Our cooling world

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A sight like this makes it all worthwhile though.

This last picture was north west of the tip of hudsons bay and at that time of the year that sun and it's sundogs go all around the horizon like that,getting a wee bit higher every day untill it's straight above you at the equinox and you can get a sunburn at 3am.

You can have a nice view complete with sundogs 24 hours a day for weeks at a time,thats why the north is so awesome!
There is nothing prettier than the sunlight broken into every colour of the spectrum from ice crystals in the air. Earlier you asked if I'll be in the trees or the barrens. I'll be in a spot where most of the trees are 1/2 my height but 3x times my age.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Walter the world is getting neither warmer or colder to the extreme.
We see minor changes throughout history and this is no different.
In the Middle Ages, we had colder temperatures but we didn't see
an ice age either. For a while in the twentieth century we have seen
some warming but nothing to be concerned about,
Look at the issues here. In the early seventies the hippies and others
started an environmental movement and proclaimed we were all going
to die if we didn't get a recycling bin. The people in general laughed
at them, until the consumer interests at the retail level took notice.
Then it became fashionable because industry could engineer the green
revolution. All of a sudden bags were bio degradable, light bulbs that
served us well and were cheap, were outlawed and we were presented
with light bulbs that are actually more dangerous as well as expensive.
Global warming and global cooling alarms are more about money than
anything else. Yes its about the Money and money alone.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That is as wide a pad as you can get on that machine
Actually tri-link and quad-link is available for D6 N & T models, enabling much wider track pads. And it's worth the cost. After all, they are designed for extreme conditions.
I agree, Challengers are more for maintenance than construction.
you need big iron to move that much snow.Your also dragging Core drills and 5000 gallon fuel sloops and at that temperature rubber or plastic doesnt last long.
Well, machinery in the Antarctic seems to work for doing all manners of jobs. A lot of that machinery uses rubber or composite track (snow doesn't stick nearly as much to it as it does to metals) and conditions are more severe in the Antarctic than in the Arctic.
I dont have a say on what machinery they have as it takes a year to get it to camp,sometimes a week long drive over the empty tundra just to get it there so you use what you have.
Yeah, there's always that end of it.
Ive been building ice roads and strips for years in the Arctic as well as managing the remote camps at the airstrips and that far north the ice builds an inch a day up to ten feet thick in some places so usually falling through is because of someones screw up or going to fast on the ice and haveing a wave going in front of you. Thats what happened a couple years ago at Ferguson lake,kid went over a pressure ridge in his cat,the machine dropped over the edge and shocked the ice so bad it tilted,the machine slipped under the ice and it then the ice went back to where it was and he was gone in seconds.

The reason I went through is a brain dead leadhand drilled a profile hole in the ice right next to the runway I was building and the snow you move is very heavy so the weight of it was forceing the water up from below the ice,he then took a skidsteer and covered it with snow,further insulating it so it wouldnt freeze and he never said anything to anyone.He didnt know that the snow has to be off the ice for it to thicken.

I am very good at what I do and working with amateurs is not my cup of tea,theres a lot of frenchmen in the arctic with 2 years experience and a level 2 supervisor certificate that makes them think they know it all because they spent a couple summers there.
I kept a remote summer camp open all winter and not many have ever done it that close to the arctic circle ever unless by accident.

I dont envy Petros,the worst part of winter is yet to come and northern Manitoba can be brutal.

A sight like this makes it all worthwhile though.

This last picture was north west of the tip of hudsons bay and at that time of the year that sun and it's sundogs go all around the horizon like that,getting a wee bit higher every day untill it's straight above you at the equinox and you can get a sunburn at 3am.

You can have a nice view complete with sundogs 24 hours a day for weeks at a time,thats why the north is so awesome!
Cool.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
**** tires. I'm going to burn blind polar bears that can't swim and rain forest heavy crude like they do down east.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Ahh, when your last prediction fails, move onto another and hope nobody notices...well I remember quite clearly the science illiterate claiming cycle 24 was going to cool the world drastically. Well it hasn't, surprise surprise... There were proclamations of new ice ages, and Walter claiming he would have to burn tires.

See this post from 2007:
Without sunspots it's going to get pretty cold around here. Better start burning more tires.

Bloomfield man concerned about the sun's future

Monday, November 12, 2007

To the Editor:
Each morning I turn on my computer and check to see how the sun is doing. Lately I am greeted with the message "The sun is blank - no sunspots."
We are at the verge of the next sunspot cycle, solar cycle 24. How intense will this cycle be? Why is this question important? Because the sun is a major force controlling natural climate change on Earth.
Our Milky Way galaxy is awash with cosmic rays. These are high speed charged particles that originate from exploding stars. Because they are charged, their travel is strongly influenced by magnetic fields. Our sun produces a magnetic field that extends to the edges of our solar system. This field deflects many of the cosmic rays away from Earth. But when the sun goes quiet (minimal sunspots), this field collapses inward allowing cosmic rays to penetrate deeper into our solar system. As a result, far greater numbers collide with Earth and penetrate down into the lower atmosphere where they ionize small particles of moisture (humidity) forming them into water droplets that become clouds. Low level clouds reflect sunlight back into space. A large increase in Earth's cloud cover produce a global drop in temperature.
Some scientist feel they have developed sufficient understanding to predict the intensity of future sunspot cycles. A Solar Cycle 24 Prediction Panel was hosted on 25 April 2007 with officials from NOAA, NASA, ISES and other agencies. They issued a consensus statement which came to the conclusion that the next solar cycle could be severe, peaking at around 140 International Sunspot Numbers (Ri) or moderate, at around 90 Ri. But a few scientist disagree. A number of well regarded solar physicists are predicting the next solar cycle will be far weaker than the last one.
A paper by David C. Archibald published in Energy and Environment in 2006 forecasted a low intensity solar cycle with a peak Ri of approximately 50. A few scientist have even claimed that we might be headed into another Solar Minimum. For the past few months, the actual sunspot numbers have been below NOAA's lower predicted threshold, approaching zero.
One of the last Solar Minimums was the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715 AD). During the 30-year period from 1672-1699 AD, there were less than 50 sunspots detected, whereas during the past century over the same period between 40,000-50,000 sunspots appeared. The Maunder Minimum corresponded to the depths of the Little Ice Age.
It wasn't too far back in time when the Mississippi River froze solid above Saint Louis. This permitted wagon trains to cross in the winter and continue their journey west. You can still observe old two story houses in Wisconsin where second floor doors open out into nothingness. This allowed the inhabitants a method for exiting their homes in the middle of winter when snow depths reached 8-feet and above.
So each morning, I get up and turn on my computer to see how the sun is doing. And I wonder!
James A. Marusek Bloomfield
What happened during this weak solar cycle? The warmest recorded 12 month period was reached in mid 2010. The warmest La Nina year ever recorded was during a double-dip La Nina in 2011. Sea ice at lowest volume ever recorded this past year in the Northern hemisphere.

All during a period when solar activity was so low that the deniers were telling us we would need to burn tires to keep warm...and here they are yet again, moving onto the next solar cycle when this current one was a bust for their lame claims.

Hilariously predicatable.

If anyone wants to check on all the myriad posts from Walt and the other deniers, try this in a Google search:
"solar cycle 24 :site://forums.canadiancontent.net"

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I didn't slog through 28 pages of dim witted bs ,so this may have been mentioned,but I boubt it.The lobster season in NS was pretty much f..d,the bugs weren't as valuable because the shells were soft,and that was because the water,of the Atlantic Ocean was two degrees warmer than normal.Now I may not be a climatoligest,but wouldn't it have to be generally warmer to warm up AN Ocean !!??

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
No...I'm saying that nobody needed to burn tires. I'm saying that denier predictions fail yet again.
Which climate-truther predictions have come true? Used to be cooling, then warming, then climate change and now it's climate disruption. Every time the prediction fails the goalposts are moved.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Which climate-truther predictions have come true?

None of your conspiracy minded ilk's predictions have come true, that's the point. Conspiracy theories shouldn't be expected to make successful predictions...far too many assumptions.

As for scientists, well plenty of predictions have come true. The cooling stratosphere, the warming troposphere, warming of ocean waters, the top of the atmosphere energy imbalance, polar amplification of warming trends, to name a few. All predicted by the physics before the monitoring was in place to validate the predictions. Some of those predictions even go back to the 1800's Walt.

There are some projections that are failing. For instance the ocean level is rising faster than projected. Arctic sea ice is declining faster than projected.

Every time the prediction fails the goalposts are moved.

Maybe you can provide an example, you know like I did with your shifting goal posts from one cycle to the next?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
All I know (locally) is that this has been a very warm winter (with a
few exceptions) and I've only had to plug my car in 8 nights so far,
with 5 of those being last week.

This follows last winter that absolutely sucked! It was very cold, with lots
of snow that followed lots of rain through the year that lead to flooding
through the spring into early summer.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Post #807
Yeah, burn more tires just to warm another another ice age. Like that'd help.
Genius.

Well, I hope this research that Walter found is accurate, but I have doubts. It said in Walter's link about what the University of East Anglia says that there's been no warming since '97. That contradicts the information from NOAA, GCDC, GISS, HadCRU, Berkeley, etc.
It sounds to me like UEA researchers need to get out of their offices and look at something besides their models.

Oh, and BTW, Walter and people of his ilk just pounced upon the info a couple years ago that UEA had been fudging data and analyses. Now Walter and ilk are all into believing UEA? lmao Credibility is about 0.

I didn't slog through 28 pages of dim witted bs ,so this may have been mentioned,but I boubt it.The lobster season in NS was pretty much f..d,the bugs weren't as valuable because the shells were soft,and that was because the water,of the Atlantic Ocean was two degrees warmer than normal.Now I may not be a climatoligest,but wouldn't it have to be generally warmer to warm up AN Ocean !!??
Pretty much.
There's vastly more water on the planet than land and it's a pretty good educated guess that if the water has warmed quite a bit in the past 50 years or so, so has the land.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sea ice at lowest volume ever recorded this past year in the Northern hemisphere.
Are 'they' yet aware that if you keep driving ice-breakers through ice that the ice will eventually get thinner. Are they also aware that if you want the ice to get thicker you drive around on the top and compact the snow to get the air out and that will allow the frost to penetrate deeper. In any Canadian city in winter the 'lawn' might see 4ft of frost, the roads that get traffic and no snow-cover had 12 ft of frost.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Which climate-truther predictions have come true? Used to be cooling, then warming, then climate change and now it's climate disruption. Every time the prediction fails the goalposts are moved.
Nope. You just don't understand much about climate, so it's confusing to you. lol

None of your conspiracy minded ilk's predictions have come true, that's the point. Conspiracy theories shouldn't be expected to make successful predictions...far too many assumptions.

As for scientists, well plenty of predictions have come true. The cooling stratosphere, the warming troposphere, warming of ocean waters, the top of the atmosphere energy imbalance, polar amplification of warming trends, to name a few. All predicted by the physics before the monitoring was in place to validate the predictions. Some of those predictions even go back to the 1800's Walt.

There are some projections that are failing. For instance the ocean level is rising faster than projected. Arctic sea ice is declining faster than projected.
As is the Antarctic ice according to recent research.

All I know (locally) is that this has been a very warm winter (with a
few exceptions) and I've only had to plug my car in 8 nights so far,
with 5 of those being last week.

This follows last winter that absolutely sucked! It was very cold, with lots
of snow that followed lots of rain through the year that lead to flooding
through the spring into early summer.
Well, things fluctuate from year to year and this year we had La Nina, too. What shows trends in climate is data over years, not just one year.

Nothing wrong with burning tires. Good way to recycle them. I don't know if you can get a residential sized furnace that can do it but industrial ones do.
Good source of energy, yup.

Are 'they' yet aware that if you keep driving ice-breakers through ice that the ice will eventually get thinner. Are they also aware that if you want the ice to get thicker you drive around on the top and compact the snow to get the air out and that will allow the frost to penetrate deeper. In any Canadian city in winter the 'lawn' might see 4ft of frost, the roads that get traffic and no snow-cover had 12 ft of frost.
That isn't much help if the warmer oceans are melting ice from underneath. It's why entire shelves were breaking of the Antarctic ice sheets. They were being eroded from underneath. Same thing concerning Greenland's ice.