Pickup truck drivers are the worst drivers on the road..

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Actually, minivans and SUVs fall into the same category as pick-ups as they're classed as trucks thus don't have to meet the same safety standards as passenger cars.

A loose nut can be behind any steering wheel. Pickups only get most attention because they're so much bigger.
Exactly.
Besides that, I've seen supposedly "professional" drivers do stupid things with patrol cars, fire trucks, taxicabs, buses, student training cars, semis, etc.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We have a 4x4 F350 ford pickup, Diesel, as we pull a boat, and we did have an RV. I love that
truck, as does all of our family, they all have their name on the list to buy it when we
are finished with.
We have hauled wood from the mountain, take garden brush away, haul dogs in crates,
travel in it with a canopy full of stuff, etc.
We drive it responsibly, and that is what is important.
Quite right, Tal. There's lots more responsible and conscientious drivers than idiots that use pickups.
Juan was just ranting.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
He said 'the nissan 4 cyl motors are one of the most powerful small
motors on the market, and I can verify that. ' That was the reason for the 'judgemental' response, definitely not 'ignorant'
Making the comment that she probably recklessly zips in and out of traffic is certainly ignorant because you probably have never seen her drive.

Idiot.

And THAT isn't an ignorant statement because I HAVE seen you being an idiot here. Um, no insult intended. :)

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Back to the topic.....

In the almost two weeks we were in Alberta, almost all the people doing boneheaded things were driving big pickups. Admittedly, most of these drivers were in Alberta. I Calgary I'm sure everyone has a pickup. Remember, Calgary has a population of about a million people so it is not a little cow town anymore. I can understand people on a ranch having a pickup but in town, they don't fit any of the parking spots and they are not a highway vehicle.
hehehe Probably a more efficient way of toting your 5th wheel travel trailer, boat, etc. than any other type of vehicle on or off highway. I think it would be funny to see your lil 50 MPG Mini or Honda Civic toting a trailer under a 25' cruiser up the Coquihalla or the Salmo Creston highway. lmao

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I am a pick-up truck driver. I'v never had a motor vehicle accident. I don't think the vehicle makes the driver, I deeply resent the thread title. I'm considering formal protest and may seek damages.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I am a pick-up truck driver. I'v never had a motor vehicle accident. I don't think the vehicle makes the driver, I deeply resent the thread title. I'm considering formal protest and may seek damages.

If you ever collect on the times that you have said this.....you'll be set for life.
:lol:

regs,
scratch

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

BS. We haven't had one pickup truck driver on here defending his 400 odd horsepower, Hemi-engined, 12mpg, 4wd Dodge Ram. I'm sure that Ford and GM also make their version of these damn things. These are not business trucks, these are "macho toys" for little boy mentalities.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
BS. We haven't had one pickup truck driver on here defending his 400 odd horsepower, Hemi-engined, 12mpg, 4wd Dodge Ram. I'm sure that Ford and GM also make their version of these damn things. These are not business trucks, these are "macho toys" for little boy mentalities.

Why should anyone have to defend their choice in toy? What makes your choice the right one? A very long time ago I heard: drive like you're the only one with brains. It's amazing the number of times you'll be right.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why should anyone have to defend their choice in toy? What makes your choice the right one? A very long time ago I heard: drive like you're the only one with brains. It's amazing the number of times you'll be right.

Defend their choice??? Why don't we all drive these gas-guzzling pigs....And drive them as fast, and as stupidly as we can. If we can't burn all the gas quick enough, we can simply bully a few of the competition off the highway. A few years down the road we can try to shoot each other for the last gallon of gas. I can defend my choice....I have to, To myself....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Defend their choice??? Why don't we all drive these gas-guzzling pigs....And drive them as fast, and as stupidly as we can. If we can't burn all the gas quick enough, we can simply bully a few of the competition off the highway. A few years down the road we can try to shoot each other for the last gallon of gas. I can defend my choice....I have to, To myself....

Go for it ... if that's your choice. Did you bounce the occasional airliner back in your Sabre-rattling daze? I've been cut off by confused senior citizens many times. Does that mean I should demand that everyone take the bus after they turn sixty-five?

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
:-? juan, you're lumping a LOT of people in with a few who've stuck in your craw. A lot of people who use pickups to work, and who drive them responsibly. You're lumping them, us, all in with the few speed demons who can afford highpowered trucks for stupid reasons. They're the sort of people who are selfish and arrogant, and will be a danger on the road no matter what kind of vehicle they drive, be it a high powered truck, or a high powered Charger, or Mustang, or, or, or...

I get that what you saw on your trip ticked you off. And I get that you've made some choices for yourself... for your wallet, your safety, and your environment. And talking about that, that juxtaposition, makes a huge impact over time. It truly does. But, categorizing everyone with a truck in the same category, even categorizing everyone with the same type of truck (because some of those have those high powered engines for a reason), defeats your purpose imo.

In the end it boils down to people needing to evaluate what they have, versus what they really need. And in some cases, even people with cars ought to be doing that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
:-? juan, you're lumping a LOT of people in with a few who've stuck in your craw. A lot of people who use pickups to work, and who drive them responsibly. You're lumping them, us, all in with the few speed demons who can afford highpowered trucks for stupid reasons. They're the sort of people who are selfish and arrogant, and will be a danger on the road no matter what kind of vehicle they drive, be it a high powered truck, or a high powered Charger, or Mustang, or, or, or...

I get that what you saw on your trip ticked you off. And I get that you've made some choices for yourself... for your wallet, your safety, and your environment. And talking about that, that juxtaposition, makes a huge impact over time. It truly does. But, categorizing everyone with a truck in the same category, even categorizing everyone with the same type of truck (because some of those have those high powered engines for a reason), defeats your purpose imo.

In the end it boils down to people needing to evaluate what they have, versus what they really need. And in some cases, even people with cars ought to be doing that.

What I haven't added is a happy face of some kind. What I was trying to attract was a few agressive specimens of the strain of Crimsonus Neckus but none showed up. ;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What I haven't added is a happy face of some kind. What I was trying to attract was a few agressive specimens of the strain of Crimsonus Neckus but none showed up. ;-)

aw crap... no... you got one of the less aggressive, female specimens of the species. lol.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The many years I have been driving, over 50, I have had many questionable small incidents,
that made me shake my head, wondering what the 'idiot' was thinking in the other vehicle, but, twice I came close to losing my life behind the wheel, and both times, it was
caused by a 'semi trailer driver', who, in one case wasn't paying attention, and in the other
case, he was being very agressive, and deliberately tried to run me off the road, as he cut
me off of my lane, while right beside me, as( we were coming to the end of 'passing lanes' and he wanted to get in front of me, instead of coming in behind me,) as he should have done, and it was my own driving ability, and the fact
that I could swerve into oncoming traffic lane, as no one was coming toward me, as if
they had been, I was a dead duck, would have had no where to go.
I couldn't 'just' slam on brakes, I had to 'get' out of his way, fast.