Man gets 6 years for homophobic, debilitating attack

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Praxius If anybody ruined someone else's life like they did in this case said:
While I agree with what you say, I don't agree with the abusive manner in which you attacked my opinions. I'd have a lot more respect for you if you had simply said "I don't agree. :smile:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
By the same token was the senseless beating half to death of the white truck driver by marauding blacks in the streets of Los Angeles in 1994 a hate crime?

Yes it was..... just as the incident that caused those reactions a hate crime..... ie: all those police officers ganging up on one black guy and just unloading the beating on the guy.

Or the sodomizing and killing of a boy by homosexuals (can't recall exactly where or when) a hate crime?
Can't say I remember that and almost sounds like you made it up just for the sake of argument..... but either way, that would have been tied to Pedophilia due to being a minor..... unless you can prove the minor was assaulted due to their race, religious beliefs, etc.

Bottom line is that "hate crime" is idiotic.
No, some people just don't understand how the legal process works and how it differentiates from one situation to the next based on what occurred.

No one situation is exactly the same, which is why we don't have just one law against multiple types of crime..... otherwise people who accidentally killed someone in a motor vehicle collision would be spending the same amount of time behind bars as the serial killer who ate babies.

There's more to a crime then just The Action..... you need to include intent and motive to better understand the crime in question so that proper justice can be met based on the specific crime in question.

^ Of course this obviously didn't happen in the above report.

A dead or a beat up, person is a dead or a beat up person, regardless who that person is and/or who committed the crime.
Well with that mentality, I guess there's no point in investigating a crime, finding out who did it, why they did it, or punish them, nor should we find out who the victim is, investigate why or how they got where they are now, or if they have any loved ones looking for them.

It's just a dead/beat up guy...... case closed.

Cripes.... way to take a lesson in justice from the Mexican police there buddy. :roll:

While I agree with what you say, I don't agree with the abusive manner in which you attacked my opinions.

Abusive?

Attacked??

I told it as I saw it, I didn't abuse or attack you in anyway. My response would have been the same towards anybody else saying what you said, and I would expect to get the same attitude back at me if I made such ignorant claims..... and if you agree with what I said, then why the hell did you say the opposite which created my response in the first place?

I suppose me being "Abusive" and "Attacking" was a hate crime?

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you had simply said "I don't agree. :smile:
Good thing I'm not in here seeking respect then...... and if all you want others to do in a debate is say "I don't agree" whenever it comes to something you say, then it's not really a debate is it?

Nor does anybody get a chance to understand why they don't agree.

You get to voice your opinion, have everybody read it...... but everybody else should only say "I agree" or "I don't agree?"

Give me a break...... you've been in these forums long enough to know better then this.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Praxius Good thing I'm not in here seeking respect then...... and if all you want others to do in a debate is say "I don't agree" whenever it comes to something you say said:
OK, I'll amend that to say "I don't agree because". :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
By the same token was the senseless beating half to death of the white truck driver by marauding blacks in the streets of Los Angeles in 1994 a hate crime?

Or the sodomizing and killing of a boy by homosexuals (can't recall exactly where or when) a hate crime?

Bottom line is that "hate crime" is idiotic. A dead or a beat up, person is a dead or a beat up person, regardless who that person is and/or who committed the crime.

Nah a dead person who broke into your house and was just pulling the knife out to kill your preteen daughter isn't the same as a dead person who was enjoying a drink with coworkers that ran into a drunk homophobic jerk with a handgun in a bar.

If would be better if you just got your information straight.
For starters, Reginald Denny, the white construction worker who was driving the truck and was assaulted during the L.A. riots wasn't murdered. He's alive though doesn't seek the media at all. He did appear on a talk show after the attack and shook the hand of one of his attackers after he apologized.

Still that was a hate crime by definition though Williams, the guy who beans Denny with the brick, is now serving 46 years in federal prison for another murder, he was never convicted under hate crime legislation.

The reason it is added on to other charges is to distinguish a crime that is based on bigotry rather than any other motive.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
He might get a clue what it is like to be something other than a homophobic male?

Oh, an maybe a frontal lobotomy to get rid of his violent tendencies.

Sounds like you have some violence tenancies as well, Cliffy, calling for the guys balls to be cut off.

Any assault where the victim receives injuries such as he did, should be punishable by 10 years plus, regardless of the motivation behind it.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If I beat the shyte out of you and while I'm doing it I call you all kinds of names including queer and faggot ....and it turns out that you are not........Do I get a reduced sentence???:lol:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If I beat the shyte out of you and while I'm doing it I call you all kinds of names including queer and faggot ....and it turns out that you are not........Do I get a reduced sentence???:lol:

Being insulted is usually the least of your worries when you are getting boots to the face. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No polling but I've asked around before.

I've seen my brother attcked unsuccessfully by straights many many times but never he or his friends instigating anything.

Something else I've noticed....

It's hard to tell the difference between drunk sports fans and drunk gays.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Depends on if you use your purse as a weapon or not. Sorry "travel satchel". :p

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Depends on if you use your purse as a weapon or not. Sorry "travel satchel". :p
It's called "A man bag";-)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are instances where it is a hate crime, and others where it is not. If you are pounding
on someone and tell others it is because the person is faggot, then I think the person who
committed the crime, has in fact convicted himself. sometimes people end up in a fight
where it is more about education that hatred. Say you have some fool who is drinking beer
off peoples tables, or they keep bumping a provoking another person to the point where it is
no longer possible to ignore. Or for someone to be getting hit and then deciding to defend
themselves. If they beat the other person, rather severely I don't classify that as violence I
call it education.
There is no excuse or reason to beat someone up because of race, gender, religion or just
because you can. I think we could throw in all kinds of other rules too, was it a hate crime
or bullying? Either way for the crime itself, six years is far too light. Remember the person
will get out in less than six years. Maybe for hate crimes, actually proven we could double
or triple them with no time off, no time served and no parole of any kind, make them do the max.