Omnibus: Conservative Leadership Race

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Conservative politics are resonating with young Canadians, according to recent polls. Pierre Poilievre is getting much of the credit for this growth in support.

Political observers are trying to figure out what’s going on. And I might have some helpful insights to explain.

As president of Canada Strong and Free Network, formerly known as the Manning Centre, I have been particularly focused on engaging Millennial and Gen Z Canadians. I’ve spoken directly with countless young conservatives as we launch a new mentorship program for conservatives under 30. Over the past week, I’ve spent hours reading through applications for the program.

Here’s my biggest takeaway that might explain why young Canadians are becoming more amenable to conservative politics: Conservatism is the new counterculture. Liberals are now “the man.”
The rest at the above link.

In the 1960s and 1970s, the young rebels calling for freedom successfully championed voting rights and equality under the law. In 2022, young rebels want to end government overreach into our communities, pursue home ownership and embrace true diversity: diversity of thought.

It's that last bit that has me super suspicious.

While all for diversity of thought, just exactly what does that mean? Are we talking a Jordan Peterson diversity style, or just actual diversity of thought?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Conservatism is the new counterculture. Liberals are now “the man.”

Which was largely the revolt in the 80's and early 90's too if you think about it. Highly amusing - we fluctuate between "Don't trust anyone over 30" and "Don't trust anyone under 30 (thousand a year)"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Which is eventually the lesson these kids all learn :)
I analyze everybody on what I can learn and calculate about what their rational interests are. Then I pay attention to their actions and attitude, and try to figure what their emotional problems are.

Then I screw 'em outta their socks.