Pierre Poilievre’s callous courting of Canada’s ‘deplorables’ (left wing in full panic mode)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Which speech? I've heard one that she gave in Spain and that was scary AF.

How about you look up the "Brothers of Italy".

EVERY report about her is that she's far right. I'll let you google and pick your 'poison', as it were, on which report to read from.

She's praised Mussolini - and if that's not fascist then you really, REALLY don't know what fascism is.

This woman is a danger to a lot of people and I'd rather be on the side of those who opposed her, kind'a like those who opposed Mussolini and Hitler.
Uh huh, but Franco was obviously cool, right?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
They're both horrible leaders who should never have been elected. They both are too concerned for their ego's and their 'appearances' to focus on the country they were supposed to lead.
Yeah, because spending 3 1/2 years defending yourself against a fake Russian collusion claim makes it super fucking easy to focus on the country, dipshit.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Which means you're full of it because fascism is NOT left.

What does fascism mean in simple terms?

noun. Britannica Dictionary definition of FASCISM. [noncount] 1. or Fascism : a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government.
So you're saying that Trudeau is a fascist.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually she posted that before Harry quoted it. I just found it funny that she insisted Trudeau is not right-wing and then proceeded to post a definition of fascism that describes Trudeau to a "T".
She just reinforces what I knew all along , it isn’t Trump Derangement Syndrome it is really Conservative Derangement Syndrome .

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Actually she posted that before Harry quoted it. I just found it funny that she insisted Trudeau is not right-wing and then proceeded to post a definition of fascism that describes Trudeau to a "T".

Yeah, it doesn't describe Trudeau to a T; pretty sure we're still allowed to disagree with the government. (And yeah, you're gonna bring up the CONvoy... whine, whine, blah, blah... their stupid bullshit was not because they disagreed with the government.)

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Blah, blah, blah yourself.......Trudeau has done a hell of a lot more than the truckers thing to prove he's a fascist.
It's true that as a person trudeau is a fascist. He hasn't exactly hidden it, he's expressed his admiration for totalitarian regimes, his family was great friends with Castro. He viciously attacks anyone who speaks against him or his messages, etc. etc

Fortunately our system does prevent him from going all out with that fantasy and does keep him in check a fair bit. Sure - he pulled the emergency act but he was forced to drop it when he found out the senate wasn't going to go for it. God knows he gets away with what he can but while he dreams of being a true facist thankfully our system prevents that.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Franco? If you mean Francisco Franco, who the hell thinks he's cool?
Everyone who whines about fascist Hitler and Mussolini. Never hear them cry about Franco who ruled Spain until his death in 1973 or 1974. Think about that a moment. Almost 30 years after the end of WW2 there was still a fascist state in Europe that nobody was warring against. Why not?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Everyone who whines about fascist Hitler and Mussolini. Never hear them cry about Franco who ruled Spain until his death in 1973 or 1974. Think about that a moment. Almost 30 years after the end of WW2 there was still a fascist state in Europe that nobody was warring against. Why not?

Mostly because Franco didn't do anything major outside of Spain to warrant people's attention overmuch.

Like you said, after WWII he was still a fascist state, but he did SFA in the 'grand scheme of things' to get noticed.

Well, here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Franco

"In post-civil war Spain, Franco developed a cult of personality around his rule by founding the Movimiento Nacional. During World War II he maintained Spanish neutrality, but supported the Axis—whose members Italy and Germany had supported him during the Civil War—damaging the country's international reputation in various ways. During the start of the Cold War, Franco lifted Spain out of its mid-20th century economic depression through technocratic and economically liberal policies, presiding over a period of accelerated growth known as the "Spanish miracle". At the same time, his regime transitioned from a totalitarian state to an authoritarian one with limited pluralism. He became a leader in the anti-Communist movement, garnering support from the West, particularly the United States.[12][13] As the dictatorship relaxed its hard-line policies, Luis Carrero Blanco became Franco's éminence grise, whose role expanded after Franco began struggling with Parkinson's disease in the 1960s. In 1973, Franco resigned as prime minister—separated from the office of head of state since 1967—due to his advanced age and illness. Nevertheless, he remained in power as the head of state and as commander-in-chief. Franco died in 1975, aged 82, and was entombed in the Valle de los Caídos. He restored the monarchy in his final years, being succeeded by Juan Carlos, King of Spain, who led the Spanish transition to democracy. "

Basically, he didn't do shit to get notice.

That DOESN'T mean he wasn't fascist, that DOESN'T mean he was a fucking horrible person that Spain still has lingering after effects even to today (like the far right who supported Meloni).

So if you've issues with Franco and Hitler and Mussolini, you'll have no problem saying this Meloni is a fascist who should never have been elected to power, right?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Mostly because Franco didn't do anything major outside of Spain to warrant people's attention overmuch.
So you're saying you have no problems with Facists as long as they don't do anything outside of their own country "Overmuch"? So - your problem isn't with fascism, it's with how it may or may not affect your personal life.

So - presumably you DON'T see trump as a facist or anything like that seeing as he hasn't done 'overmuch' outside his country yet you obsess about him.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saddam Hussain didn’t do much except fight with his immediate neighbours being Iran and Kuwait outside his own borders, and he didn’t even fight with them at the same time.

The difference is that Spain didn’t have anything that America actually needed.

Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Saddam Hussain didn’t do much except fight with his immediate neighbours being Iran and Kuwait outside his own borders, and he didn’t even fight with them at the same time.

The difference is that Spain didn’t have anything that America actually needed.

I think Saddam was more your 'run of the mill' dictator, if you want to speak in general terms, especially if you look at others in the ME.

That doesn't mean he wasn't a terrible fucking human being and he needed to be gotten rid of, but it's like "oh he's from Iraq, okay" and his being a dictatorship wasn't a surprise. Throw it to somewhere in Europe and it'd shock people. IMO it's all along the lines of "Europe should know better" while "The ME is backwards thus this shit is expected."

But also true, Spain didn't have anything ANYONE needed after WWII, and Franco keeping his country semi-neutral allowed him a 'pass' as it were. But Franco is like any dictator or fascist; horrible fucking people, should not be allowed power and should be gotten rid of ASAP. The problem is a lot of them now throw out 'elections' as if that helps makes them legitimate (it doesn't) and, IMO, it keeps the rest of the world from stepping in beyond diplomatic condemnations and sanctions. Which unfortunately means we get to sit back and watch that country's society turn to shit.

Even Saddam wasn't seen as a "threat" beyond the Gulf War, until Bush's people lied about WMD's and used that as the excuse to go in and take him out (not that this helped, either). But then the ME is a whole other world, you could say, and how things were/are done there need to be carefully considered.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think Saddam was more your 'run of the mill' dictator, if you want to speak in general terms, especially if you look at others in the ME.
Saddam in Iraq was ‘convenient’ in that he wasn’t a Saud or from Saudi Arabia, and he wasn’t an angel (none of them are), so America could justify stepping
That doesn't mean he wasn't a terrible fucking human being and he needed to be gotten rid of, but it's like "oh he's from Iraq, okay" and his being a dictatorship wasn't a surprise.
Oh? Re people in Europe being surprised…about dictators in Europe.
Throw it to somewhere in Europe and it'd shock people.
Europe isn’t as Lily White in its history as they might want the world to believe.
IMO it's all along the lines of "Europe should know better" while "The ME is backwards thus this shit is expected."
Islam is currently ass-backwards, but the Middle East was also a centre of learning at one point…. The origin of our numerical system that most of the world is still using, etc….then Allah…. but it’s really only being the last hundred years where it has really gone to shit…. depending on who you talk to you exempting the European opinion regarding the Crusades.
But also true, Spain didn't have anything ANYONE needed after WWII, and Franco keeping his country semi-neutral allowed him a 'pass' as it were. But Franco is like any dictator or fascist; horrible fucking people, should not be allowed power and should be gotten rid of ASAP.
Spain wasn’t an oil exporter, so Meh… horrible fucking people rise to the top of the power structure time after time after time. European royalty we’re probably not the most benevolent folks to become royalty.
The problem is a lot of them now throw out 'elections' as if that helps makes them legitimate (it doesn't) and, IMO, it keeps the rest of the world from stepping in beyond diplomatic condemnations and sanctions. Which unfortunately means we get to sit back and watch that country's society turn to shit.

Even Saddam wasn't seen as a "threat" beyond the Gulf War, until Bush's people lied about WMD's
Because
and used that as the excuse to go in and take him out (not that this helped, either).
Yes, I agree that Kuwait’s oil fields where a significant resource to American at that point.
But then the ME is a whole other world, you could say, and how things were/are done there need to be carefully considered.
The Middle East even in the 50s and 60s was a very different world than it is now in Burka-Burka-Stan (before the last month of protests anyway which will be interesting to see which way the wind blows afterwards).