Palin in 2012

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sure there have been, both the Bushes were conservative. Since they were both economic failures, now conservatives are trying to distance themselves from them, nobody like s loser.

But when the Bushes were in power, most conservatives staunchly supported them; they supported them to the hilt.

Especially the second Bush was the darling of the religious right. But both were definitely conservative.

I took him to mean philisophically, not party affiliation.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
But I am also talking of philosophically JLM; I am not talking of party affiliations. There are a few (and decreasing number of) Republicans who are not conservative. Juiliani, for one. Or Senators Olympia Snow, Susan Collins etc. (incidentally, when these ladies retire, the Maine senate seats are sure to go Democratic; I don’t see another moderate Republican arising to take their place).

But the Bushes were conservative philosophically and by party affiliation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But I am also talking of philosophically JLM; I am not talking of party affiliations. There are a few (and decreasing number of) Republicans who are not conservative. Juiliani, for one. Or Senators Olympia Snow, Susan Collins etc. (incidentally, when these ladies retire, the Maine senate seats are sure to go Democratic; I don’t see another moderate Republican arising to take their place).

But the Bushes were conservative philosophically and by party affiliation.

You're probably right but maybe Walter doesn't think so.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I think a few people tend to under rate the intelligence of Obama, he's the best thing that's happened for the U.S. since Reagan, don't sell him short.

I agree with the first part. "I think a few people tend to under rate the intelligence of Obama."

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I agree with the first part. "I think a few people tend to under rate the intelligence of Obama."

Not only that ironsides, but some people tend to underestimate his skills as a politician. In spite of his polite, civil demeanor, he a skilled, tough and consummate politician.

Indeed, I remember many republicans were rooting for him to win the primaries. Hillary was a seasoned politician, Obama was a neophyte. Republican thought they will be able to roll over Obama.

Even today, some republicans are under the impression that 2012 is as good as won for them, they may be in for a rude awakening. Unless economy is really in the tank come 2012, Obama will be a tough opponent to beat.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''I suppose they were but they were both up to their necks in wars.''

Wars create jobs for elites in the military industrial complex. Therefore, it would not normally create problems in the economy. Besides, both Bush's created the wars. Neither was necessary for our national interests.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
''I suppose they were but they were both up to their necks in wars.''

Wars create jobs for elites in the military industrial complex. Therefore, it would not normally create problems in the economy. Besides, both Bush's created the wars. Neither was necessary for our national interests.

Wasn't the war under Dad George started by the invasion of Kuwait by Saddam the Insane? Actually I blame Dad George for most of Sonny's woes. HE should have finished the job with Saddam, when he had the chance- with the invasion of Kuwait he had more than a good excuse to literally level the bastard.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Yes, Bush the Elder did start that war. But why since it wasn't any of our business? If ending dictatorships is such a good idea in order to save lives, why not invade Congo or Sudan where many more people died?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, Bush the Elder did start that war. But why since it wasn't any of our business? If ending dictatorships is such a good idea in order to save lives, why not invade Congo or Sudan where many more people died?

I think there may be a good reason for that, I doubt if there is much chance of anyone from Sudan or the Congo showing up on our door step, whereas we know how nefarious the Muslims can be as proven by 9/11.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
YouTube - Sarah Mania! Sarah Palin's Greatest Hits

My issue with Sarah Palin is not so much with her dogmatic ideology. Right or left, she'd be a terrible President. As for ideology, I don't think she has a clear ideology, let alone a dogmatic one. Her influence is clearly right wing, but of a provincial populist kind; she ain't no intellectual.

She is simply inarticulate. This is not an ideological trait, but rather a reflection of the clarity of her thought. There are left-wingers who are just as inarticulate, whose ideas are just as vague, ambiguous, contradictory and unclear as hers.

The worst part is this: though I'm more left-leaning overall (certain issues aside as many here are well aware), I'd still prefer a right-leaning candidate with a clear mind over Sarah Palin. A clear-thinking right winger, though I may disagree with his policies, would at least be able to come up with a well-thought out plan of action which, though I might disagree with them, and might even profoundly disagree with them, would be able to achieve something constructive to some degree. In fact, I might even prefer a clear-minded rightwinger over a muddy-minded left-winger in that such a left-winger's policies would be scatterbrained, all over the board, and would come to nothing.

So really, though I have issues with her ideology, I have even greater issues with her lack of clarity.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
YouTube - Sarah Mania! Sarah Palin's Greatest Hits

My issue with Sarah Palin is not so much with her dogmatic ideology. Right or left, she'd be a terrible President. As for ideology, I don't think she has a clear ideology, let alone a dogmatic one. Her influence is clearly right wing, but of a provincial populist kind; she ain't no intellectual.

She is simply inarticulate. This is not an ideological trait, but rather a reflection of the clarity of her thought. There are left-wingers who are just as inarticulate, whose ideas are just as vague, ambiguous, contradictory and unclear as hers.

The worst part is this: though I'm more left-leaning overall (certain issues aside as many here are well aware), I'd still prefer a right-leaning candidate with a clear mind over Sarah Palin. A clear-thinking right winger, though I may disagree with his policies, would at least be able to come up with a well-thought out plan of action which, though I might disagree with them, and might even profoundly disagree with them, would be able to achieve something constructive to some degree. In fact, I might even prefer a clear-minded rightwinger over a muddy-minded left-winger in that such a left-winger's policies would be scatterbrained, all over the board, and would come to nothing.

So really, though I have issues with her ideology, I have even greater issues with her lack of clarity.

Yep, those are pretty close to my sentiments as I indicated in post 175.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sarah Palin in a few years:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I think there may be a good reason for that, I doubt if there is much chance of anyone from Sudan or the Congo showing up on our door step, whereas we know how nefarious the Muslims can be as proven by 9/11.

And how does this pertain to Iraq, JLM? Saddam was not involved in terrorism, except perhaps in a marginal way. According to Osama Ben Laden, Saddam was not even a good Muslim. There was no love lost between Saddam and Osama.

When Bush invaded Iraq, he took his eye off the ball and let Afghanistan (which was the real hotbed of terrorism) fester. With his idiotic invasion of Iraq, he took valuable resources away from the fight against terrorism.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
''I doubt if there is much chance of anyone from Sudan or the Congo showing up on our door step, whereas we know how nefarious the Muslims can be as proven by 9/11. ''

History shows that Iraq has never invaded the USA nor did it ever represent any threat to us here in Minnesota.