I asked my mother if she ever read 'Angela's Ashes', and she replied, 'Growing up with a drunken, violent Irish father, I don't see the need to read about another one.'

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quick chili:
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans tomato soup
2 tbs chili powder
a few squirts of Worcestershire sauce
tbs vinegar
kg cubed or ground meat
couple chopped onions
couple cups chopped celery
garlic

brown meat, drain if necessary, throw all into a bucket and cook to a low boil turn down and eat when you want. I add cajun seasoning sometimes depending on who's eating it. if they want it bland, I add hot sauce to my own bowl.
serve with toast or garlic bread

Rather than two cans of tomato soup, try a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Rather than two cans of tomato soup, try a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste.
lol I haven't used soup for a long time. Hubby is daffy. lol I use my home canned tomato sauce that he even helped me can. To thicken I use instant potatoes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lol I haven't used soup for a long time. Hubby is daffy. lol I use my home canned tomato sauce that he even helped me can. To thicken I use instant potatoes.

Don't you find that instant potatoes tend to make your tomato sauce bland? Why would you not use tomato paste?;-)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I asked my mother if she ever read 'Angela's Ashes', and she replied, 'Growing up with a drunken, violent Irish father, I don't see the need to read about another one.'

Angela’s Ashes, Three men in a boat there are quite a few books which mention the Irish Stew recipe that I have given.

And it certainly sounds plausible to me. ‘Three Men in a Boat’ was written around the time of the Irish potato Famine. People were literally starving in Ireland, times were tough, so it would be reasonable for them not to waste any food, even scraps. And they may have come up with the recipe to make the leftovers palatable. So that may well have been the recipe for Irish Stew in those days.

So the literature of those times mentions the Irish stew, they call it Irish Stew, there is a plausible reason for it to be called Irish Stew. That is good enough for me; I don’t care what anybody else thinks. This is the recipe for Irish Stew (well, one of them anyway), and that is that.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Don't you find that instant potatoes tend to make your tomato sauce bland? Why would you not use tomato paste?;-)
Because I don't make it. lol Um, we like spicy chili so there's no amount of potato flakes that can make it bland. ;)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Just had a late lunch:

grilled cheese sandwich with kippers in Louisiana hot sauce. yummy!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Angela’s Ashes, Three men in a boat there are quite a few books which mention the Irish Stew recipe that I have given.

And it certainly sounds plausible to me. ‘Three Men in a Boat’ was written around the time of the Irish potato Famine. People were literally starving in Ireland, times were tough, so it would be reasonable for them not to waste any food, even scraps. And they may have come up with the recipe to make the leftovers palatable. So that may well have been the recipe for Irish Stew in those days.

So the literature of those times mentions the Irish stew, they call it Irish Stew, there is a plausible reason for it to be called Irish Stew. That is good enough for me; I don’t care what anybody else thinks. This is the recipe for Irish Stew (well, one of them anyway), and that is that.
As I said, it's probably something the English came up with. Besides, do you believe everything you read? lmao 2 books mention this "recipe". wow that's definitely a famous "Irish" recipe, alright.
Funny that none of the family of either of us have heard of this "Irish stew" and we have a large Irish family. What we call Irish stew is actually real Irish stew, not some mass of leftovers.
Anyway, what is good enough for you is irrelevant and in the same context as the Hindu beef & pepperoni pizza I mentioned. (Hint: Hindu people don't eat cows).

Irish proverb:
"Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta" lol It's along the same lines as "eist moran agus can beagan" - in order to learn, hear much and say little.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

The stewed tomatoes and tomatoe paste would be my choice Juan, they are the
key to the consistency of my spaghetti sauce, as well as the flavour, 'pure' italian style.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because I don't make it. lol Um, we like spicy chili so there's no amount of potato flakes that can make it bland. ;)

do you make the instant potatoes? lol. But I agree... in chili what difference will it make really... it's not like you posted a spaghetti sauce recipe.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
do you make the instant potatoes? lol. But I agree... in chili what difference will it make really... it's not like you posted a spaghetti sauce recipe.

I think the tomatoe paste would make the chili richer, redder and tastier,
especially the type with garlic added.
But, doesn't really matter, whatever one likes, they like, so be it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think the tomatoe paste would make the chili richer, redder and tastier,
especially the type with garlic added.
But, doesn't really matter, whatever one likes, they like, so be it.

Forgive them for they know not what they do.....You're right tall. A person likes what they like no matter how bad it sounds...;-):lol::lol::lol:....I have a sister who liked to eat butter by the tablespoonful:pukeright:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I suppose I could add my recipe for my tomato sauce. I vary the additives according to which dish I use the sauce for.

Reducing the ingredients to small serving size as I make huge batch and then can it:

3 pints tomatoes (2 of them pureed)
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion chopped fine
1 tsp powdered clove
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tbs honey
1/4 cup 2x virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Simmered till onions are cooked.

For Italian sauce I leave as is, for Chili sauce I add a tsp of cayenne and another 1/2 tsp of Cajun (plus the beans and meat and more onions chunks), and 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp chili powder. I leave 3 or 4 bottles of different types of pepper sauces on the table. :D

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I suppose I could add my recipe for my tomato sauce. I vary the additives according to which dish I use the sauce for.

Reducing the ingredients to small serving size as I make huge batch and then can it:

3 pints tomatoes (2 of them pureed)
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion chopped fine
1 tsp powdered clove
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tbs honey
1/4 cup 2x virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Simmered till onions are cooked.

For Italian sauce I leave as is, for Chili sauce I add a tsp of cayenne and another 1/2 tsp of Cajun (plus the beans and meat and more onions chunks), and 1 tbs apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp chili powder. I leave 3 or 4 bottles of different types of pepper sauces on the table. :D

That looks like what I do except I use Frank's Red Hot sauce instead of the Cajun seasoning. If I don't have honey, I'll toss in a bit of brown sugar.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That looks like what I do except I use Frank's Red Hot sauce instead of the Cajun seasoning. If I don't have honey, I'll toss in a bit of brown sugar.
:D The Frank's sits on the table for those who like it. :) Yup, we get honey locally so sometimes we are between buckets (10 lbs per bucket) so I use demerara as the sugar works just as well as the honey.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Forgive them for they know not what they do.....You're right tall. A person likes what they like no matter how bad it sounds...;-):lol::lol::lol:....I have a sister who liked to eat butter by the tablespoonful:pukeright:

When i was a little girl, I used to make salad dressing sandwitches, loved them.
Miracle Whip.
A friend of mine made peanut butter and lettuce sandwitches, seems strange.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
When i was a little girl, I used to make salad dressing sandwitches, loved them.
Miracle Whip.
I only make fun of what people eat for fun. I certainly am not one to be serious about making fun of what people eat because I happen to like onion and mustard sandwiches. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Miracle Whip.

Back in the olden days Craft used to make what they called "Sandwich Spread". It was like mayo with relish added. I used to love the stuff. For some reason I can't stand it today....;-):lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I only make fun of what people eat for fun. I certainly am not one to be serious about making fun of what people eat because I happen to like onion and mustard sandwiches. :D

You haven't lived until you've had a sandwich with mayo and thick sliced Walla Walla onion and thick sliced, seedless orange......:smile::roll: