Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is new within the last couple minutes:

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Sunday he'll work with his fellow opposition leaders to help shape a potential public inquiry into foreign meddling in Canadian elections — including who might lead it.

(The unified votes in Parliament, except for the Libs, have already demonstrated that all the opposition parties are on the same page, more or less, already & have been for months)

"I will work with our opposition colleagues to make sure that the person who fills that role is independent and unbiased in doing a thorough and public investigation," Poilievre told reporters during a press conference Sunday.

He said the person leading a potential public inquiry would need to have no ties to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau or the Trudeau foundation, no ties to foreign dictatorships and have a "track record on non-partisanship and neutrality."

(Removing the ability or appearance of the Liberals investigating themselves again would go far to reinstating confidence in our democratic institutions)

On Saturday, Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government is “open” to a public inquiry — after the Liberals previously accepted David Johnston's recommendation against holding one — but said opposition parties need to provide input on the inquiry's leadership, terms of reference and how it would handle sensitive intelligence information.

LeBlanc said the government wants to move quickly to work with opposition parties on the future of what he mostly referred to as a "public process" (=not necessarily a Public Inquiry) to investigate and review foreign interference. Johnston had intended to hold a series of public hearing on the issues, which differs from a potential public inquiry…

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ill lead this shit and Ill do it for $750 per day (1/2 price).
You and 12 others if I had my way, but what do I know?

The Liberal government says it is willing to hold a public inquiry on allegations that China meddled in two recent federal elections, but it wants the opposition parties to come up with its terms of reference, timeline and potential leader.

Poilievre says he wants the government to call a public inquiry quickly, and before the next federal election.

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc says a public inquiry into foreign interference “has never been off the table,” following the sudden resignation of special rapporteur David Johnston. It’s also never been on the table beyond lip service, so time will tell as another three months were wasted on the Johnston fiasco.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Me and rope.

Oh good, Trudeau has an out. Call an election.
I meant a panel (instead of just one retired judge) totalling into an odd number, & not 7 of 13 being Liberal appointees from the MINORITY position they hold in Parliament on a PUBLIC Inquiry, but I get where you’re coming from.

For example, if lead by 13 people for this inquiry:
Liberals at 156 Seats: 6
Conservatives at 115 Seats: 4-5
NDP at 25 Seats: 1
Bloc Québécois at 32 Seats: 1
Green Party at 2 Seats: They can listen from the hallway with a glass held up to the door (?) or they’re thrown a token 1?

Or….they can do the spread based upon the actual percentage of Canadian Voters that voted for each party in the last two Federal elections averaged together, but I can’t see the Liberals EVER going for democratic proportional representation, because it’s 2015-ish…or something like that….as those 13 would look more like this:
Liberals- with 4
Conservatives- with 5
NDP- with 2 (maybe 3, but much closer to 2)
Bloc- with 1
PPC- (Seriously) with 1
Greens- listening from the hallway holding a glass up to the door still…

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I don’t know Dominic’s backstory, but his position in Cabinet due to his Fathers Surname? “Say it isn’t so!?!” Oh well…

Most of what I know about this dude is based upon hearing him in Parliament parroting nonsense on YouTube in all honesty. He comes across like he’s got a USB Slot on the back of his neck.

He's pretty much die hard Acaidan French Liberal, family generational, father was GG (Romeo LeBlanc). Big time political family in NB.

I might cut him slack if he actually represented everyone in his riding but... nah, us English folks are SOL on that score.

Reactions: 55Mercury

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1686520274045.jpeg
I mean, if the push is for “Remote” Parliamentary Sitting…where does the Green Party stand on that?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's pretty much die hard Acaidan French Liberal, family generational, father was GG (Romeo LeBlanc). Big time political family in NB.

I might cut him slack if he actually represented everyone in his riding but... nah, us English folks are SOL on that score.
Get to the back of the Trudeau Bus! Got it. At least you’re inside of it instead of being thrown under it.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Get to the back of the Trudeau Bus! Got it. At least you’re inside of it instead of being thrown under it.

Eh, not really? Yes, I've "Defended" Trudeau before, but only in situations where he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't, so it's not really fair to go out for calling for his nuts.

But when he legit deserves flack, I'm all for it and support it.

Hell, right now the sooner he GTFO, the better (except there is no one to take over if he did cause Singh nor PP is worth being PM either)

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Eh, not really? Yes, I've "Defended" Trudeau before, but only in situations where he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't, so it's not really fair to go out for calling for his nuts.

But when he legit deserves flack, I'm all for it and support it.

Hell, right now the sooner he GTFO, the better (except there is no one to take over if he did cause Singh nor PP is worth being PM either)
I meant NB in General but I guess with Higgs as Premier, it’s probably going under the bus before it gets invited inside. My mistake. 😉

Well, if you rule out Trudeau/Singh and Poilievre, that leaves (from the current crop) Blanchet (who Only represents Quebec) and Elizabeth May with her two seats….so Elizabeth May by default I guess.
Would it be mandatory that Canadians become anti-Semitic as well as photoshopping plastic straws out of our old pictures? Would she Co-PM (?) with Jonathan Pedneault like she’s Co-Captaining the Green Party with him? Has he ever been elected by any Canadians for anything yet? Would it matter?

(How Dysfunctional do we look from the outside looking in?)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I meant NB in General but I guess with Higgs as Premier, it’s probably going under the bus before it gets invited inside. My mistake. 😉

Oh well that most definitely. :D

Well, if you rule out Trudeau/Singh and Poilievre, that leaves (from the current crop) Blanchet (who Only represents Quebec) and Elizabeth May with her two seats….so Elizabeth May by default I guess.

Sadly. Which means... no one is worthy of PM.

Would it be mandatory that Canadians become anti-Semitic as well as photoshopping plastic straws out of our old pictures? Would she Co-PM (?) with Jonathan Pedneault like she’s Co-Captaining the Green Party with him? Has he ever been elected by any Canadians for anything yet? Would it matter?

I don't know much about the Fed greens, so honestly, I don't have a clue.

(How Dysfunctional do we look from the outside looking in?)

I'd say very, but then we look dysfunctional now so...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oh well that most definitely. :D
Yep. Welcome to the AB/Sk Club that doesn’t have an ON population.
Sadly. Which means... no one is worthy of PM.
Someone has to take the responsibility that comes with the double salary and gold plated pension…so we gotta pick one (& yeah, in theory, at one point in time, we’d vote for a party & then then they’d select a leader…but that’s not a reality any longer).
I don't know much about the Fed greens, so honestly, I don't have a clue.
You’re not missing much. It’s bizarrely beyond a goat rodeo. Check out the last 2 minutes even from the video in the previous post#531. It’s…enlightening. I think she claimed that she was hopped up on Jet lag, Goofballs, and cough syrup or something non-alcoholic following that whatever it was.
I'd say very, but then we look dysfunctional now so...
Just the curiosity factor on my part.

I’m still waiting to see how this whole Chinese election interference thing will pan out. 😁

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I remember at the time expecting a loooong Shepherds Crook to extend out and assist Lizzie May in exiting stage right.
oh yeah, stage right... it's why I don't go up there! would probably look like Biden looking at his left hand then his right then back at his left before walking in the wrong direction then getting gaffed by that Shepherd's Crook. lol

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The handling of this whole thing has been such a mess for months. Check out this prediction from a month ago that to date is accurate-ish if Trudeau hadn’t insisted upon ignoring Parliament & Canadians:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, going forward:

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said on the weekend that the government remained open to a public inquiry. On Sunday, Mr. Poilievre told reporters that Mr. Trudeau “needs to call it right away. He needs to get someone who is job-ready, and we need to have terms of reference that have tight timelines.” Exactly right.

But would the Leader of the Official Opposition work constructively with the government and with other opposition leaders to establish those terms and find someone to lead the inquiry? We may be about to discover whether Mr. Poilievre can build, not just wreck.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh finds himself in an awkward spot. While repeatedly calling for a public inquiry into election interference, he has maintained his party’s supply and confidence agreement with the Liberals.

Now that Mr. Johnston has stepped down, how can Mr. Singh possibly prop up the government if the Prime Minister continues to delay?

But the greatest burden of responsibility clearly rests with Mr. Trudeau himself. He must confront the serial failures of his China policy, from his initial eagerness to court a trade deal to his reluctance to acknowledge China’s genocidal human-rights abuses, to his foot-dragging in banning Huawei from fifth-generation technology to his unwillingness to confront the issue of election interference.

In his efforts to deflect, delay and distract, the Prime Minister has undermined public confidence in our democracy and tarnished Mr. Johnston’s legacy. He should never have called upon the former governor-general, who was 81 and in retirement, to serve in the first place.

As former cabinet ministers Jody Wilson-Raybould, Jane Philpott and Bill Morneau can attest, Mr. Trudeau has a tendency to use and discard people.

With Mr. Johnston’s departure, the Prime Minister now has no choice but to convene a public inquiry and consult the opposition leaders on who should head it – if, that is, anyone qualified can be found willing to accept that now-poisoned chalice. Any further delay would warrant an immediate vote of non-confidence in his government.

With the House soon to break for its summer recess, Mr. Trudeau may be tempted to continue ragging the puck. That would confirm he would rather undermine public confidence in elections than confront the issue of Chinese interference. Nothing could be more politically damaging.

Some good may come out of all of this: a tougher, more realistic foreign policy toward China; new measures – preferably through an inquiry – to strengthen electoral integrity.

(Two Globe and Mail journalists who have spent months breaking stories on foreign interference in Canadian politics, based on national-security sources and classified documents, have received the Charles Lynch Award for outstanding national affairs coverage.)