Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
46(1) & 46(2)
Thank you. Nice and specific. I might have some issues with some of the provisions, but it's a big improvement on "anything that pisses off the current government."

Will they change the wording to "His Majesty" officially, or is it understood it applies to the monarch regardless and only said "Her" because it was a queen when the legislation was passed?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The last two elections (2019 & 2021) involve the CCP, donations to the Trudeau Foundation (Which Johnston skipped over entirely) for access to the PM (JT), and what was or wasn’t done regarding the current Gov’t (Trudeau & the Libs) about security briefings regarding this dating back to the Pre-2019 Federal Election Timeframe…& who knew what & when about this.

Johnston with his mandate from the PM stated specifically that he would not (or was not mandated to) address “who knew what & when” either in his initial report, public hearings, or his final report that would have been due at the end of October 2023.

If/When there’s a Public Inquiry, Justin Trudeau being involved up to his eyebrows in it setting (handcuffing) the mandate to exclude himself, the Liberals (who the CCP where supposedly manipulating the outcome to get the Libs re-elected but into a Minority situation), or exclude who knew what and when with respect to CSIS and other intelligence entities briefings would not be conducive to reinstating confidence in Canada’s democracy institutions. Hand in hand, Trudeau being able to “Broaden the Mandate” into the ridiculous watering down any outcome like how it made people in Ottawa feel about parking situations, ect…would be equally nonconductive to actually achieving an outcome that would help minimize foreign interference and restore faith in our democratic system with its safeguards.

I’m picturing a public inquiry with a panel of judges with subpoena powers, selected by Parliament (338 votes by elected representatives of the Canadian People) who can actually request information and subpoena witnesses…& not just have access to the information approved by the PMO, Justin Trudeau, and/or his Liberal Cabinet. This may be expensive and time-consuming but I believe that it’s necessary and important.

Much like the SNC-Lavatory or WE shenanigans, allowing the Liberals to investigate, influence, and determine the outcome would be at best a conflict of interest and most likely a travesty of justice that would be seen as the blatant smokescreen that it would turn into.
Wonder if he got advice from Biden? Biden has his own corruption to contend with but I am aware that the Dems often "advise" Trudeau, especially during elections, so I wouldn't be surprised.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Wonder if he got advice from Biden? Biden has his own corruption to contend with but I am aware that the Dems often "advise" Trudeau, especially during elections, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Well they just had Hillary address their caucus retreat . They must be flush with cash to afford her .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Thank you. Nice and specific. I might have some issues with some of the provisions, but it's a big improvement on "anything that pisses off the current government."

Will they change the wording to "His Majesty" officially, or is it understood it applies to the monarch regardless and only said "Her" because it was a queen when the legislation was passed?

I think it'll be understood to mean the current Monarch, but I'm not sure.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Those hoping for saner heads to prevail in Ottawa in the wake of David Johnston resignation might want to think again. On Monday, the Trudeau Liberals called for partisan fighting in Ottawa to be turned down a notch and accused Pierre Poilievre and his Conservatives of backing Vladimir Putin’s Russia — all within moments of each other.

Sure, the Liberals are finally starting to talk about a public inquiry into China’s interference in our election, but they are also acting like they were never against it when they’ve been dragged to this point, kicking and screaming.

“We’ve said since the beginning, that a public inquiry is an option,” Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc told the House during question period.

LeBlanc, Justin Trudeau’s all-around fixer, was having everyone on a bit by saying an inquiry was always an option. It was an option the three opposition parties, representing the majority of MPs and voters, wanted but that the government rejected after three separate votes on the matter.

Only the government can call a public inquiry and they have steadfastly refused to do so. Even on Monday, LeBlanc discussed why an inquiry was not a good idea….for the Liberal Party???

Seems LeBlanc, who was first elected in 2000, forgets that the Liberal government of Paul Martin called a public inquiry into the handling of the Maher Arar case. That public inquiry was held even though much of the information discussed involed national security, top secret intelligence and information from our Five Eyes intelligence partners.

Still, we managed to hold that inquiry without divulging information that damaged national security.

“Eight months ago, Canadians found out about the scope of Beijing’s interference in helping the Liberals during two elections,” Poilievre said in the Commons. “The Conservative Party is ready to work with all parties, including the government, in order to launch one. Will the government call a public inquiry so that we can know all of the details about Beijing’s interference?”

It’s not just Poilievre but also Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh who are calling for a public inquiry with the opposition having a say in who runs it. Over the weekend, all opposition party leaders reiterated their support for an inquiry but said whoever is appointed must be independent of the government, etc…

More at the above link.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No idea. It was only two weeks ago that Pierre Poilievre was telling the European Union (or trying to) that there are sanctions on Russia were too weak. That was back on the first I believe….That he was trying to get Europe to impose tougher sanctions. Maybe in LiberalLand that makes Poilievre backing Russia??

There will probably be something laughable (depending on your humor, I guess) on YouTube soon…& Here’s the rest of the above link:

That was the problem with Johnston, who resigned last week from his job as the Liberal government’s special rapporteur into foreign interference, from the start. There was nothing independent about Johnston or his investigation.

Surely in a country of nearly 40 million people, we can find someone qualified to head up a public inquiry into China’s interference who isn’t tied to the Trudeau government or any of the other parties. Finding someone all parties can agree on is vital to turning down the partisan atmosphere, as the Liberals claim they want to do.

Of course, another way to make this less partisan is for the Liberals to stop acting like they are a guilty party. They’ve been the only party opposed to a public inquiry for months, a fact that — when combined with their other actions — has made them look guilty and like they were using the levers of government to protect themselves rather than the country.

So, a request to all politicians as we hopefully head towards a public inquiry: Put your country and our democracy ahead of your party’s short-term goals.

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why are sanctions tacked to a budget?
Ugh… walk and chew gum and pat belly and rub head, etc…

I totally missed the above, clue to an omnibus budget bill so that if you’re voting against the budget, you’re voting against… ridiculous crap that shouldn’t be attached to a budget. My bad.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ugh… walk and chew gum and pat belly and rub head, etc…

I totally missed the above, clue to an omnibus budget bill so that if you’re voting against the budget, you’re voting against… ridiculous crap that shouldn’t be attached to a budget. My bad.
Yes. Therenis nothing stopping the linebacker from tabling snctions separately.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes. Therenis nothing stopping the linebacker from tabling snctions separately.
This is sorta CBC-ish in the editing, but I think I may have found the clip. It’s in the last 30 seconds & cuts off before a reply or rebuttal can be made:
I’ve been working all day so I haven’t had a chance to look at anything. Is this the proposed budget or did the NDP/Libs punch it through yet? Has the interest rate jumped yet with the airing of the Lib/NDP budget yet?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is sorta CBC-ish in the editing, but I think I may have found the clip. It’s in the last 30 seconds & cuts off before a reply or rebuttal can be made:
I’ve been working all day so I haven’t had a chance to look at anything. Is this the proposed budget or did the NDP/Libs punch it through yet? Has the interest rate jumped yet with the airing of the Lib/NDP budget yet?
Yeah thats the clip I saw at breakfast.