Racist Anti-Obama Cartoon From NY Post

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The cartoon was offensive, but as you say we have freedom of speech. The Post is being boycotted and protested for publishing it and that is all part of free speech. I think as you mentioned every political party has been guilty sometime or another. This was not the first time and it won't be the last.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
The cartoon was offensive, but as you say we have freedom of speech. The Post is being boycotted and protested for publishing it and that is all part of free speech. I think as you mentioned every political party has been guilty sometime or another. This was not the first time and it won't be the last.

So, everyone who boycotts the Post is a racist who equates Blacks to Monkeys? Is that what you are saying - that they are praticing free speech and freedom of choice to be bigots? :idea:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Has Obama made any comment on this. He likely doesn't even give a Rat's a$$.

And why should he? If President started responding to each and every criticism leveled at him, he won’t have time to do anything else.

After all, does the elephant notice a Poodle or Chihuahua yipping at him?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think it's fair to let someone who feels the need to show one and all that they remain part of an old problem after so many have simply moved on. The cult of personality draws attention from all vectors.
We know where the Post stands, thanks bye.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

That didn't answer the question so I'll ask it again.

You have called the cartoon racist. You obviously equate the monkey and Obama's race. Why?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Because I read the article:

"NEW YORK — A New York Post cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police drew outrage Wednesday from civil rights leaders and elected officials who said it echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.
The cartoon in Wednesday's Post by Sean Delonas shows two police officers, one with a smoking gun, standing over the body of a bullet-riddled chimp. The caption reads: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill.""

What do you think?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Where have you been, Gopher? That movie was quite well known when it was made. If you say you are an American, it is even more remarkable that you haven’t heard of it.

Last time I went to the movies: May, 1991.
Yes, I kinda 'square', that is, not with the current trends.

The cartoon may be racist, in bad taste, may even show hatred against Obama, all that is beside the point. They have freedom of speech in USA; The Post had a perfect right to print the cartoon.

When the Dixie Chicks said something about Bush they were attacked by the right wing press and everybody else. Their lives were even threatened! Thankfully, there were a few people on this forum who defended them.

To those who don’t like the cartoon, don’t buy or read the Post. As somebody said, if by now anybody hasn’t figured out that Murdoch is a racist (or at least a Republican), he has been living in a bubble.

That point's been made already: the boycott has begun and it is going to hurt Murdoch's already faltering business.

But the point is, it is a question of freedom of speech. No doubt there have been equally offensive cartoons from the left.

The media have not portrayed any politician or political type figure as he victim of a shooting.

Note that New Yorkers have responded with a boycott and not with threats like those made against the Dixie Chicks.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Gopher.... How dare you display the very epitome of satire - one Alfred E Newman - then fret of racism in same because the PC crowd now feel a need to tippy-toe around editorial cartoonery. When one is robbed of a giggle, political correctness isn't much better than reverse racism. Bailiff! Whack his ... um ... well, you know....

LOL!

But if what you say is true, then the far right had no business getting their panties all a twisted over what the Dixie Chicks said about Bush.

Agreed?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I have to admit, when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Oh Damn, the lefties have their panties all in knot over nothing again"

Then I saw the cartoon.

Whoa!

it is definitely pushing it.........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That didn't answer the question so I'll ask it again.

You have called the cartoon racist. You obviously equate the monkey and Obama's race. Why?

Cannuck, there is a clear history of racist attacks on Afro-Americans in the USA that uses the comparison betweem blacks and apes.....that one knows of those incidents, and sees a parallel here does NOT make them a racist.

Good Lord, I'm defending Gopher!!!!!!

I have lost it.:lol:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I still don't think the monkey is meant to represent Obama. I think it's a shot at the bill itself. I mean, what is the stimulus bill? "Spend a bunch of money on a bunch of stuff."

See, any monkey could have written that. I think that's the message. Nothing to do with race.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What do you think?

I think that I make my own mind up. Just because somebody else thinks it's racist, doesn't mean that it's racist. Bush was likened to a chimp many times. Even if the chimp in the cartoon was supposed to be Obama, so what? If it's not a racial thing to make Bush a chimp it isn't a racial thing to make Obama one either.