Rising gas prices disreputable

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Our stock market generally doesn't care if it's a safe country or not, so long as it's not so dangerous as to be too expensive to profit from. The companies go to those countries which have a market they can exploit, and the money flows back here with pretty hefty profits. The fact that our markets are tied to the profitability of exploiting foreign markets isn't news to anyone, is it?

Remove the oil and look at the exports. There is nothing there. Without oil most of these countries didn't even have agriculture that could support their populations. Since the West has developed oil into fueling the industrial revolution, they have been able to sell resource commodities that have enabled some form of government, infrastructure and livelihood. Remove all that and you have Somalia. There is no other industry set up to cover the loss of that money.

When you go to the hospital to have the life saving surgery on your kid after an accident, you don't argue about the cost, and entitlement. You tell the doctor to do what ever they have to do and save your kid. Supply and demand control all. If the price here gets to steep, people will stop buying and find other methods of transportation. In Toronto there is an army of electric bike commuters in the warm weather. Because it's cheaper that a car, no cost parking and you pay for the fuel on your electric bill which is way cheaper than gas and the transit system,

Still there are millions of cars on the road in the GTA. Tax makes up the largest portion of the gas bill. No chance that is going to come down at all. People still buy gas. So we'll use all theirs first, then we'll look at our own.
That someone thinks that's stupid because they can't afford $1.20 a liter for gas, wait til it's up to $4.00 a liter. There will still be demand and none of the environmental blocks that are now in place will stand.

When the oil runs out in North Africa and the Middle East, the only wars there will be the tribal squirmishes that have go on since before time.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
If you don't know anyone who works in the oil industry, I can see where you wouldn't be aware of a) our involvement in Libya and b) the impact this does have on Canadian companies, but it is not a matter or rolling eyes and pretending it doesn't impact us.

Yup, a Dartmouth man and some coworkers ran ten miles through the dessert to escape with their lives. They ran to another Suncor operation, and eventually made their way out of the country to Malta.

And Libya produces something close to 2 million barrels a day, with this unrest and violence, production is down 75%. Why wouldn't that have an impact on gas prices?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Canada is #2 in proven reserves after Saudi Arabia.
List of countries by proven oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US imports more oil from Canada than any country. #2 Mexico #3 Saudi Arabia #4 Venezuela, Nigeria, Columbia, ...
Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

Economically, a middle east oil crisis would be bad for most countries, but it would be great for Canada economically especially Alberta and Saskatchewan. Unfortunately tar sands are an environmental catastrophe.

Cenovus has no interests in the middle east and is a pure play on the oil sands...
Integrated Oil Division includes all the assets within the upstream and downstream integrated oil business with its joint venture partner, as well as bitumen interests and the Athabasca natural gas assets.
Cenovus Energy Inc: TSE:CVE quotes & news - Google Finance

If the middle east settles down, so will this stock... If the middle east heats up, Western Canada would boom.

Saudi Arabia has offered to make up the differences caused by disruption of Libyan oil.
However Saudi Arabia is ruled by someone in failing health with an unclear successor....
Saudi Arabia faces succession battle amid regional turmoil

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yup, a Dartmouth man and some coworkers ran ten miles through the dessert to escape with their lives. They ran to another Suncor operation, and eventually made their way out of the country to Malta.

And Libya produces something close to 2 million barrels a day, with this unrest and violence, production is down 75%. Why wouldn't that have an impact on gas prices?

I can't even begin to express the chill I got reading the evacuation order, as hubby sat and worriedly sent e-mail after e-mail trying to track down friends and co-workers who are there right now. The industry becomes a very small place once you get into the international side of things. I was frankly offended that something that IS having such a terrifying impact is so easily dismissed out of hand by others.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't even begin to express the chill I got reading the evacuation order, as hubby sat and worriedly sent e-mail after e-mail trying to track down friends and co-workers who are there right now. The industry becomes a very small place once you get into the international side of things. I was frankly offended that something that IS having such a terrifying impact is so easily dismissed out of hand by others.

Just another sign of the old syndrome, Karrie, "screw you Jack I'm alright".

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The reality is this is all about the marketers and the exchanges. We paid a hefty fear premium for petroleum products after 9/11, and again after the US invaded Iraq and are doing so once again. There are a lot of ignorant and jumpy people who buy oil for the refineries and they get really spooky from any type of unrest. They really don't know where most of the oil is coming from. This is not to make light of the threat that ex-pats in the Middle East face: there is a real danger to them in a lot of places at various times, which is in part why working overseas is generally lucrative. But the costs of shutting in production for a short time and evacuating ex-pats is actually pretty small for most of these companies.

Capt Morgan was right in that it is partly supply and demand, but the reality is many buyers don't appreciate the security of the supply and are thus creating a false demand.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
With our resources we wouldn't need any oil (products) from Libya in the next millenium. The perpetrators of this should sent over there for a spell- might smarten them up. :roll:

"Our" resources??? Aren't you a BC boy?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Our" resources??? Aren't you a BC boy?

Absolutely and last I heard things are booming in Fort St. John. But just in case they aren't I have a son working in the patch at Drayton Valley.

Ever worked in Fort St John, Taylor, Fort Nelson?

I see you beat me to the punch Karrie:lol: Do you find some of the boys in Southern Alberta a little slow? :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Absolutely and last I heard things are booming in Fort St. John. But just in case they aren't I have a son working in the patch at Drayton Valley.

Actually, it's Fort Nelson that's the biggest right now. FSJ largely services Nelson, for hubby's company anyway.