Should Canada join the European Union?

Should Canada join the European Union?

• Hell Yeah!!

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Hell No!!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Join the USA first.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Canadian 1st and always. Be independant !!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
nein !!!

Of course you have been out of the country and have not read the papers in some time otherwise you would have a different opinion of monetary bliss with a bankrupt dissolving nation.

FLASHBACK - Obama Serves 14-State Governors With Warnings of Arrest: And why is this not front page news?

Barack Hussein Obama had served 14-State Governors in the United States, National Security Letters (NSLs) warning that the Governor’s actions in attempting to form “State Defense Forces” needs to be halted “immediately” or they will face arrest for the crime of treason. The employment of NSLs was authorized by the Patriot Act introduced by George W. Bush. Contained within the section related to these letters, it is forbidden for anyone receiving a NSL warning to even acknowledge the existence of said communication.

I have a whole trunkload of Confederate battle flags I'll sell ya.

Canada should not join the EU. There's a reason why it's called the EUROPEAN Union.

Even some European countries don't want to be in it.

So I've voted Hell No!!

Is the UK still a member ??

Thought they were trying to leave .............

UK has never considered itself part of the EU, have they?

If I had my druthers I'd druther remain the true north strong and conbot............until the next erection.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
A prof once said to me, "Anything can be debated." ;-)
I replied, "True, but not everything is worth the bother." :smile:
He went silent. :-(

The only thing I can add to this post is, "I hates meeces to pieces!"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is the UK still a member ??

Thought they were trying to leave .............

UK has never considered itself part of the EU, have they?

If I had my druthers I'd druther remain the true north strong and conbot............until the next erection.

The UK has been a member state since 1973. It wanted to join in the 1960s but the French President, Charles de Gaulle, obviously not very grateful to Britain for her part in liberating France from German rule, always kept saying "NON!"

But there is now a strong anti-EU feeling in the British populace, as evidenced by UKIP's unprecedented success in the recent county elections, where many Tory voters switched allegicance to UKIP.

Before these elections Cameron was saying he will give the British people the EU in/out referendum that most of them want only if the Tories win the next general election in 2015.

But many Tories are now calling for the referendum to be held before 2015 to try and reign in the UKIP threat to their party.

But you know what the EU's like. If the British people vote to leave the EU in a referendum, the EU will just ignore it and make us vote again and again in the referendum until we vote the "right" way, just as it forced the Irish to do over the Lisbon Treaty (EU constitution) when they rejected it in a referendum. The EU just forced the Irish to vote again in the referendum until they accepted the Treaty!

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The UK has been a member state since 1973. It wanted to join in the 1960s but the French President, Charles de Gaulle, obviously not very grateful to Britain for her part in liberating France from German rule, always kept saying "NON!"

But there is now a strong anti-EU feeling in the British populace, as evidenced by UKIP's unprecedented success in the recent county elections, where many Tory voters switched allegicance to UKIP.

Before these elections Cameron was saying he will give the British people the EU in/out referendum that most of them want only if the Tories win the next general election in 2015.

But many Tories are now calling for the referendum to be held before 2015 to try and reign in the UKIP threat to their party.

But you know what the EU's like. If the British people vote to leave the EU in a referendum, the EU will just ignore it and make us vote again and again in the referendum until we vote the "right" way, just as it forced the Irish to do over the Lisbon Treaty (EU constitution) when they rejected it in a referendum. The EU just forced the Irish to vote again in the referendum until they accepted the Treaty!

Thank you Blackleaf. Was not aware of all that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
We were - except back then they called it the British Empire. Makes no sense to go back to that sort of arrangement. It would be somewhat similar. If the EU was doing well and seemed to be doing a good job I'd be for it, but they're not.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Even more reason for Canada stay the heck out.......advanced warning provides an advantage.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We were - except back then they called it the British Empire. Makes no sense to go back to that sort of arrangement. It would be somewhat similar. If the EU was doing well and seemed to be doing a good job I'd be for it, but they're not.

The odd thing is though that even as we celebrate a difference between those days and now the difference is simply cosmetic. The same shady power that worked us then works us now, don't be fooled by the lights and cameras. The EU idea is a very old product which I bought into lock stock and barrel, at one time. The idealized package fit my wit then. I'm a much harder sell now. What we need is to go forward into the past actually.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We are already in the North American Union. Did it hurt? Did you notice it all go down?

I did, isn't it great, a brand new country, we should all be proud of the NAU a marriage which brings a message of hope and change throughout the continent. Standby for milk and honey running down golden roads. By the way, whose the King now?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I did, isn't it great, a brand new country, we should all be proud of the NAU a marriage which brings a message of hope and change throughout the continent. Standby for milk and honey running down golden roads. By the way, whose the King now?
It's like the Stanley Cup. Each elite gets to have it for a week.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Trade agreements, yes. Union, never!

I don't buy that the EU is going under but we still don't want to be that closely tied to it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The odd thing is though that even as we celebrate a difference between those days and now the difference is simply cosmetic.

When the UK went to war in Iraq we werent automatically signed up for it. Id hardly call that a cosmetic difference.

We are already in the North American Union. Did it hurt? Did you notice it all go down?

I noticed, hasnt worked out all that well. Its barely doing any better than the EU.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Also: French Guiana is part of the European Union and that borders Brazil. I don't think the Geographical distance is that big a deal.

French Guiana is part of France. If Canada wants to join the EU we should allow ourselves to be annexed by an EU country. I vote Italy. Think of the gelato.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
WLDB;1742918[B said:
]We were - except back then they called it the British Empire.[/B] Makes no sense to go back to that sort of arrangement. It would be somewhat similar. If the EU was doing well and seemed to be doing a good job I'd be for it, but they're not.

Actually, pre WW2 and definitely WW1, being part of the British Empire made a lot of sense for Canada. Besides preservign our eventual independence, access to preferential trade & Capital pools allowed for rapid infrastructure growth when it was needed.

And I'm not British...

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I voted "hell no" - Canada is a vastly different country than any in the EU.

Frist of all, our land-size alone makes us uniquely different. We would be 1 of how many countries making decisions that would affect us - decisions that might make sense for the Europeans but not for us because it wouldn't be practical.

The second is that I don't want decisions made somewhere else that Canadians would have no control over - the majority rules thingy would be an issue for me.

JMHO