Prince Charles: reform capitalism to save the planet

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

In a speech to business leaders in London, the Prince said that a “fundamental transformation of global capitalism” was necessary in order to halt “dangerously accelerating climate change” that would “bring us to our own destruction”.

He called for companies to focus on “approaches that achieve lasting and meaningful returns” by protecting the environment, improving their employment practices and helping the vulnerable to develop a new "inclusive capitalism".

In a politically-charged speech at the Inclusive Capitalism conference, the Prince said: “I remember when the Iron Curtain came down there was a certain amount of shouting about the triumph of capitalism over communism. Being somewhat contrary, I didn't think it was quite as simple as that. I felt that unless the business world considered the social, community and environmental dimensions, we might end up coming full circle.”

He called on businesses to focus on the long-term and make “an authentic moral commitment to acting as true custodians of the Earth and architects of the well-being of current and future generations”.

Prince Charles: reform capitalism to save the planet - Telegraph

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What private business has Charles run to make him such an expert?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In spite of the fact that Chucky uttered those words, he is right. Unbridled greed will be the death of us all. Capitalism without compassion proves industry is and government is run by psychopaths. I kinda like that right wingers support psychopaths. Helps ordinary people move away from them. "Beware of your strange uncle. He is a psychopath supporter."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Duchy of Cornwall.

Clearly and unmistakably a hereditary labour pool. Capitals only function is to obtain labour. I wonder if the Dukes postulated reform might not mean obtaining labour at less cost? Which in fact is the only tweek possible with capital. Seeing as how he has an education I'm confident that he knows this and as usual he's jerking the labouring limeys as is his tried and true tradition. Cheap and cheaper labour, no doubt he's in line for a Nobel prize in economics.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
In spite of the fact that Chucky uttered those words, he is right. Unbridled greed will be the death of us all. Capitalism without compassion proves industry is and government is run by psychopaths. I kinda like that right wingers support psychopaths. Helps ordinary people move away from them. "Beware of your strange uncle. He is a psychopath supporter."
Capitalism has brought the world out of slavery and tyranny. Which country is better off when they don't practise at least a little bit of capitalism?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Capitalism puts people out of good-paying work in the never satisfied reach for greater profit

Tsk-tsk... 'nother shot to your greedy little tenderlies, Wall-eye?

Where'd Caterpillar go? Kidd Met? Why does Legion Branch 22 have to contemplate selling their building? Thank profit sniffers and capital tapeworms....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Capitalism has brought the world out of slavery and tyranny. Which country is better off when they don't practise at least a little bit of capitalism?

Debt replaced slavery and democratization by carpet bombing replaced tyranny. Actually that's bu llchit, both of those nasties are bigger and meaner than ever before.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Clearly and unmistakably a hereditary labour pool.

Lots of businesses are hereditary. The Duchy of Cornwall is no different to many other businesses in Britain. Look at all the businesses, in Britain anyway, whose names include the words "& Sons" - Climpson & Sons; Kamm & Sons; Harney & Sons.

Look at the British baking firm Warburtons.

Ellen and Thomas Warburton bought a small grocery shop in my hometown of Bolton in 1876. The business grew and Thomas' nephew Henry joined the business when he was 16 and became a skilled baker by the age of 25. New technology drove the business forward and Henry continued to expand the business. The location of the bakery was moved four times in 25 years finishing with the opening of Back o'th' Bank Bakery opened by Rachael Warburton in July 1915. Henry became involved in local affairs within the community and stood as a Liberal (now LibDem) candidate. He became mayor of Bolton. Henry Warburton died in 1936.

Today Warburtons - which expanded outside of Bolton and the Manchester area to cover much of the rest of the UK where it had previously been unheard of in the late 1990s - is still run by the Warburton family. It has been a family run business ever since it was set up.

So it's no different to the Duchy of Cornwall in that respect.

Charles also has his Duchy Originals from Waitrose range, which is linked to the Duchy of Cornwall.

Duchy Originals from Waitrose (Formerly Duchy Originals) is a brand of organic food sold mainly in Waitrose stores in the United Kingdom, and small independent stores. The Duchy Originals company was originally set up by Charles, Prince of Wales, in 1990 and named after the Duchy of Cornwall estates that are held in trust by the Prince of Wales.

There are two other brands, Duchy Selections and Duchy Collections. Duchy Selections is a range of premium free-range (but not organic) pork and fish products and mineral waters, and Duchy Collections is a range of high quality non food products.

The products are made from ingredients grown within the Duchy of Cornwall.

Last edited: