Neil Young calls Fort McMurray oilsands 'a wasteland'

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
In some ways Neil Young is a moron:

"Neil Young, a high-profile proponent of cars powered by alternative fuels, was recently stranded on the highway when his own $1 million biomass-powered hybrid car broke down.
California highway patrol officers found the Canadian rocker stranded on the side of a road near Donner Summit, Calif.
Young was on his way to an environmentalist festival in Canada, according to the Sierra Sun, driving his custom-made hybrid electric 1959 Lincoln Continental.
“The car is touted as the world’s first full-sized luxury series hybrid electric car powered by biomass, according to the LincVolt website,” the Sun reported.
Young recently joined Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) and Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D., Mich.) at an event pushing for the reauthorization of federal regulations mandating the use of ethanol in gasoline."

Neil Young's Electric Car Breaks Down, Left Helpless on California Highway | Washington Free Beacon

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"Neil Young calls Fort MacMurray oilsands 'a wasteland'"
He's just jealous that he isn't as pretty as Ft. Mac.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Neil Young isn't much of a Canadian. He lives in Northern California where the palm trees meet the redwoods.

Is there anyone who lives in the U.S. that you approve of? -:)

In some ways Neil Young is a moron:

"Neil Young, a high-profile proponent of cars powered by alternative fuels, was recently stranded on the highway when his own $1 million biomass-powered hybrid car broke down.
California highway patrol officers found the Canadian rocker stranded on the side of a road near Donner Summit, Calif.
Young was on his way to an environmentalist festival in Canada, according to the Sierra Sun, driving his custom-made hybrid electric 1959 Lincoln Continental.
“The car is touted as the world’s first full-sized luxury series hybrid electric car powered by biomass, according to the LincVolt website,” the Sun reported.
Young recently joined Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) and Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D., Mich.) at an event pushing for the reauthorization of federal regulations mandating the use of ethanol in gasoline."

Neil Young's Electric Car Breaks Down, Left Helpless on California Highway | Washington Free Beacon

Sh*t happens to everyone at some point and everyone has bad spells resulting from stupidity but that doesn't necessarily make them a moron. I'd also hazard a guess that in some ways he's brighter than you are! -:)

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Is there anyone who lives in the U.S. that you approve of? -:)

My sympathies are with the white working class. However, I am very well disposed to South and East Asians, and Muslims. I sort of like Han Chinese people.

Sh*t happens to everyone at some point and everyone has bad spells resulting from stupidity but that doesn't necessarily make them a moron. I'd also hazard a guess that in some ways he's brighter than you are! -:)
Neil Young is much smarter than I am in an idiot savant sort of way...no offense intended.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
So skin colour is an issue with you!

Chestnut colored and peach colored lasses from East Asia are something special.

My origins are among the white working class. Amerika has become a tribal society. Each distinct socio-economic/demographic group constitutes a separate tribe. Tribal coalitions are only possible among some of the different tribes of Amerika.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Where are the pictures of the reclaimed areas? There are two sides to this story and, obviously only one is being heard which is BS!!

JMHO

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The eco-lobby does not like to show before and after pictures, especially of those areas that were naturally barren as the bitumen was directly at surface.... It hampers their ability to increase donations from the gullible

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
On some of them. Others are more problematic. There are Roman mines that still pollute water so much that nothing can live in it. The Giant Mine in NWT just passed a billion (taxpayers) dollars to clean up.

Clearcutting wasn't as bad as people said it was, but that didn't help. Image is everything and the industry had to adjust or lose customers and a lot of them. The biggest problem (in my opinion) was the destruction of creeks. They'd be full of debris and silt by the time the company was done. Nowadays companies put a lot more effort into the long-term prospects of the land they are working, and that's not a bad thing.

If you want to work the land and make a profit from it, you have to take care of the land for the future. And, in my opinion anyways, it's a legitimate job of government to take care of the last half of that contract.

Governments have always been part of the problem. In a way they are much like corporations. More interested in short term revenue than long term security. If there are no rules there can be no rule breaking right? Besides governments have been notoriously short sighted over the years and have squandered huge amounts of money to clean up a perceived problem. Forest renewal in BC is a prime example where we were digging up roads that hadn't been used in 40 years but will soon be needed for needed for silviculture and harvesting.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
roflmao

But it is for a good cause so it doesn't count. Was the power used to post it generated by bird killing windmills or fish killing hydro power?

I'm always curious about what it must be like living in harmony with Gaia's critters and in perfect symbiosis with the land... And still be able to connect to the internet and post away.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm always curious about what it must be like living in harmony with Gaia's critters and in perfect symbiosis with the land... And still be able to connect to the internet and post away.

Not to mention driving an old polluting beater running on fossil fuels down the highway to protest oil sands.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Not to mention driving an old polluting beater running on fossil fuels down the highway to protest oil sands.

It's for a good cause

Not to forget that in being a dutiful protester, one must have a long hot shower in the morning and sit for a hearty breakfast prior to engaging the difficult work of holding a picket sign.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's for a good cause

Not to forget that in being a dutiful protester, one must have a long hot shower in the morning and sit for a hearty breakfast prior to engaging the difficult work of holding a picket sign.

Been my experience with tree huggers that the shower is kind of an annual event unless caught in a rainstorm.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Been my experience with tree huggers that the shower is kind of an annual event unless caught in a rainstorm.

Good point; I guess that I was stretching back in time when there were many professionals involved in the Clayquot Sound protests and that they would look towards some kind of reasonable hygiene... But then again, those folks are employed - probably have a slightly different standard than the balance of the Earth Rangers that are hell-bent on saving the world